My biggest gains was in happiness. Thank you r/bodyweightfitness

olenka3byl

At the beginning of this year I (21F) made a cliché new year resolution to start getting healthier. I wanted to make a difference for my mental health. I was like, ok, I'll do a program three times a week, every week.

This year was my final 6 months of uni so I had to wrestle a graduation project which demanded long hours alongside a casual job, and with no rest time in between I immediately was working a 9-5 for the remaining 6 months and also running a volunteering organisation outside of work. Some days I would be too exhausted and dread exercise. Some other biological reasons I have also knock me down a bit. But I would always at least stretch or maybe just attempt something, anything at all.

So I did what could 3 times a week. For 12 months. Here's some of my progress (this is not my complete program):
  1. 5x5 waist-height incline pushups to 3x7 normal pushups
  2. 0 pull-ups to 3 pull-up negatives
  3. 3x10 squats to 3x5 assisted pistol squats
You'll notice for 1 year, it's not much. And I'm not surprised. I couldn't prioritise exercise every time and efficiently progress. I only made small dietary changes when I can (reduce processed foods and eat more protein). If someone was to look at a photo of me before and after, they also wouldn't see much transformation.

Yet, despite all this, I'm happy. I'm happy I found this sub and all its supportive people. I probably won't be an amazing gymnast doing levers and planches any time soon, and I'm still on a long road to my first pullup. But I'm glad I'm here.

Thank you, r/bodyweightfitness!

@olenka3byl Happy for your progress. Keep it up!

5 waist height incline pushups to 7 normal pushups for a woman is not bad progress at all.

But yes, you can still push harder.

@matthewg Great point! My brother hurt himself a bit when one came lose as he was working out. For that reason, I always check that mine is properly 'telescoped out' before I start a workout.

@cbsmel Doesn't that depend on your hand orientation? Palm towards you is a chin up, which does focus on biceps and back. Pull-ups with palms facing away are more your scapulas. At least that was always my understanding.