Kid refused to spot me today, so I returned the favor

@pastorpontibus I never said I wouldn’t teach anyone?

The entire comment chain was in the context of “if other options are available”.

When I need a spot, should I ask the constant gym goer I nod at and have previously spotted/been spotted by, or should I stand up and make a scene and ask everyone in the gym if they’d like to learn how to spot real quick?

It’s none of my business nor care if someone wants to learn how to spot. If they come to me and ask I’d be happy to oblige, I never said otherwise. I made a statement about who I would ask if I needed a spot. It’s a completely different thing,

Not only that, but come on, it’s 2023. There has literally never been more easily accessible resources to learn something like that. Acting as if the only way to learn how to spot is to go hang out at the gym and sulk around until someone reaches out and asks you to do so? Right

Also didn’t even bother answering my obvious question since we all know what the answer is

@nmsoni You hear accusations in everything, huh? You should get that looked into. That's not healthy.

Online learning is great when you know what questions to ask. If you don't know, it can lead you to disaster.

@aeri20 Hes probably new and doesnt know gym etiquette.

Honestly though at the end of the day its just common sense & courtesy for others, both of which are lacking in todays society.

@jpadrig nah not knowing gym etiquette is something like "not knowing to offer to let someone to work in", "not helping someone rerack their weight if you're taking over their spot when theyre done", maybe "not putting dumbbells back" but that one is a stretch.

Refusing to help someone when asked (for extremely simple things like this) is just being an ass hat

@pastorpontibus You missed the point of what i said. My guess would be you are kinda young(ish), havent sorted thru too much trauma, etc in your life. But, we all have to learn and there’s more than one way to do it. But, Iv seen a lot in my years and have developed a bit of empathy for others in my life.

@riverrace Tell me which kind of trauma makes it ok to be rude to strangers?

Things may not be your fault but they are your responsibility. Shitty behavior is shitty behavior.

@nmsoni Again, insecurities, social awkwardness, not being sure how to accomplish a task AND not being self confident enuff to admit “hey, idk how to spot u safely” could cause an abnormal reaction like that. Of course we are responsible for our behavior, thats how we learn; but, if the rude one failed at a very low weight, it demonstrates that he hasnt been in th gym long, he’s new, young, and needs positive instruction about pretty much all things gym wise.

@nmsoni I have the “we’re all in this together” philosophy. Where the wiser, older, mature, more fortunate ones instruct/educate those in need of the aforementioned instruction…..thus making the world a better place attitude. You might not have that and thats ok. We all start somewhere.

@riverrace I really don’t disagree with you at all, and genuinely agree fundamentally with what you’re saying.

Unfortunately we have to take OPs story at face value (which I’m already hesitant to do considering how “and then everyone clapped” it is), but if we go off of the story I don’t see how OP didn’t already attempt to do that with this person and they dropped the ball. At least twice.

OP says the kid had an attitude even after OP politely let him know how many sets he had left. Then, second chance, when OP asked for a spot. This dude had 2 different opportunities to not act like an ass, and took neither.

What do you think, sincerely, would come out of a conversation OP could have with that kid about this? In my (admittedly anecdotal experience) those high school/early college age kids are the absolute worst when it comes to gym etiquette and any kind of social interaction that would be considered remotely reasonable for an adult.

OP could have gone even further out of his way to be warm and welcoming with this person, but at that point, why bother?

@riverrace Lol. I'm 51. A humble person knows you can't judge anything from a single sentence, but you rushed in anyway.

Empathy isn't the issue. Rudeness shouldn't be rewarded. I acknowledge the kid may be fighting his own personal demons, but there's no cause for being impolite.

@pastorpontibus Im close to 60. Former combat veteran, x fire/medic, retired LE (SWAT, K9, U/C Narcs), school resource officer, coached kids in pretty much all youth sports from age group 4-14 (including hischool football as an asst coach).

I could tell by your views you havent the life experience I have, or worked with diff types of youth as much as i have. Thus, the youngish comment.

Most ppl dont get to see or experience what Iv seen in life.

As far as the humble comment seems u did the same.

@riverrace Your resume is lovely, but doesn't change a thing. You made an arrogant assumption, got caught, and now you're doubling down on your nonsense. Why?

You don't know a thing about me. You don't care. You just want to bitch and pretend to be superior. Go outside, grandpa. Learn to be humble, and maybe you won't make yourself look like a damned fool.

@pastorpontibus Im not superior to anyone. You just dont like what i have to say. Thats why youve gone to the insults and I havent.
Unlike you, Iv earned my views.

Stay strong internet tough guy.

@riverrace I bet you wonder why your family doesn't call you, too.

Learning to admit when you're wrong makes you a better person. They might even forgive you if you learn how to stop being so arrogant. Bye.

Back