No joke post

@danield93
I barely find time to exercise and I haven’t been sleeping well / eating healthy either.

Rather than trying to formulate some masterplan workout that hits all the bases and doing that every day, maybe you should timebox 20-30 minutes to work out and do a variety of things in that time. Do whatever you enjoy or aligns with your goals, plenty of KB programs can fit into that format, 30 min of rowing isn't bad either. If you show up consistently you'll see results, picking something you can stick to is the most important part.

I wouldn't put much effort into working out for longer than 20-30 minutes a day until you get your sleep, diet, and other responsibilities under wraps. If you've dialed in the rest of your life and you have the time/energy/motivation to do more then by all means, do more if you want to. If however you're struggling in those other areas, I would wager putting that extra time towards getting more sleep, eating better, etc. will have a higher ROI on you reaching your goals than working out for 45 minutes per day.

@danield93 Seems fine but I'd build up to all the first. Maybe half or even a quarter of everything you're listinghere & just randomly go a bit closer to 100% of the workout you're writing here when you're feeling good.

A day you're not feeling good is 30% of the work or even a rest day for example. An amazing day is 100%. Over time you'll probably get much closer to 100% often since this seems pretty easy so long as your intensity is more moderate.

@danield93 S&S or DFW are great for time limited schedules.

Unless rowing daily is a component of grad school, that's a huge time sink, including the logistics of getting to the water, dropping the boat in, rowing, pulling the boat back out, etc etc.

Sleep is very very important, for everything, and your workouts will suffer if you routinely undershoot sleep.

Pro-grad-school-tip: get on top of time management and personal/daily output expectations ASAP. Your supervisor doesn't want you to burn yourself out in the first semester. Make yourself a regular 37.5/40 hr M-F work schedule and stick to it. That will leave you plenty of time for sleep and exercise.

@danield93 That’s a pretty good set of exercises in my opinion. Likely not enough recovery between sessions.

If you stick with those exercises I would go about it like this:

Mon + Thu: 100 push-ups and 100 goblet squats

Tue + Fri: 200 swings and perhaps farmer/suitcase carries/marches

Wed + Sat: 7-10k rowing

This way you ensure 3 days between each session types. Grind lifts one day (push and squat), Ballistic hinge and core on another. Lastly your pull day/zone 2 cardio on another day.

Another option:

Mon + Wed + Fri: 100 push-ups and 7-10k rowing

Tue + Thu + Sat: 200 swings and 100 goblet squats

This way you have: push and pull/cardio 3 days a week, squat and hinge 3 days a week. Essentially upper body and leg day splits.

If the push-ups become easy switch to dips or add a resistance band.

Of course use heavier bells when everything else becomes easy.

Not sure about the rowing though. If you feel like you need a bit more intensity there, you could maybe add kb rows as a finisher after the actual rowing.

Also mix up sessions of the same type each week with light and heavy days. So either do less volume some sessions per week or use lighter kettlebells or less distance rowing.

Hopefully this will keep you training consistently without overtraining. Also will cut down your daily training time and give more space to handle the grad school life.

@danield93 Mate I've been there with the university workload. It was one of the most challenging things I've done. So I fully understand where you are coming from.

This is just my opinion but like others it's probably too much volume for everyday. However I am a big fan of doing something every day.
Most of my workouts are around 30 mins. I do a push pull legs split with some KB work on the other 2-3 days. If I'm feeling like I need to rest I'll take a day off.
It's not about destroying yourself every workout, it's about being consistent and thinking about longevity.

My recommendation is first make sure you are sleeping and eating well,managing stress then fit something small every day.
Like others they recommend DFW. I think iron cardio program is also very good.

Good luck with it.

@danield93 Cut those numbers in half and you could have a solid program. If you're using anything heavier than a 16kg bell, the 200 swings alone are going to wipe you out, especially if your whole day is hectic.

@danield93 I’ve been doing the giant program before work at 5am (I work a 8-5 and am a full time grad student). It’s only 30 min for 3 days a week. Not only is it timely, I am also seeing real gains from it. I’d say it’s work a try

@danield93 Why are you doing so many reps? You could quarter it use a challenging weight and see better results and a lot less time taken. Unless you are training for 1000 swing challenge...🤔

@danield93 Just because of grad school that isn’t a reason to be to busy to eat well or sleep. 24 hours in a day sleep
6-8, workout 45min 3-4 times a week. You have plenty of time to make good decisions.

Do you think grad school is harder than real life. Prioritize a high quality life and set a routine.

Kettlebells can’t save someone from themselves if they aren’t prioritizing themselves.

If you want a plan. Then get a simple plan that can scale over time basic movements based on a timer that pushes you through the workout. Keeping it simple is the most important part. You shouldn’t have to waste mental energy on what to do just go do it.

@danield93 Training for an hour a day, every day, is the opposite of what tired and malnourished people with time constraints should probably do.

At least alternate the rowing and resistance training, and just go for a walk or something instead once or twice a week.

Or, even easier;

Mon: Push/Swing/Squat
Tues: Row
Wed:Rest/Walk
Th: Push/Swing/Squat
Fri: Row
Sat: R/W
Sun: R/W

@danield93 7-10k rowing is at least an hour right there.

Maybe the issue isn’t time, but boredom ? Try something that mixes up each workout. Don’t think you need to run yourself into the ground each time. Vary the load (light, medium, heavy) by manipulating different variables like intensity (weight lifted), volume (how many sets and reps) and time.