Orangetheory v CrossFit

ppat4u

Hi everyone! I currently go to Orangetheory 5x per week. I really enjoy it, but I am not really getting the results I want. I’ve gained some muscle, but feel like I need to lose some of the fat. Admittedly, my diet needs to be better, which I plan to work on as well. Has anyone done both and think one is better than the other for leaning out?

@ppat4u Personally I think CrossFit is way more fun, which would help me be more consistent. You’re also in a CrossFit sub so answers here might be biased lol.

Do CrossFit 4-5x a week and eat better and I promise you’ll see results. My mother (who’s now 57) has lost 80 lbs doing CrossFit and eating better. Her diet isn’t perfect but it’s much better than it was before.

@ppat4u I did OTF for years before switching over to CrossFit.

The former is like 90% cardio with very little strength programming (and the programming they do do is very light). CrossFit places much more emphasis on lifting heavy, but also does a good job of incorporating cardio/conditioning work as well.

I stopped OTF because I didn’t feel like I was getting stronger. Definitely don’t feel that way with CF 😁

@dawn16 I’m 5’10” 220lbs, 18% - 20% body fat on average. Been doing CrossFit 5x/week for 5 years. I am very muscular and strong, in the 300/400/500 pound BSD club, but cannot for the life of me shed the love handles and belly.

It’s very true that a bad diet prevents you from achieving the ideal physique, but my wife only cares about the muscles anyway. So, I get high every night and eat my chocolate, honey toast, skittles, cinnamon buns at will.

I’ve accepted that I won’t sacrifice the weed or the sweets haha.

@ppat4u I did OTF for 2 years before switch to CrossFit ( now in year 6). All the points on here about more strength are valid, so I won’t repeat them.

What I don’t see being mentioned, and maybe this has changed since I left: there’s no social interaction at OTF. They blast the music, dim the lights and you just sweat. You never spot a buddy or do a partner workout or give someone a high five, and there’s rarely any coaching or feedback on form. I don’t think the coaches at OTF even knew my name if it wasn’t on the TV.

At CrossFit, I’ve gotten to know people at my gym. We’re not best friends, but we talk about workouts, encourage each other, etc. my coaches know me, they know my strength, weaknesses and limitations and I can talk to them about how to approach a workout.

And also, in CF you build skills. At OTF I could run, row, and lift dumbbells when I showed up on day 1. Doing CrossFit I’ve learned Olympic lifts, double unders, handstands, etc. it feels like there’s always something to be learning or working on or developing or practicing.

@adafitchfe The amount of members an OTF studio has highlights the possibility that many people are not interested in the social aspect or learning tripleunders. We have several OTFs in the local area with memberships of over 300 and a couple with over 500. From a business perspective I assume one gives the people what they want not what they need.

@ppat4u I’ve done both, by themselves and concurrently, and have been an OTF coach since 2017.

Plainly put: the best exercise routine (and diet) is the one you will stick to.

I lean toward either one depending on my current goals, cause I’m a scatter brain. But below are my personal anecdotal pros/cons with each:

CrossFit Pros:
  1. more strength training, barbells, and specialized coaching for technical movements (weightlifting, gymnastics).
  2. Better opportunity for body recomposition i.e. maintained greater lean mass while losing fat (assuming diet is aligned)
  3. Community is outstanding.
  4. Creative, varied, and trackable workouts.
  5. Open gym availability to work on technical skills and mobility.
  6. Concept2 rowers - Niiiiceeee
CrossFit Cons:
  1. Overuse- related injuries. Tendinitis, muscle knots, etc. (albeit this is not CrossFits fault, per say, as much as it is the fault of ego, but there is definitely a “full send” mentality in the box.)
  2. The possibility of a lazy coach who does not help correct things such as lumbar flexion or poor overhead mobility (I’ve been to lots of boxes, good and bad).
  3. Coach won’t let me have more chalk GOD DAMN IT GARY I KNOW YOU SAID IT WAS A RUNNING WOD BUT I WANT MY CHALK.
OTF Pros:
  1. Running skill development, and cardiovascular fitness (went from a 7:15 mile to a 5:27 mile in 12 months, 5k from ~32:00 to sub 20:00).
  2. Everyday, isolated focus on trunk musculature and stability.
  3. Trackable workouts, both in performance and cardiovascular response.
  4. Everyday focus on with endurance, strength, or power. Weight floor portion is great on power days and endurance days, depending on the participant’s intention on that side. Strength days are great for gen pop.
  5. Great workout environment, good community (was better pre-COVID)
OTF Cons:
  1. For experienced athletes (yes, I call my members athletes), the weights are insufficient on strength days. No barbells.
  2. Coaching is all over the place, you could have a great, engaging, helpful coach… or a dud.
  3. Workouts can feel repetitive if done 4-7x a week
  4. With a 60-minute cap, not enough time for serious mobility work.
I’ve lost fat on both, I enjoy both, but sometimes you need to cleanse your palette. I say if you haven’t tried CrossFit yet, do it! Try everything you can until you find that thing, or things, that you find fulfillment in!

Back