Low calorie count + workouts = tired

@unhappymale I am a registered dietitian, and I can tell you that is definitely not enough for someone as active as you are. Listening to your body is far more important than listening to calculations. If you are constantly tired and exercising regularly, you need more calories and likely more carbs as well. I hope this helps!

@unhappymale Id recommend more salt. It gave me my energy back and I started losing more weight. We lose around a gram in an hour workout, recommended daily is 2 grams, and you're probably getting less since you're calorie restricted. Not getting enough salt and getting depleted is dangerous. I personally eat a cucumber in brine before a workout. They barely have any calories 😊

@unhappymale I switched from running four 10Ks a week and doing some bodyweight fitness to lifting 5x and doing 2-3x HIIT sessions, and here are some things I observed:

Distance running suppresses my appetite, so I was under eating and not aware of it. I noticed it by suddenly being too tired to take the stairs and performing really poorly on my hikes, and generally feeling tired all the time. Even then, it was difficult to eat because I had no appetite except on non run days.

Cardio accumulates gigantic deficits to help overall weight loss, but cannibalizes muscle if you aren't eating high protein and sufficient calories. It can make you thin, but with a dumpy butt and weak core. Basically not great looking naked.

I eventually got sick how of how I looked and felt by under eating and doing tons of cardio. Heavy lifting makes me look SO much better. I have a healthy appetite and can do far less restrictive cutting because my muscle mass makes my resting caloric needs higher, and HIIT is so effective at fat loss (I just do more HIIT sessions and eat less carbs to cut, with only a moderate reduction in calories, and it's super effective).

@unhappymale As a nutrition student, are you working with a dietitian? Or just a nutritionist. There’s a difference in schooling and certification.

I’m 21, 5’9” and 150ish and my deficit is at 1800 working out twice a week am walking 8-12k steps a day.

Try to calculate your total energy spent in a day (there are online calculators for this) and reduce it by 500 calories for a 1lb a week loss or 1,000 for a 2lb a week loss. Play around with what works for you. When it comes to dieting, slow and steady wins the race! People who crash diet (go on a huge deficit all of a sudden) crash and burn. Their progress isn’t sustainable.

Maybe bump it up by 250 calories a week to find a sweet spot between wright loss and hunger/tiredness

@unhappymale
  1. Your calorie count is too low. I also have a rmr in the 1300s. That is the number you do not drop below. I am currently recovering from surgery and had my nutritionist build me a special meal plan while I am on the couch for a week and it is still 1400 calories. To do nothing. I have a training schedule similar to yours and I typically eat about 2k and am still losing fat.
  2. You are probably tired because you are are not eating or sleeping enough. 7 hours is very low for a person maintaining an athlete level of training and your body is very clearly telling you that truth.
  3. You didn’t say what % carbs you are eating, but it’s possible you may need a greater % specifically on running days. Maybe try carb cycling.
  4. At 46, cortisol is a thing. You didn’t say what your weight or goals are or why in God’s name you are trying to get to 1250. All I can tell you is that if you are trying to lose weight, My nutritionist and trainers told me that if I kept my pace like yours (like it was) I would burn out and not be able to compete. And I wanted to punch them but they were right. After 8 weeks plateau’d and exhausted and cranky, I slowly added a few hundred calories a day, dropped my cardio to more LISS, added more plyometrics, heavier weights, took one cardio and replaced with yoga, upped my fat % to 45, increased my nighttime sleep and dropped to 16% bf. Age 42.

@unhappymale Is she actually a nutritionist? Because this isn't a protected term and anyone, including me, could do an online course and become a nutritionist. Maybe consult a dietitian who would be better qualified to edit your diet.

Everyone's weight fluctuates - yesterday I weighed 1kg less than I do today - it's the weekly average that you need to look at.

Why not re-com? Increase strength (and more muscle = more food!) and drop fat. Win Win.

@unhappymale I used to cut and keep my calories low all the time. It made me weak, tired, and hypoglycemic because I kept my carbs too low. I felt shitty all the time. Then I changed my goals to strength training, powerlifting, and being an overall badass. Now I eat around 2000 calories a day and am actively trying to gain weight (muscle). 31 years old, 4’9”, 120 lbs, 22.7% body fat.

While the latter part there is just my personal goal, I highly recommend listening to your body. You need to eat more. I’m so much happier now that I actually have energy, which is exactly what exercise SHOULD be doing for you. Otherwise, it’s self defeating. Furthermore, if you can’t fuel your body enough just to stay awake, how do you think it’s affecting your progress in the gym? It could cause a total backslide if you aren’t fueled up.

@unhappymale My first assumption is that you should definitely get your thyroid checked out. Especially if you have any other symptoms of low thyroid like hair loss, constantly feeling cold, or mood swings.

I also think you should up your calories a bit more if you’re working out so much. You might not lose as much weight as fast but it’ll be more sustainable and you might have energy levels to keep going through your workouts.

Upping your calories is terrifying. I am 30, lift twice a week and am currently training for a marathon so I’m eating 2400 calories a day. I’ve actually lost 2 lbs and got down 1% body fat.

Good luck! And definitely consider your thyroid!

@unhappymale I'll just tack on to all the other comments. I'm 5'4" and my maintenance is around 1600. If you're straight up exhausted, it isn't about macros, it's about energy. You aren't getting enough of it. 1250 is so low; even when I cut on low carb with zero exercise for 6 months, I was eating around 1250.

@unhappymale 1200 calories!! Oh no that is not nearly enough calories for how active your are. I would up your carbs by 50-100g and see how you feel. Protein intake is good, but you still need carbs for energy.

@unhappymale I was running three mornings a week and lifting three afternoon too weak and I tried every calorie level from 1800 to 1200 and 50 calorie increments and couldn't lose weight until I got to 1200. I was perimenopausal at the time and I think it's just remarkably tough to lose weight at that time. I also struggled with feeling weak and tired. I wound up stopping the running and I was able to scrape about 5 pounds off all together using this strategy. After the holidays I decided to focus on building strength and I got as serious as I possibly could in the gym and I ate enough protein and I ate at maintenance. I was able to maintain at about 1700 calories. Then I tried intermittent fasting, still staying at maintenance, and I lost an additional four pounds. And I'm not tired and I made considerable progress in the gym. I'm still not back to running but I plan to start once it warms up a bit.

@unhappymale I would be really wary of a nutritionist who helps you get to such a lower calorie goal at your height. What is their education? Do they have a certification?

I know outside of the US there are countries where a nutritionist is the professional name of someone who got a degree and passed licensure requirements.

However, in the US a nutritionist is anyone who wants to be call a nutritionist. No education needed. A Dietitian is someone who is has a degree and is licensed to practice. And Dietitian programs are hard to get into and their internship is harder.

@unhappymale Are you tired during your workouts or during your life.

If it's at all possible I would start with trying to get more sleep. No tv no PHONE no screens before bed, just straight to sleep as soon as you can.

Sleep is the single greatest tool to weightless other than calorie deficit. Maximise this and the weight should come off all else being equal.

If it's tired during your workouts you could try some intra workout carbs. The RP Diet is pretty low calorie, and they get away with this basically by having you eat protein through out your day but only carbs before/during right after workouts.

Look at your meals, could you be eating more voluminous foods? Potatoes for instance get a bad rap, they are more satiating per calorie than rice.

If you ARE getting the most sleep possible I'd say supplement to with caffeine between 200-300mg about 30 minutes before your workout. No that's not too high, it's been studied many times.

Thanks folks... I have an appointment with her Tuesday so I'll ask again.

The dietitian did recommend the calorie count. Surprisingly my BMR is in the 1,350s (I've been tested 3x in the past 4 years).

I've always had problems with my weight and can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs during the day. I feel like I look at food and gain weight. I had worked with a nutritionist before (4 years ago or so under the same workout conditions) and she also recommended 1,250. Neither of the nutritionists allow for the 'extra' calories created by workouts.

I really appreciate the hive mind on this one!

@unhappymale Question: is the person you're seeing a nutritionist or a dietitian?

You've used both terms in your post, but they're not interchangeable in this way. A dietitian (in the USA) needs to have a medical qualification; a nutritionist doesn't. Likewise in the UK actually. I'd be both incredibly surprised and somewhat terrified if a dietitian were suggesting that you eat below your BMR - unless you're morbidly obese, but given the activity levels you've listed I'd suspect this isn't the case.

Is the person you're seeing a medical professional?

@niko The woman I saw a few years ago was a nutritionist. Now I'm seeing an actual RNP at a Bariatric Surgery office and a dietitian (at the same office).

@unhappymale Ok, so based on the mention of Bariatric Surgery office here, my guess is that you are or have been looking into weight loss surgery such as a gastric band, right?

In that case, the calorie recommendation makes slightly more sense (or is at least less terrifying), but is still most likely the cause of your low energy issues. And also still pretty bonkers, IMO.

Back