Kettlebell strength training and flexibility/mobility. Are you feeling stiff? 10 KB exercises to challenge your ROM 💥

okieallday

“The problem is my body is pretty stiff, which is no surprise with the life I’ve been living. Maybe there are some better/easier/more suited methods, routines etc. for a completely unsporty guy like me?”

Maybe you can relate to this question. For those that do, here are some kettlebell exercises you can use to put your own ROM challenging routines together with kettlebells:
  1. Spiral press

for thoracic rotation
  2. Pull-over into scap opener

for triceps, lats, and scapulae
  3. Racked deep squat

for ankles, knees, and hips
  4. Thoracic hyperextension lift

for thoracic extension
  5. Side bend

for thoracic lateral flexion
  6. Rotational clean

for thoracic rotation and hips
  7. Jefferson curl

for thoracic and hip flexion
  8. Cossack squat

for hamstrings
  9. Overhead reverse lunge

for thoracic and hip flexors
  10. Windmill

for thoracic, shoulders, and hips
There is so much more to explore when it comes to using kettlebells for flexibility and mobility.

IMPORTANT: All to be done slowly with lightweight and challenging your ROM on each rep. Once you’re more advanced and know your strength and range you can add more weight. Remember progression. PROGRESSION. Ask questions if unsure.

I personally incorporate lots of dynamic stretching in between sets, before, or after, in the workout, or all.

If you’re someone who does not want to devote time to stretching (it can feel like a chore sometimes) then look at exercises that test your ROM in all angles (see list above) and hide them in your workouts with focus on ROM. I sometimes put a workout together just focussing on ROM, one such workout is the Thorax Workout or more full body The Grinding Warrior.

Remember, any exercise is dangerous when done incorrectly, without common sense, without the correct weight, or without PROGRESSION.

@okieallday I hate to be a naysayer, but some of these are textbook ways to injure the spine or shoulders. Especially for the spine, end-range rotation, flexion, or extension (i.e., hyperextension) should never be done under load.

Specifically, #1, #4, #6 are dangerous and should not be done by anyone who values a pain-free back.

@moorelake7 I would avoid #6, and #4 is demonstrated with too heavy of a weight, but the instructions are to do this with a light weight, as mobility exercises. The Jefferson curl (#7), for example, it is suggested to build up to 10% of your deadlift, with months of practice.

@moorelake7 You're welcome to your opinion. Facts and results speak the truth. Those are right here and with the people I train and have trained, 45 years of age, lifting, running, fighting, and injury free. Injury free because of my training. Yes, these exercises can cause injury, but so does ANY exercise that is not progressed to or done with common sense and knowledge. At some stage people were saying that the TGU was dangerous for the shoulders and one should not rotate the shoulder under load like that, they not seen it before, they were scared. There is hardly bad exercise/movement, only people that don't understand them, use common sense, and/or ignore progression. Progression in range, speed, and weight. 🤘

Thoracic rotation, golfers, fighters, and baseball players make these movements all the time, the fact others are not is a cause for injury. Your spine is designed to rotate. Your spine is not designed to sit still for 24x7, 365 days a year, and then decide to go crazy with rotation.

KB sport lifters hyperextend their thoracic all the time, they trained for it, same story.

Question for you. Do you think the Bent press should not be performed? What do you think is happening here
and here
?

@okieallday You're not arguing from facts. You're arguing from your own unique experience and what you think works based on your observations. You have been challenged based on a reputable experts' opinion.

What, specifically, do you have as a basis for what you speak of?
  • Credentials (PhD? MD?) Photo of same requested.
  • Papers from reputable academic journals of anatomy/ sport / weight training?
  • A major reputation for training athletes?
Any or all of the above are used by the serious coaches and exercise trainers such as Rippetoe, Pavel, and the schools they have formed. They make a point of backing up what they say.

@okieallday I'm going to try this tonight, I have to consistently work on thorassic mobility to avoid shoulder impingement, and some of these look good. My mainstays are overhead squats with light weight, and German hang with foot support (German stand on box?) As long as I practice those consistently, the thing that really gets the T-spine moving is sport style clean and jerk.

I do think it is important to roatate the upper spine under light load. How much does the blue one in the video weigh? You toss it around like it is less than 16kg.

@jim35215 Hi. Absolutely, it's important to rotate the thoracic. The blue bell is just 12kg, but that's all I need, it's about the movement and light resistance. I had a look at the video, I like what he says "the exercise is not dangerous, it's a lack of preparedness".

@okieallday The guy who says that "weighted extension or flexion at the end range of movement is dangerous" isn't wrong, but 12kg is fine; it supports that much routinely.

@jim35215 Absolutely. But it depends on who, strength, conditioning, weight, etc. everything taken in context. What's dangerous for one might not be for another. Take someone unconditioned and even 12kg is not a good idea. As for end range, I agree, it's obvious that's where the danger lies, but again, take someone with control, strength, and knowledge and they can go further than others.

End-range in any exercise under load is a dangerous area.

I did not read that his whole opinion was based on end-range, it was more part of it and he was simply against those movements under load, period. Hence, my reply. 👍