Semi-Beginner, need help evaluating and adjusting my gym routine

eagle1980

Hey all! looking for some help with my gym routine, will go over my goals, diet plans, and my current gym routine and looking for advice to reach said goals.
  • Goals (I know losing weight and building muscle will push against eachother, I'm looking for balance)
    • I'm currently 26 y/o male 5' 10" 230-235LBs, one goal is to get to 190 by May or June.
    • I want to have visible abs or at least reduce stomach fat
    • Develop my biceps to be more visible, my legs I'm pretty fine with how they are but of course will incorporate leg day to give arms a break etc.
  • Diet (Daily Goal: 1800 Calories, 100G Protein, I know I should eat more protein but this is just a starting point for now. I was doing 150-180G protein before and it was unsustainable for me with my calorie and weight loss goals)
    • I have done some weight loss from 230 to the 190 range in the past, and typically what has worked best for me since I'm picky is to eat the same stuff for most lunches and minimally swap up dinners etc. I usually only eat two meals a day and don't snack frequently.
    • Lunch: 4 Eggs, Greek Yogurt, Snap Peas, Pure Protein Bar, 1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese, 1 Cup fairlife Chocolate Milk
      • 800 Calories, 82G Protein
    • Dinner I typically do Homemade Pizza Bagels, Homemade Pizza, Smuckers PB&J, Etc. I don't like to cook much, trying not to dine out as much to save money.
  • Gym (Every Day After Weights I walk @ 20min/mile pace for 15-30 minutes. Will eventually raise that to running) I will also be snowboarding this winter.
    • Monday-Saturday on, Sunday off.
    • Monday:
      • Leg Press 200x12 3 Sets
      • Leg Extension 100x12 3 Sets
      • Leg Curls 80x12 3 Sets
      • Calf Raises x20 3 Sets
    • Tuesday + Friday
      • Shoulder Press 70x12 3 Sets
      • Lateral Raise 10x12 3 Sets
      • Tricep Pulldown w/ Rope 60x12 3 Sets
      • Pec Fly 80x12 3 Sets
      • Chest Press 70x12 3 Sets
    • Wednesday + Saturday
      • Shoulder Shrugs 35x12 3 Sets
      • Lat Pulldown 55x12 3 Sets
      • Seated Row 55x12 3 Sets
      • Bicep Curl 20x12 3 Sets
      • Hammer Curl 20x12 3 Sets
    • Thursday (Unsure what to do, something core related I assume)
That is everything I have currently. I'd be open to input on any category, I really need help with my weight days because I only lift for around 25-30 minutes and not sure what to do for core at all. I go to a small Snap Fitness and utilize most of the machines. Any tips or help are greatly appreciated! TIA

@eagle1980 It's uh.. not a great program. Find one online - I guarantee there are better programs out there

The fitness wiki is a good place to start.

There should not be proscribed weights in a program. That is something you dial in yourself based off your ability to lift the most appropriate weight for the rep range to approach or reach failure.

@kaiisbae Yeah that’s what I did, I’ve been lifting this for a month or two but took a short break. I raised it back then but had to lower it to this when I started back up again

@eagle1980 Beginners shouldn't be making their own workout plans up until they know how to do it. Pick one proven to work. If you insist on making your own at least put in more compound lifts.

@dawn16 Well it’s worked fine for me I’ve seen bicep and leg growth and weight loss as well but I took a break. The person who gave me it went from 290 to 180 so he knows something I’d assume. What do you propose then?

@eagle1980 A person losing weight on a program doesn't mean it's a good program.

I've already suggested it needs more compound lifts. You're doing legs once a week but everything else twice, why? You're starting your pull day with shrugs, why? Why have you chosen those weights, sets and rep ranges? What does your week to week progression look like? Without that it's just a list of exercises.

@dawn16 Don’t know what a compound lift is, hence why I’m on the beginner sub.

I don’t want to do legs twice a week as my legs aren’t the part of my body that need work currently, which is why I’m wanting to work on core the available day rather than another leg day.

The sets and rep ranges are what I was told, weights I adjust up or down based on failure. I was lifting 30lbs more for most machine weights but took a break so had to bring it back down.

@eagle1980 Compounds like bent over rows, squats, and deadlifts are exercises that hit multiple muscles at once. They are incredibly efficient for muscle growth and give you the best bang for your buck. For beginners, it’s best to use mostly compounds, as they have higher stimulus for the amount of fatigue.

They are also great for your core. If you use mostly compounds, you really don’t need any dedicated core work. Core muscles respond well to resisting movement. Like during a squat, keeping your spine straight, and chest up. Great for the posterior chain. Getting visible abs is almost 100% diet as well.

It would be a good idea to look into compounds and re-evaluate your plan. You want to get around 10-20 sets per muscle per week. Using compounds is a great way to hit this volume. Since there’s secondary and tertiary muscles used in compounds, the math can get a little complicated. Ex: every 2 sets of bench press, count for one set of triceps/front delts. Same with pull ups and biceps. My plan only does 4 sets of bicep curls a week, but with all the compounds it works out to 16 sets of biceps a week. This is why it’s a good idea to go with an established plan.

As far as legs go. You can’t just focus on the mirror muscles. The body is one unit and you need to treat it as such. It’s great that you’re putting a focus on your health, you just need to do a little more research.

Edit to add - You also need more than 100g of protein per day. 0.7g per pound is the widely expected floor. That works out to 160ish for you. You said that’s not sustainable with your calories, but that is totally doable with higher protein, lower calorie foods. Lean meats like turkey, chicken, pork with trimmed fat, protein powders, black beans. Stuff like that. I’m on 1600cal with 150g protein per day.

@eagle1980 It looks like you're putting together a 6 day ppl, so for that Thursday, I would add either another leg press or deadlift, then front and back core work like crunches and back extensions or good mornings.

@eagle1980 I second the recommendation for the value you will gain once adding a program that incorporates a high priority to compound lifts , you should try Boostcamp the app that's were reddit directed me as a beginner

@eagle1980 It’s not that bad. Start each session with your heavier lifts (don’t leave chest press till last) do the accessories like shrugs, lat raises, triceps and biceps last.

You don’t have to squat or deadlift but I would learn how to if you don’t know/aren’t confident with form. Start with kettlebell squats and deadlifts to get used to the mechanics and how they feel and work up to a loaded bar. Machines are also fine though so you really don’t have to.

I’d also add a hip hinge movement to your leg day, or the spare day - RDLs for example can be done with dumbbells, kettlebells, a rope machine or a barbell - just learn good form before going heavy.

A day of just core is a waste. You can add some things like pallof press, dead bugs, Swiss planks at the end of some sessions instead and do legs again on your spare day.

Regardless of whether you think they need work, do a second leg day, your older self will thank you for it.

There is nothing wrong with having weight targets in your programme as long as they aren’t just some arbitrary number. Some people prefer that and tend to go easy on themselves if it’s a case of how you feel - in saying that don’t go as heavy as you can straight away, dial it back a little and add weight each session. Once you get used to lifting and what you can lift you can start to base your weights of RPE (rate of perceived exertion) - then you can decide which method works for you.