Sheffield Powerlifing 2023: Preview and discussion post

nathan2018

Edit: Scoreboard link

What is Sheffield 2023?

Sheffield is a powerlifting meet hosted by SBD Apparel in the town of Sheffield in South Yorkshire, England. It is also the reason many of your favorite powerlifters didn’t compete in their respective National Championships earlier this month.

What makes Sheffield different from a regular powerlifting meet?

Two main things: The metric used to determine winners, and the amount of prize money available.

The goal of Sheffield is to break the official world records by as big of a percentage as possible. So while there will be some exciting head-to-head matches and rematches within individual weight classes, the final results of the meet will combine all weight classes and be based on who breaks world records in their weight class by the largest percentage (or comes closest to the world record, if records aren’t broken). There will also be prize money for breaking world records for individual lifts. The competition was initially planned to launch in 2020 but was postponed due to COVID-19.

The total prize pool for the meet is £365,000, and the maximum payout an individual lifter could win is £40K (25K for winning the overall competition based on breaking the total world record, plus an additional 5K each if they break individual squat, bench, and deadlift records). This is big money for tested powerlifting, which is not the most lucrative of sports. For comparison, the TOTAL prize pool for the 2022 IPF UK Arnold Powerlifing meet was around £26K

When is it, and how do I watch?

Saturday, March 25 3:30pm GMT (11:30 am EST / 8:30am PST). The event will be streamed on SBD’s YouTube page.

How were athletes selected?

. 1) 2022 World Classic Open Powerlifting Champions, who total at least 95% of the Classic Open world record total for their division, reflecting IPF records as of June 5, 2022. 2) Top performing athlete from each unrepresented IPF region in the IPF World Open Classic Powerlifting Championships 2022, ranked according to the percentage of the open world record total for their division, conditional on totaling at least 95% of the Classic Open world record total for their division, reflecting IPF records as of June 5, 2022. 3) Remaining slots to be selected by SBD.

A total of 24 lifters (12 men and 12 women) will compete at Sheffield. With a few notable exceptions, these are the top athletes in tested powerlifting.

Some major story lines going into the meet:​

The battle of the -76s

In the 2022 IPF World Championships, reigning -76 champ Jessica Buettner (Canada) was pushed to the edge by up-and-comer Agata Sitko (Poland). In order to match Sitko’s total, Buettner had to pull the largest deadlift by any woman in IPF history. With identical totals, Buettner won the championship on bodyweight, while Sitko went in the books as the holder of the world record total.

But Sitko’s world record didn’t stand for long. Another relatively new face, Karlina Tongotea (New Zealand) took the world record total at the 2022 Commonwealth Championships. So we have a three-way competition between the reigning world champ AND the last two holders of the -76kg world record total.

Beyond the fight between the three for the biggest total, it’s entirely possible that Tongotea breaks the squat world record, Sitko breaks the bench record, and Buettner the deadlift record.

Are Lya Bavoil and Taylor Atwood healthy?

Lya Bavoil (-69, France) is pound-for-pound one of the strongest female powerlifters out there, sitting at or near the top of various formulas used to compare lifters of different bodyweight. She has broken records in both the -63 and -69kg classes, and as a lighter -69 at Sheffield, Bavoil won’t have to do a big cut going into the meet. However, there are concerns about whether or not she’s coming into the meet healthy - she posted a video of herself failing a 200kg squat not long ago, and has made several references to overcoming adversity on IG posts. If healthy, Bavoil will likely finish in the top three and could win it all.

Similarly, Taylor Atwood (-74, USA) has been the uncontested champ in his weight class for some time now. He holds the current world record, but has an even higher total from a non-international meets (so it doesn’t count as a world record). But he does have some semi-recent injury history and has been uncharacteristically quiet on social media, leading some to speculate that he may not be 100%. That said, Atwood’s base strength is so high that he could underperform and still break a record or two. If Atwood is healthy and at his peak performance, he is the overwhelming favorite to win the big prize.

France could dominate the women’s category

France has become a major presence in women’s powerlifting. In addition to Bavoil (discussed above), they are also sending Noemie Allabert (-52), Jade Jacob (-57), and Tiffany Chapon (-47), all of whom are likely to be vying for the top overall spots. Allabert is a two-time world champ and seasoned international competitor. Jacob and Chapon are both rising stars, just 21 years old and second and first place finishers in their weight classes at 2022 IPF Worlds, respectively.

Can Jesus Olivares put it all together on meet day?

The only SHW competing in the men’s division, Jesus Olivares (120+, USA) has put up impressive numbers in training, but historically hasn’t been able to replicate his best lifts in international competition. Expect Olivares to load some crazy weights on to the bar.

Full Roster​

Women:
  • Agata Sitko (Poland)
  • Amanda Laurence (USA)
  • Bonica Brown (USA)
  • Chandler Babb (US Virgin Islands)
  • Evie Corrigan (New Zealand)
  • Jade Jacob (France)
  • Jessica Buettner (Canada)
  • Joy Nnamani (UK)
  • Karlina Tongotea (New Zealand)
  • Noemie Allabert (France)
  • Prescilla (Lya) Bavoil (France)
  • Tiffany Chapon (France)
Men:
  • Abdul Majeed Sulayman (UK)
  • Amar Kanane (Algeria)
  • Delaney Wallace (USA)
  • Eddie Berglund (Sweden)
  • Emil Krastev (Bulgaria)
  • Emil Norling (Sweden)
  • Gavin Adin (USA)
  • Jesus Olivares (USA)
  • Jonathan Cayco (USA)
  • Kyoto Ushiyama (Japan)
  • Michael Davis (USA)
  • Taylor Atwood (USA)

Want to learn more?​

Road to Sheffield preview videos of each most of the athletes are available on SBD's YouTube page

King of the Lifts and 2 White Lights each have preview podcasts.

Use this thread to discuss any questions you have, which lifters/match-ups you are most excited to see, and discuss the results and share highlights.

@nathan2018 I went with my coach and she said it’s so funny that my first meet is ‘like the oscars of powerlifting’ hahah. What a fight! Highlight of my day was Agata FINALLY getting that bench 💖 Heroic stuff. Had to leave before the men finished so just watched their 2nd & 3rd deadlifts from home and wow.. Jesus…

@nathan2018 I love this post, thank you for explaining! I have heard some of these names but didn't know exactly what Sheffield was or the storylines coming into it. Exciting!

@nathan2018 The biggest storyline to me is by far the battle of the -76s. My patient ass has waited way too long and I am deeply invested in this matchup.

@nathan2018 Oh god, so I want Jess to take it, mainly for my feelings. But Karlina is an absolute monster and I don't feel safe betting against her.

Your turn.

@ronit I have a hard time picking against Jess too, since she is so experienced with international competition, travel, and performing under pressure. And since deadlift is her best lift she'll have the opportunity to at least try to pull whatever she needs to win. So I think I have to keep picking her until she loses.

That said, Karlina is really freaking strong and Agata is young enough that she could make a huge leap forward out of nowhere and surpass the other two.

@nathan2018 I gotta say I think the main battle is going to be between Jess and Lina. Agata is the youngest and while that may help her overtake the other two eventually, it's not necessarily an immediate advantage as it would be in other sports. Plus, she's been somewhat unstrategic with attempt selection in the past, which is something Jess has been perfect with. No doubt it's going to be incredibly close though.

@nathan2018 Thanks for this write up, it's excellent back story to the competition! I was so bummed that the pandemic messed it up. Cleared my day tomorrow. Can't wait to see what Buettner can do!

Back