Start to train kettlebell sport

penfire1

Hi!

Im planning on starting training for kettlebell sport. I currently own one 24kg kettlebell which i practice C&J and snatches with according to this routine. http://www.girevik.info/gsprogram/eng/index/index (goal 100 C&J, 100 snatches, steep progression, using one 24kg kettlebell). My goal is to compete in clean and jerk longcycle using 2x24kg.

My question is wether this programing is efficient or not, if i should complement it with running, barbelltraining, bodyweightstuff or whatever. Im also unsure if I should get a 32kg kettlebell or another 24kg. At the moment i can press the 24kg for 2reps per arm and jerk it for about 10-15, snatch it about 7/arm. So I havent outgrown that bell yet.

@penfire1 Get another 24kg or even pair of 16kg and find GS trainer.
No, actually find a GS trainer and ask him first.
There is significant difference in technique of exercises and it's very hard to master without professional trainer.
Correct technique is vital for GS.

@penfire1 If your current bests are 15 in jerk and 7 in snatch, you don't need a 32kg at this point, nor a 24 really.

Long-term, your best bet is to get a pair of 16s and a coach and work on the technique. If you can't do 100 reps with the 16s, you definitely can't do it with the 24s. But if you spend a good 6 months or so working on technique, you can make great progress. Of course technique is a lifelong process. :) But otherwise you're risking hurting yourself.

@detrimony Thanks for the tips. I should look in to getting a pair of 16kgs. The nearest GS facility is about 1,5h away with train with a fare cost which would be like 15-20$ which I as a unemployed uni student cant afford :/

@detrimony I've looked into geting a pair, but I wont be able to get 2x16 for atleast 4 months. Would working up my numbers in 1h C&L be an efficient way for me to prepare for double 24s, or to practice until i can get double 16's?

@penfire1 It won't hurt! But you'll need some time under two bells to really prepare. OALC can be a good way to start, and obviously it's much better than doing nothing at all!

@penfire1 Start with 16kg bells. I'm a 105kg'ish male and it still took me a good 3-4 months working with the 16kg's before I was ready to move on.

Technique is very important but I don't feel a coach is completely necessary for learning the sport. Definitely a plus, but don't let it hold you back. There's plenty of info on the internets if you know how to ask the right questions.

I got most of my knowledge from simply watching tons of videos on the vfworkout channel on youtube. WorldKettlebellClub and kettlebellsport are another couple of good channels.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and good luck!

@penfire1 One thing that's helped me a lot is to video record myself. If you have access to an iPhone with slo-mo, even better. Compare your technique to the videos you can watch on YouTube.

@penfire1 First are you a male or female?

Second finding a GS trainer could be beneficial for technique. But don't break your bank on this.

Third train your GPP already now. Practice doing swings to build up stamina, power and grip endurance. Try to see if you are able to find a comfortable rack position and practice staying in it. Try to do the same with an overhead lockout with the kettlebell, work on getting comfortable letting the bell "rest" overhead. And possibly train some snatches and jerks etc to build up capacity.

@zuri I'm male. I've training a lot of swings and overhead rest by doing S&S, 10x10 swings and 1x5 getups daily, but I rather do sport training now.

Is the program I linked any good, do I need to complement it? Should I get a 32kg or another 24?

@penfire1 A second 24 would be a must if you want to compete with 24kg doubles, as attempting to compete in doubles and having only done them the first time you get on the platform would be....not ideal.

The programming is fine given the limitations of the bells you have.

You need to figure out a few things

1) When do you want to compete?
2) Are you planning on competing in Long Cycle, or Biathlon?
3) How much does your technique suck? (We need video). Start by comparing your snatch tech to the video of Khovostov I posted a few days ago teaching.

Generally speaking any competently designed GS program will have the sport lift itself, at least one assistance lift , barbell squats and barbell jump squats, and some form of steady-state cardio (typically running or rowing)

@neelyowen Well, I didn't think about it that way. My plan was to somewhat master a single kettlebell before buying the next one, which wouldn't be the best decision. My plan is to compete in about a year, so not very soon.

I want to compete in Long Cycle. Im gonna try to uppload a video when I can, thanks for the tips.

By the way, are valery federenko's guides a good way to learn technique. It's the main source i've been using.

@penfire1 Valery Fedorenko is solid.

Have a look at the response from the user "aris" in this 2 paged forum post on Strongfirst about programming options: http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/vf-on-the-swing-and-get-up/

Have you set yourself goals yet and how much are you ready to invest? Coaching can be expensive, but doesn't have to be. Online coaching is an option, as well as a joining a physical GS community. Of course hands on coaching from someone capable would be best, but it can get expensive depending on various factors.

@penfire1 Valery is a very high-level player, but he quit early. All of his technique works, and is efficient, however, keep in mind that he some substantial specialized attributes that a given competitor may not have (very focused grip and lower back strength in particular). I believe Valery's specialization was in Biathlon (and snatch in particular) so for long cycle, I'd probably take a look at Rudnev, Ivan Denisov, and Arsenij Zhernakov

@neelyowen If you are going to listen to someone about LongCycle you should make sure their result is at least 1 rep per KG of body weight using 2x32KG bells. I had this result and so do all the best lifters in LongCycle. You are correct I retired early, I had records at 18 years old that stood for years and took some lifters more than 10 years competing before they beat them as grown men. You also have never seen pictures of me as a child, I was much more skinny and weak than someone like Denisov. Anyone who says my back or grip is naturally strong is a liar, jealous, or misinformed (or all three). My skills with kettlebells came from practice not from being naturally strong, and the same can be true for anyone here.

@countrychristian07 I didn't mean to imply your results were from genetics, and if that was insulting I apologize. I would submit that anyone who has put in the work to be able to do a 385lb one-arm deadlift however, wherever they started, NO LONGER has any deficiencies with their grip strength or back strength(or obliques for that matter), and that extreme attributes of any sort may effect what is optimal technique for that person. Is that more reasonable?

@neelyowen Should everyone stop listening to Ivan because he can one arm deadlift much more than me? Many kettlebell lifters have developed 'extreme attributes'. I do not hear you trying to say they should be ignored because of them, I guess that is only for me.

@countrychristian07 Absolutely not! I think that just attempting to directly "copy" particular lifters without consideration for why they do things the way they do them is less productive. Ivan also actively accelerates the bell on the way down, and I would probably advise %90 of all athletes to not do that, because they are not in the position to be able to replicate the result.

Back