Remember: You don't NEED Protein Powder (x-post /r/fitness)

@theeternaliam people are fucking crazy. And most of them don't have any sources. I'm not arguing with some bro who wants to eat 200g pro per day. Go nuts dude! Enjoy! You definitely aren't just wasting money and excreting all the excess! It also seems like the degree of militancy is directly related to lack of scientific support (see also: anti-vaxxers)

@folashade Oh yay, glad I'm not the only one spamming this link everywhere :) I think we've gotten pretty good in this sub at least at recommending 0.8 g/lb, with 0.6 g/lb being "okay" but probably not quite optimal (as opposed to zomg you're so protein deficient). I mostly just see the 1 g/lb still in /fitness.

@folashade For losing excess fat the protein intake of 0.8-1g/Lb is a normal recommendation. Different people have different goals and protein is a major part of reaching those goals.

@maxrap "Normal" as in many people suggest it? Or "normal" as in supported by scientific evidence? I know there are some studies showing that higher protein helps nitrogen balance and muscle retention during weightloss, but also many studies showing no difference between .7g and higher amounts. Again 1g/lb isn't hurting anything, but you can hardly say its crucial to weight loss. Eating 1g/lb can be pretty challenging on a limited calorie budget, restricting your food choices to the point where the diet is very unpleasant, so there are trade offs.

@folashade "Normal" as in a common suggestion, I haven't done the research into scientific for/against it. Around r/loseit and r/keto is largely where I base this "normal" suggestion. I agree there are certainly trade-offs to food restriction, and I personally do not believe there is any one way to do things. Starting out with the more common suggestions and then refining those choices to personal preference are what people do, don't they?

@folashade Intaking excessive protein is also extremely harmful to the kidneys. As someone who's had kidney reflexes (a very common condition) I suggest anyone who's had problems with their kidneys consult a physician before upping their protein intake to potentially dangerous levels. Seriously guys, it's no joke.

@theeternaliam
excessive protein

extremely harmful to the kidneys

Those are some vague qualitative adjectives there :) "Excessive" protein is not clearly defined. 1 g/lb is, in fact, excessive, but saying that much is "extremely harmful" for a young adult is hyperbole. It puts a bit more stress on the kidneys, for sure. Pushing it up to 1.5 - 2 g/lb, however, is definitely not optimal for long-term health.

@denice65 Uh, I'm sorry, are you a physician? i was speaking in loose, general terms because I'm NOT a physician nor do I have a PhD in Nutrition therefore I'm not about to conjure up protein guidelines for people inflicted with kidney issues.

And I wasn't even speaking to the young adults of the general population I was speaking to people of the general population that have had issues with their kidneys. Go read what I said in my post again and then use your copy and quote function on the part where I say verbatim "I suggest anyone who's had problems with their kidneys consult a physician," okay?

Maybe you should put your grammar book down and pick up a reading comprehension book. Lol it's almost embarassing how hard people try to sound intelligent and all-knowing on Reddit.

@denice65 There was nothing wrong with what I said, you chose my post to dissect because apparently you have nothing better to do and felt the need to parade your feelings of academic superiority around on a forum of anonymous strangers. This is Reddit, not an academic conference of scholars so please take a seat.

You're not only patronizing me, but also the other readers in this thread by suggesting that they would only understand my point if I had worded my response in the way that you have deemed "correct." Was the first sentence of my response general? Yes, but then I proceeded to clarify my general statement by specifically addressing people with kidney issues. I don't care if that's how you've been taught to write, picking apart my responses is both ludicrous and obnoxious.

@sotanaht The protein itself isn't bad, but the excess meat and dairy consumption used to meet those goals is. Other healthy foods are also displaced in such a protein rich diet.

@beseiber It takes A LOT of protein to cause kidney issues. more like 2-3g /lb, and even then, most people would probably be fine. If you have preexisting issues, then maybe its bad, but no healthy person is gong to have issues with 1g/lb.