Progress— size 14 to size 4, 197 pounds to 130

christianmormon

I hope I did this right!

Starting weight was 197, size 14. 5’3 for reference.

I didn’t diet at all. I made significant lifestyle changes.

I ate fast food once a day at my peak weight, plus multiple sodas. I was very sedentary.

I started slow. I cut out soda except for one a week, and stuck to the perimeter of the grocery store when shopping. I cut out almost all processed food. If I didn’t prepare it myself, it wasn’t eaten. This part was surprisingly easy at first. I was motivated. When I looked at it as getting healthier rather than getting thinner, it made a huge difference. Mentality matters, ladies!!! I started couch to 5k at this point too. That was harder. I was so embarrassed at how hard it was to run. I got a used treadmill on Craigslist and used it because I didn’t want anyone making fun of me out in the real world.

Changing my relationship with food became difficult after a few months. It was hard to force myself to eat. Logically, I knew I needed food to survive. I knew not eating would have detrimental effects and slow down progress. Again, mentality matters. Be kind to yourself! You wouldn’t starve a friend you’re trying to help lose weight. You would give them heathy food and insist they eat it! Also about six months in I decided I needed to lighten up on my food rules. I was so unhappy. I missed soda and creme brûlée and pizza. This is when I decided to do what my grandma does— eat what you want, but smaller portions. This is ultimately what works for me. 90% of my meals are healthy veggies and fruits. The last 10% are small portions of the things I love. I will not spend the rest of my life not eating lasagna. Will not. It was at this point that things really started to go right. Not depriving myself, allowing some calories. My mindset improved and I just kept getting fitter.

About a year in, I was running 3 miles 5 days a week. This is when I added kettle bells. Man alive do I love kettle bells. I started doing kettle bells after my runs, which was WAY too much for me. I switched days, kettle bells on some and running on others, and that made a significant difference. I had a lot of trouble with energy and anxiety on my rest days so I started doing Yoga with Adrienne on those days. Highly recommend her! The yoga has helped with my running too!

A typical work out for me now, two years later:

M- run 3 miles
T- kettle bells- 2 sets of 15 swing squats, 2 sets of 15 goblet squats, 2 sets of 15 2 handed squats, 2 sets of 15 racked squats (one on each arm), plus whatever body weight exercises I’m in the mood for.
W- yoga with Adrienne
Th- run 3 miles
F- KB
Sat- yoga
Sunday- official rest day but sometimes I run if I feel like I have to have to

Typical food for a day:
Breakfast is black coffee with a splash of almond milk, maple brown sugar oatmeal, hard boiled egg

Snack would be 100 calorie bag of kettle corn or a piece of fruit or carrots and hummus

Lunch is either leftovers or a salad. Typical salad would be lettuce, sugar snap peas, sliced almonds, red onion, grilled chicken or seared tuna, oil and vinegar. Sometimes a piece of sour dough if the store put it out hot just when I get there

Snack would be another hard boiled egg and crystal hot sauce. I love hard boiled eggs. So much.

Dinner would be whatever, pizza or pasta or steak or chicken, plus a vegetable. The veggie MUST be 70% of my meal with the less healthy option being a smaller portion

Sometimes I’ll have an Outshine bar for dessert. Or true dessert for dessert. Like I said, I’m not gonna live the rest of my life not enjoying food.

I drink mostly water and will have a couple Dr. Peppers during the week.

One of the biggest, most important changes I made was how I spoke to myself. I wasn’t allowed to call myself names or be mean. You wouldn’t tell your friend or your sister she is a fat pig. Don’t tell yourself that shit either. Another big thing I learned was not to beat yourself up on the days you mess up. Some days you’re gonna eat a ton of crap. It’s easy to be like, well, I blew it. May as well call it quits. Every day is a fresh start. If you have a bad day, brush it off and declare a mulligan. One bad day is not going to destroy a month of hard work. It just won’t.

Little things I also do that may or may not help. I park far far away and walk to the store. I take the stairs. I stop eating when I’m satisfied, not when I’m full. If some food gets wasted, that’s okay. I don’t have to eat it just because it’s sad that it will get tossed. My body is not a garbage disposal. My goal was never to be a fitness model, only to be healthy.

Oh! And my best NSV? My rest heart rate is 65 now. Fuck yeah!

Back