A Guide to Kettlebells For The Calisthenics Athlete

@raykay Shout out to @raykay !! These posts are so comprehensive and well organized and everytime I see a post of yours, it gives me more ideas for training variety. Great work, I really appreciate it!

@raykay This is such a fantastic post (I had already saved your post on sandbag training). As someone with both kettlebells and a sandbag, I appreciate you!

@raykay I've been doing a sort of hybrid Recommended Routine with kettlebells mixed in and I was wondering if this seems like a solid plan for a beginner (I've been doing it for a few months off and on):

Kettlebell Swings 3x10 (16kg) - still kinda experiencing some back pain so I sometimes cut down on them

Goblet Squats 3x5 (16kg)

Kettlebell Bent-Over Rows 3x5 (16kg)

Kettlebell Overhead Press 3x5 (12kg)

Pushups 3x5

Pull-ups 3x3 (I can only do about one to two pullups from standing, and then I do a negative or two)

Does this seem like a solid routine to work with? I know people tend to do a lot more swings, but again I've been having back issues (I'm doing the McGill 3 after this as a way to stretch and improve back strength). Wondering if I should do any variations on any of these or perhaps wait until I feel more comfortable and can hit 8 reps before messing with anything beyond these. I picked them because they feel like they're the most 'standard' versions of each movement from the RR mixed with kettlebell stuff.

Either way, thanks for the post!

@01love01heart That's a good routine, definitely focus on mastering the movements and getting to 8 to 10 reps. People do more swings as they get more efficient at them, starting with lower reps and focusing on technique is the best way to start.

Definitely keep practicing the kettlebell swing form and work on strengthening your glutes in addition to the low back. That's often the weakpoint for beginners.

For the glutes, just work in some kettlebell hip thrusts after goblet squats. Aim for the same number of reps once you get strong enough, 3x8-12. Really contract your glutes hard the whole movement, make sure not to let them go slack and your back arch. Focus on flat back.

Besides hip thrusts, I'd leave the routine as is and just keep improving at it.

@raykay Really great post! As someone not accustomed to working out with kettlebells I have a question born out of genuine curiosity: It seems many or most of these exercises can be performed with dumbbells; are there advantages to doing them with kettlebells instead? Thank you!

@pirroiepirit Yes and no. There's a bit of nuance to consider.
You can do the majority of these exercises with dumbbells. So if that's what you have available to train with, then use them.

The kettlebell has two potential advantages over the dumbbell, the weight distribution and the shape.

The center of gravity of the kettlebell is a bit offset, unlike the dumbbell where the handle is at the center. This makes the leverage more challenging, if you compare the same exercise with a dumbbell or kettlebell that are an identical weight, you'll notice that the kettlebell version will be a bit harder. So for people who don't want to have a lot of equipment or are space constrained, this is a big advantage.

The other is the shape, the handle of the kettlebell is well-designed for certain exercises such as snatches, swings, cleans, anything in a rack position, etc. You can comfortably handle heavier weights in ballistic exercises because of that difference. So if you're interested in a lot of dynamic/explosive movements, or lots of front rack squats, then kettlebells are worth using.