Science and Push-ups

@this_dot BTW guys if you had to be doing only 1 version on a floor push ups (excluding pike push ups and variations of handstand push ups like 90 DEG ) for the rest of your life, which one would it be? I'll answer with mine in a bit :)

@dawn16 That's it mate - yes to both. Hollow Body, planche lean push ups are the absolute best. They never seem to become too easy to bother doing them.

@this_dot Is there any research done regarding decline push ups and the difference in muscle activation or something?

I've started incorporating push ups but diamonds are a little too easy (I can do over 10 reps with relative ease) so I made it a bit more difficult by raising my legs and now it's appropriately harder. But it's replaced my normal pushup so I don't want to really be losing strength in that push while I train these decline ones.

@this_dot I can attest to the pushups working the dominant arm more. I usually do 300 pushups when it's my pushup day, and I subconsciously was applying more load to the dominant arm and the next day, I woke up with light soreness in the left pec and a lot of soreness in my right pec. It made that day fairly uncomfortable, lol...

@this_dot No worries! Thank you so much for doing so, I've read your edit. Sorry for being too lazy, but please know I really appreciate this post and it gives me more info about the push ups I'm doing. 😊💪

@this_dot
Suspended push-ups resulted in the highest vertebral-joint compressive forces, which can be relevant in people with previous lower back injuries.

What does suspended mean in this context?

The push-ups with less wrist and elbow-joint stress are the ones that adopt a neutral hand position (i.e., closed fists).

Huh, maybe this is why I prefer ring push ups...

@this_dot My right shoulder (and sometimes sternum) gets sore if I do too many push-up exercises in succession; Is this most likely due to improper form or possibly from an underlying issue within the shoulder (or rotary-cuff) itself?

- signed, some dummy who doesn't know what he's talking about

@this_dot Any information on decline pushups? I've injured my shoulder and was out for months from weighted diamond close fist hollow decline pushups. Scared to go back, but it was the best progression at the time for me.

@ameyer6 There's some stuff.
This one shows that with feet elevated 60cm your supporting 74% of body mass (normal push-ups about 64%). It should be less stressful for your wrists if you do them on your fists.

@this_dot So, your tldr states hypertrophy is similar to bench press at 40% BW, but further down in the study summary you state 40% of your 1RM which is significantly different for trained individuals.

Back