REPORT! I did 100 pull ups a day for 30 days. The result was amazing!!

triumphant8891

I want to share with you guys my experience after doing 100 pull-ups a day for a month.

The method I use is Greasing the Grove (GTG). People here at BWF must be heard about it before.

It's a high-frequency, submaximal training method. Basically, you do sets of your 50%-80% max pull up reps throughout the day with long rest between and never go to fatigue.

I did 10 Pull ups with very bad form on the initial test.

So I start the first day with 6 pull ups per set and do 10 sets with total 60 pull ups.

Try to increase set/reps every day, finally, I reach the goal of doing 100 pull ups in the eleventh day.

After that, I was focused on form, not on the number. I try to pull up to the chest and keep my legs straight. I also try harder variations like L-sit pull up.

I got hit by flu at the end of the challenge. After 2 days off, I went for the final test.

I can do 11 chest-to-bar pull ups.

Overall, I very happy with the result!

The number of max rep increases not much (maybe because of the flu) but the form improved a lot.

If I don't pull to chest, I will do more reps, but I don't care about that.

After the challenge, I realize the importance of form in pull up or any exercise.

Quality over quantity!

Now I can do not only pull up but also muscle up!

And I know this method is not optimized for hypertrophy by I still have good gains on my back (maybe because I was focused on form instead of rep).

Other reasons for my success:
  • I 'm not tall and heavy (170cm and 63 kg).
  • I have good endurance (I run about 50km a week).
Sorry for my bad English. I am Asian :)))

Progress video:

@triumphant8891 Now I need a plan to achieve 1 pull-up

Edit: I'm aware of numerous guides for different exercises. Trouble is I've found so many that conflict with each other it's hard to know what's best - it's a long term project after all.

@rarelozo Negatives, my friend (aka eccentrics). As slow as you can go. That's how I went from about 2 pull-ups to about 6. I'm at about 10 max right now, but I don't work them 3-4 times per week like I used to, maybe once or twice a week as part of a larger 6-day routine these days.

If the bar is low enough, you may be able to jump to a bent arm hang, or if not, stand on a bench, or use a box or something, but you want to be able to get into that hang without too much effort, and then drop down slow as you can. I used to do a slow 5 count for 5 reps, 3 sets, 3-4x per week, but your routine will vary. I've heard of people doing each rep on a 10 count. The point is to do it under control.

After doing that for a couple of weeks, check your progress on a full pull up, assess, and adjust. Add reps, sets as you're able. You don't want your arms to be dead, so don't overdo it, but with some hard work, you'll see that first pull-up before too long.

Good luck!

@even_stranger_things The recommendation i follow at the start if this journey was

10s x 3 dead hang -> 10s x 3 active hang -> 10s x 3 hang in the top most position -> 10 x 10s x 3 sets negatives -> pull ups.

When you get 10s in 3 sets of dead hang go to active hang. I keep doing dead hang at the end of my series to gain grip endurance (probably my weakesr links).

I never finish it, because at 8 x 6s negatives I could do 1 chin up, and grease the groove (gtg) from there. I do chin ups exclusively, some day i will put the effort to get a proper pullup too.

After a lot of fuckarrounditis and some lesion i came back a month ago with some negatives. I start with some negatives, then gtg wroth 1 chin up per time and note I'm in 3. In a proper workout scheme (rep, rest, Rep, rest, Rep) in doing 3, 3, 2 al from a dead start.

The old RR had 3x8 row like prerequisite. If you are weak like me that's a good recommendation, I think if i flowed it i would get to chins faster.

@even_stranger_things Yes, absolutely lose weight.

In addition, after you get your first pull up, I hit a roadblock again. When (if) that happens, do pull ups (1 or 2) with active hang at the top. This will let you progress further.

@pvalencia6 With rows never gone too far. I hang some ropes from my doorframe pull up bar. That is to unstable for my level. In a proper bar I could do 3 x 4 from day one, but in my set up i can't get full retraction and I do something like 3 x 3. Passing with the angle don't feel good, is to easy cheat progress.

@justg Have you tried them hanging under a table for example? I would guess, that if you integrate rows, it should be a boost for your pulling strenght.

@even_stranger_things Body row (Australian pull up), Assisted pull up with bands or with a chair (put your legs on this), dead hang to active hang on bar, ....

I mean there are many ways to get your first pull up and they all work.

Just be consistent with your training and the result will come.

@even_stranger_things I'm 42 and female and I was not able to do a single negative a few months ago. As other posters suggested, just hang on the bar and try to work up to 30 seconds. Then try scapular shrugs as suggested in the pull up progression, that's how I worked up to negatives. Don't be discouraged! I felt like it was impossible that I would ever do anything over 1 negative. I started doing 1 negative per workout and after a few weeks added a second. Now a few months later I can do 3 sets of 3. Hopefully next year at this time I will report that I finally did a single real pull up. :)

@dannyt That's great work, grats on the progression! I will definitely look at the pull up progression and implement it in my training!

I remember when I started and I could only do 2 push ups, just 10 felt pretty damn impossible and now I'm doing 20 no problem. The feeling with negative is even worse because I can't even hold the position. My mom always told me that what dosent kill me makes me stronger and even though some of my training sessions does feel like I'm dying I have only gotten stronger so it's definitely true!

We must come back in a year and compare notes!