Strong Curves book promotes a woman who's 5'8 and 115 lbs as clients' "ideal" body. Is the weight estimate just off?

@ezra21 Yes, this is also true. I often think of the Cameron Diaz airbrushing and feel really sad about it. The reality is that you can't attain that physique at all, even by undereating. Because it doesn't exist in real life.

The whole book really does make me feel a bit ill. If a personal trainer I was working with obsessed over my butt as much as he does, I'd fucking hit him.

Well he is known as the "glute guy". Just gotta take what he says for what it's worth--If you want a big booty follow his advice. If you want overall fitness follow a different program

You do realise that nobody is questioning the efficacy of the workout? It does totally work if that's your specific goal. It's more the way the guy talks about women.

@dawn16 So relieved to see that other women feel the same way about the tone of the book. I remember telling my husband after reading it, "If I have to hear 'a strong booty is a good booty' one more time, I'm abandoning this program." I don't give a shit if the program is designed to achieve an aesthetic; a butt that isn't round or perky isn't less valuable than one that is. It's that almost moral distinction that he makes throughout the book that is most unnerving to me.

@bsingeorgia Well I mean, "a strong booty is a good booty" is not a bad mantra to live by. glutes are a major primary muscle that needs strict development if you don't want knee and hip problems especially while developing strong quads and back. A lot of back problems are caused by under developed glutes--we use glutes more than any other muscle in our body it only makes sense to have a high focus on it

@dawn16 I don't disagree with you! To be clear, I take issue with the frequent implications that a bigger butt is for the male gaze and that a more attractive hiney makes a woman physically superior to other women.

@dawn16 Which would be just fine, if he were going for functional butt fitness (did I just type that). He isn't. He's judging asses by whether guys like the looks of them.

Yeah, I picked up Strong Curves at the library because of the hype around it on here and wound up being happy I didn't pay for it. I found his emphasis on butts and aesthetics kind of disturbing... definitely not my thing.

@ezra21 If she didn't have muscle definition I would say it's possible, since lots of models are that height and weight... but if you look at them, they have almost no definition. There is no way she is 115 pounds.

I mean look at these Victoria Secret models:

Sara Sampaio is 5'8" and 114 pounds

Barbara Palvin is 5'8" and 121 pounds!

Bianca Balti, 5'8" and 124 pounds

Cara Delevingne, 5'8" and 119 pounds

Point is, these women are her height and most are even heavier than she is, yet they are thinner. If she had a body type like theirs, I would say he was right, but there is not way in hell that someone that fit, at that height, looks like that at 115 pounds. Especially when you know these photos are photoshopped and made to look even slimmer than she really appears.

Where he got his estimation is beyond me. I know guys can be bad at guessing weight, but in my experience, guys in the fitness field tend to guess pretty accurately, especially if they're a professional.

EDIT: I've been looking up women with muscle that are her height and once again their weight is much different. This woman right here looks very close to Jessica Biel, yet she's 128 pounds. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-transformation-muscle-beats-skinny-fat-every-time.html

@kristym65 They probably don't workout as much as you think, or at least not in a healthy way. I used to watch America's Next Top Model, and one shocking thing I found is most of the women there couldn't even do one squat. They were so weak and underweight that they couldn't even lift themselves up out of a squat.

Granted, Victoria's Secret models are getting paid more and I'm sure they have personal trainers, but even they likely aren't eating enough to help with muscle growth, and they aren't doing any exercises that will make them bigger. One of the retired Victoria's Secret model said in an interview that most starve themselves and over exercise.

@kristym65 Hmm, nope, and Google isn't helping. Closest I got was an interview saying how they eat 900 calories a day and go to the gym for two hours a day, but that's not the interview I was talking about. I read about it years ago, so later if I remember I'll do some more digging and see if I can find it.