Only kettlebells vs. kettlebells and barbell Training g

pstevens

I’m curious roughly what % of the community here trains kettlebells as the only implement vs. the number that trains kettlebells in addition to barbells.

Also, do most of you guys see kettlebells as a complete training tool or more of a supplemental tool to add to heavier barbell lifting?

@pstevens I use kettlebells as a supplemental tool. If I were to wager a barbell to kettlebell ratio it would be about 80/20. To be fair, that 20% is not only fun, but also leaves me huffing and puffing.

@dawn16 So you use the barbells for strength and the bells mostly for conditioning? Wonder if anyone here has a high level of strength solely from kettlebells.

@pstevens
So you use the barbells for strength and the bells mostly for conditioning?

Exactly.

Wonder if anyone here has a high level of strength solely from kettlebells.

Strength relative to kettlebells, strength relative to barbells, or both? I know there are a few IG persons who throw around 48kg+ kettlebells for impressive reps/sets, but then when they show a video of barbell work it is more of "meh" reaction.

@pstevens What is a high level of strength?

Many strong people have trained with a lot of tools. It's difficult to find such tool centric dedication. Same issue applies if trying to find a very muscular kettlebell user. And even more difficult if limiting selection to just /r/kettlebell.

Barbells do have many logistical benefits: they are common and they are very flexible in loading. Not many people have kettlebells for example up to 92 kg so that they could do deadlifts with them. And many kettlebell exercises are ballistic which will train your grind strength too, but it is not the same. Your chosen test of strength affects the score.

@pstevens Ok - so first off - I'm more of a middle distance runner than anything - which isn't saying much because I'm just okay and I only run 2/3x week - but it's what I'm best at out of the things I practice.

In the past 10 years, in addition to running I played around on weight machines, then I used to do crossfit (4 years) , and then train barbells in more of wendler approach (coupled with more met con / cardio sort of stuff that he wouldn't recommend) (2 years), but I started grad school and dropped my gym membership about 5 months ago. I'm gonna stick to kettlebells as my only weighted implement for the next two years at least, and maybe for a lot longer.

I still, however, will train bodyweight movements and be running a few times a week. My goal is for maximizing general fitness / work capacity / strength: bodyweight ratio. I chase goals like low mile times, max pull ups in a set, and now kettlebell goals like increasing press load, tgu load, snatch reps in a given time etc. I'm a smaller guy (5'8" 140) and I find them to be a great tool. I never had great lifting numbers - for my size they were okay (225 bench, 340 deadlift, 150 ohp) - except my squat always sucked.

Personally, I see kettlebells as part of a complete training program (for my purposes) that needs no other equipment, other than maybe a pull up bar or rings. The only thing I feel like I'm missing when training with bells is maybe the stimulus that heavy deadlift and squat sessions can give, but since I'm not too concerned about absolute strength, it's fine. If I want a challenge I can do offset front squats with my 55 and 70 and it's plenty tough. I know it's not the same as back squats, but my core needs work anyways.

@pstevens I have done both

After 7+ years of doing gym based barbell/dumbbell workouts and weighted body weight VS my most recent training (6-7 months of kettlebells at home) I will never go back.

Nothing has made as much a drastic change to my physique in 7+ years of training as heavy swings have. I used to do a lot of different exercises but am now simplifyi my routine even more so because of the outright effectiveness of kettlebells.

Swings
Cleans
Squats (front/goblet/Pistol)
Pull ups

@dawn16 Can you elaborate on this a little bit more? Sounds like you’ve been getting awesome results from kettlebells. I’ve been training with barbells for about 4 years and have incorporated bells into my programs. I haven’t noticed as dramatic of a change as you described. I did S&S for several weeks with a 16 KG bell and then bought a 24 KG bell and did it consistently for several more. The swings and getups were hard at first but I felt like I quickly adapted to them and didn’t notice much change in my physique or cardio endurance for some reason.

@pstevens Of course; but perhaps I should add a disclaimer that if you're going for kettlebells ONLY, I would always recommend going heavier as I do.

24kg is fine depending on your body weight and if you're doing other exercises (such as body weight work), but to do such light weight as your sole training wouldn't yield as great results - then again I have never done super high rep workouts because I'm lazy. I can imagine upwards of 100+ rep sets of lighter weight would be great.

I also outgrew 20kg swings quickly and immediately went heavier because of aforementioned laziness. I'm now swinging 64kg easily (ordering heavier tonight), cleaning 48kg and doing front squats with two 24kg. I will never need to go heavier on anything at this point, just increase reps (front squats with 48kg + 24kg is the next goal).

My physique changes: great butt, monster traps, THICK back, incredible grip, bigger forearms and good hamstrings. This is all from swings alone.

Other changes/perks: cardiovascular endurance has improved without ever stepping on a treadmill. My legs feel 'hungry'; I feel like I can run forever. Train at home. Everyday. Whenever I like. And here's the big one: BANG FOR YOUR BUCK. No single training tool will make you a more well rounded athlete than kettlebells alone. Cardiovacular endurance, strength, POWER, mobility, explosiveness, heart and lung capacity, etc.

I think of it like this; would you be more scared of/impressed by someone who can deadlift 500lb once, or someone who can smash out 60+ reps of 60kg swings of sheer explosive power. It all depends on goals, but I'd much rather be the powerhouse workhorse than someone who can do the former. It's much more practical.. Again pertaining to what your goals are..

For reference, I'm 5'11 and about 200lb after a ballsy Christmas break. Soon my tools will be: 74kg kettlebell (swings), 48kg kettlebell (cleans) and 2x24kg. I will never need to go heavier in my life. I will eventually just focus on increasing reps with these tools.

Sorry for the essay. I love talking about my bells!

@pstevens Mostly use kettlebells but I compete in kettlebell sport lifting so I guess that's a bit of a given. Still squat semi regularly and deadlift on occasion but in general I'd say 95% is KB lifting and 5% is barbell. My sport training sessions are usually pretty tough so rarely put more than 140kg on the bar for squats. My PB back squat is 192kg for reference but that was a couple years ago before I started getting serious about sport lifting.

@pstevens I use barbell and kettlebells. I rotate in 6-8 weeks cycles where I'll focus on barbells with a 5x5 type program and then with kettlebells doing doing compound lifts but with a little more emphasis on conditioning.

Depending on which cycle I’m in i will supplement with the other tool. For example, when doing kettlebells I'll still deadlift and row with barbell.

Conversely, when focused on barbells I'll still swings and do TGUs.

Back