Kid refused to spot me today, so I returned the favor

@aeri20 You both sound like you’re 12 years old. I’d argue you’re worse since you had to make a whole Reddit post about it to feel better about yourself

@aeri20 Most of the "kids" at my gym have no concept of gym etiquette or how to behave around other gym-goers - and it's much worse when there are a group of them, they tend to feed off of each others bad behavior.

The good thing is that most of them burn out in a few weeks when they realize they aren't going to get jacked in a month and that all those curls they spend hours on aren't doing anything for their abs. However, there are a few that seem motivated and very respectful of the equipment and people in the gym, and of course, there are plenty of examples of grown men and woman behaving just as badly.

Anyhow, back to your story. I'd probably have let out a Nelson laugh at that kid after he failed on 115 after the way he acted...

@benjaminthewolf I hate seeing complete noobs doing a bro split and every set is forced reps. Obvious beginners doing forced reps, 3 sets for 4 different exercises of the same muscle... people shouldn't burn out and leave, everyone should lift.

@livingme7 I agree, but I’ve learned to just let them go through that stage on their own. The vast majority of people don’t react well to lifting advice at the gym no matter how you approach them.

However, if I see something actually dangerous I’ll always say something - I’ve seen some rather nasty injuries and I don’t want anyone, even the asshats, to get hurt. The actual worst for that is the Smith, you can’t roll or dump that bar and almost nobody sets the pins properly.

@benjaminthewolf Yeah there a LOT of people usually kids doing some absurdly dumb shit as far as training goes. Not that they are actually training.

But most of the time none of these people want you to walk over give program advice and tell them they aren't growing because they aren't eating enough.

There's literally nothing you can do until they want to learn. Then chances are they'll hit Google and endup on reddit or some mainstream lifting site or forum. And they'll end up following a program.

As in. They'll figure it out on their own. None of those kids are gonna walk up to you and say bro how do I get like you?

And especially if they're in a circle with their squad. 100% it will not be well received if you try to advice them on anything.

Point being, you just observe. They'll figure it out, they'll burn out and quit, they'll ask for help if they want to ask.

People are acting in this reddit like we all have a personal responsibility to invade the personal space of a minor or 18 yearold stranger and just start telling them everything they are doing wrong.

Obviously a LOT of people do really dumb shit in the gym. Unless asked for help. Your job is to do absolutely nothing.

If someone is about to become a paraplegic in the squat rack then YES go help. Otherwise don't do anything.

@benjaminthewolf Yep. All the teens at my gym, they don’t even wipe down equipment. At all. I’ll go to a bench and see visible ass and back sweat marks. They get up, and simply walk away.

I walked over to the assisted dip machine, no one around. Did like 3 sets, and I’m standing there between sets, and a teen walks over like “Hey I was using this machine, I know I have been gone a long time, but can I still work in?”

Like bro you have been gone for 15 minutes. Go do something else. All I said was “Yeah you can just have it, it’s all good.” And walked away to do a different exercise.

They also will group together, talking and yelling, slamming weights, blocking path ways. Like I’m happy they enjoy working out, but have some respect for others, especially when a dude 3x your size is trying to walk through.

Back