Orangetheory v CrossFit

@ppat4u I did OTF for about 3 yrs but it started to not be enough of a challenge. With an awesome OTF coach's guidance I started finding ways to make the workouts harder...using the bosu more for balance challenges, etc. After a few months of that I realized I needed more. Crossfit definitely fit the bill. I went from being an "overachiever" at OTF to bottom of the heap-scaler at Crossfit. I've been at Crossfit for 3 yrs and it has increased my muscle mass and continued to change my body confirmation.

Thank you everyone for these comments! Super helpful. I think I am going to try CrossFit, maybe keep OTF one day a week and work on my diet (the most important to get fit as you all pointed out ☺️)

@ppat4u I did OTF for many years and switched to CF less than a year ago. My best advice after switching is to stick with it. There’s going to be a lot of new things to learn at CF and it can seem a bit intimidating. But stick with it. It’s worth it!!! I don’t think I’ll ever go back to OTF.

@ppat4u I’m actually the reverse of you. I’m quitting CrossFit to do OTF.

I loved 70% of the crossfit workouts but really hated some of them. I.e, thrusters. They just didn’t make my body feel good.

A good balance for me is doing OTF and supplementing it with weight training once or twice a week. Heavy squats, deadlift, bench, shoulder presses, and pull-ups.

@ppat4u Also many CrossFit gyms do have a sweat/combat type program classes that are CrossFit without barbell lifts and some of the tougher movements (muscle ups, hand stand walks ). That will definitely push you more than OT but also get you strong

@ppat4u The key to weight loss is consistency both in making sure you're eating well and at a calorie deficit as well as making sure you're working on consistently. So, picking a workout program you find enjoyable is key. Making sure to pick out healthy foods and a realistic way of eating is key.

@ppat4u The key to weight loss is consistency both in making sure you're eating well and at a calorie deficit as well as making sure you're working on consistently. So, picking a workout program you find enjoyable is key. Making sure to pick out healthy foods and a realistic way of eating is key.

@ppat4u I cannot say which is better, because I’ve never done Orange Theory. But what I do know about it is that there is cardio involved.

Not sure how much fat you’re holding now, but your diet is an important component. If you’re doing OT 5x a week, you definitely need to look at your diet then.

A lot of CFers count macros to hit their weight goals (whether they’re cutting, maintaining, or bulking).

@ppat4u Along with what everyone else says, I would not focus on cutting with CrossFit. It’s a recipe for injury and poor performance.

I did an OT type gym for a while after I slipped a disc. It got me confident in movements again and weight, but eventually I wanted that thrill and feedback of barbell and big weight again.

CrossFit to me is an every day thing, and honestly I get just as much cardio if done correctly

@ppat4u OTF is mostly cardio with some light lifting while CF is 50/50 mix of cardio and lifting. Both are forms of HIIT and both require you to follow a nutrition program to get your full results. No way around it except for genetics.

@ppat4u Honestly losing weight is all on diet. I don't think your results will be better by switching. But I find CrossFit fun. I think my box has a really solid community as well. Never hurts to switch it up

@ppat4u If you're worried about just the number of LBS/KGS then CrossFit won't work for you. But if you want to be in better shape then CrossFit is the way. You'll gain more muscle which will help with burning more calories and you're just overall in better shape. But like I said if you eat right and do CrossFit you'll actually gain weight just from all the weight lifting. Which is good or bad depending on your goals.

@ppat4u CrossFit has a greater learning curve. If you just want a workout, to sweat, to work...then Orange Theory is great. If you like learning, trying now things, and want to commit to fitness and the technical side of things, then CF is cool.

Personally, I think most people could skip CF and just sweat their.asses off and get into shape. Others, myself included, like the technical aspect of CF.

@ppat4u I do both. CrossFit 4-6x/week and OTF 2-3x/week.

Crossfit is a lot more fun because of the variability. Testing benchmarks helps see progress which keeps me coming back. Having performance standards to meet is another way to see progress (full depth squat, overhead position, etc). The emphasis on moving well and nutrition as the base of crossfit training is what creates long term change and keeps people coming back.

I do OTF and treat it as steady state cardio because of how much of each class is weighted towards running and rowing. There is no coaching and no movement standards so most people do as little as possible to move through the “floor” work. There are some benchmarks but they are all cardio related (1 mile run, 2k row, etc) and are things we test in CrossFit anyways. The emphasis on splat points encourages people to do things like redline on the treadmill then slow down to a jog to keep their heart rate in zone 4/5 which keeps their HR high even if they are slow jogging or walking to earn the points. This is not a beneficial way to get better at running or rowing. I primarily go to OTF because it’s down the street from my house and I can hit it a few mornings per week before work.

The weirdest thing about OTF is that there is zero interaction with other people. You rush station to station and bounce out after to make room for the next class. In crossfit there is naturally time during rest breaks during lifting, during transitions while warming up, etc. to talk to people and get to know them. There are partner workouts as well which is different than just sharing equipment in a circuit like OTF.

Back