Super anxious before first session

@kycatt007 It’s just exercise. Coaches are there to make sure you exercise properly. Some people will exercise faster than you, some slower. Although you are exercising together in a timed format, everyone is there to record and test progress against themselves. If you want to be competitive with others, you can. If you don’t, no one will hold it against you. If you don’t like something, ask about modifying. if you really like something, ask if there’s open gym for you to work at it even more. It’s your fitness journey, you will get out what you put in.

@kycatt007 So much good advice here already!

I was once told “nobody cares how fit you are, everyone is worried about themselves and their own workout.”

I know it doesn’t feel like it, but it’s true. Smile, learn, try hard. Sometimes it takes a few days for the members to realize you’re a “regular” and not a transient drop-in. That’s just what happens to me last fall when I joined a new gym. Took a week or so before people realized I was here to stay, then all of a sudden I was getting fist bumps and chatting.

Also, the scariest part for me was walking in the doors and seeing everyone else working out. I almost did a u-turn and fled. Once you’re on the other side of it you realize how silly that was.

Good luck and enjoy!

@kycatt007
My goal is to tone my body a bit.

If by "tone" you mean "improve muscle definition", you do that by adding muscle mass and cutting subcutaneous fat. CF will definitely help with both, though you'll want to ensure that your diet is good as well (notably: get enough protein, ideally 1g high-quality protein per pound of body mass per day, broken up into a morning and night dose).

I’ve tried to go to the gym in the past but never knew what to do so would always just do the elliptical and then I’d end up quitting because I never really knew where to start with anything else.

This is one of the things CF helps with. You'll get exposed to a wide variety of ways to train.

I’m wondering if anyone else has felt this way?

Everyone feels like a beginner when they're a beginner. Not being a beginner anymore makes it go away :)

I’m really anxious of people judging me for how out of shape I am especially because I know everyone there will be super fit.

OMG yeah no, not everyone will be "super fit". People will probably notice that you're a beginner, sure. IME, that generally results in people introducing themselves and welcoming you to the class.

@kycatt007 Darling everything is just going to be fine ! At my gym we have a lot of beginners and they are welcome. And if you need to leave in the middle of the class because of your anxiety that’s ok ! I suggest you to talk about it to the coach before the class so he know how to react. I already had panic attacks at the gym and i managed to come back the day after 😉. I wish you the best, crossfit is really fun, hope you will enjoy it.

@kycatt007 OK so first, the fact that you felt kinda lost at regular gyms is super relatable, and a great sign that Crossfit is for you. I feel exactly the same way about regular gyms and I love Crossfit because it reminds me of the workouts I used to do in the Army since it's a group, and I never have to wonder what to do. You're going to love it.

Second, absolutely everybody was new once. I started out at 40(F), not at all knowledgeable about lifts or gymnastics, and needing to build a lot of strength. I was actually clinically underweight at the time. Those one-on-one intro sessions were great for learning my way around and gaining enough of a foundation to do fine in class. The other thing is that the coaches explain every exercise really well, and offer lots of scaling options so every workout can go just fine for everybody.

I scaled literally everything I did for the first 4 or 5 months, and then started to not need as much scaling. Everyone has been there before and remembers when they had to scale things. If you feel shy about this sort of thing, the best way I've found to overcome it is to talk with classmates and ask them how long it took them to get to the point of being able to do the difficult things. People love to tell stories about their progress and I love to hear them because it helps me understand that I'm completely normal for being where I am in skill development.

@kycatt007 All of us started somewhere and nobody is expecting you to be a rockstar! Introduce yourself, be open to feedback and coaching and keep showing up!

You got this and it’s gonna be great!

@savedbygrace781 Thank you! I really needed to hear this. I’m hoping its doable and I can stick to it. I’ve always been so weak physically and have not been able to ever stick to any gym I went to

@kycatt007 most people in your gym were out of shape at some point in the past. usually out of shape means that your endurance sucks but will improve quickly within a few weeks. however, everybody gets out of breath during the class, because it's about pushing individual limits a little bit every day.

sure. most people want to look good naked, or "toned". however, it's shouldn't be your primary goal. in crossfit you can set many different kind of goals, e.g. learn next more difficult skill, do some movement unbroken. try to find some sport goals because sport goals are more fun and increase the likelihood that you keep doing it for many years.

don't worry too much.

@kycatt007 I haven’t been to a single CrossFit gym yet where everyone is fit. You are exactly where most people who do CrossFit were when they started. It’ll not be long until someone coming behind you is looking at some movement you’re doing and thinking the exact same thing about you.

@kycatt007 remember also that you can't tell how fit or strong someone is by looking at them. there are all shapes and sizes at the gym: some out of reach super heroes and many, many 'regular' people and overweight people. some of the strongest most technically proficient people don't look like crossfit gods. you won't (if you are at a good gym, and crossfit is the friendliest environment for a gym i have ever been to) be judged for your appearance. show up and listen to your coaches. we are all on a journey! good luck!!

@kycatt007 My advice is to scale down the weights and try to find a pace that fits you. Don’t compare yourself to the others. The others are busy doing their thing.

When I started out I went twice a week for about a month just to get a routine and then three times a week.

Try going to the same classes, that way you get to know the regulars on those classes and they get to know you.

Thank you everyone for all the motivating and helpful advice! I had my first beginner session 1-1 last Tuesday..& I have my next one this upcoming Wednesday. It wasn’t really a workout but more so teaching me basic skills but I was still so exhausted despite it. I’m honestly worried about my first real group session bc I know its going to be so intense

@kycatt007 Don’t be afraid of a barbell. Scale everything or modify movements as your coaches say to, but don’t worry about “toning”. It takes years of careful diet, planning, and in many cases marginally legal supplements to gain significant visible muscle.

I didn’t finish my first 30 CrossFit workouts. I just couldn’t. Everyone starts somewhere.

@kycatt007 Not everyone there will be super fit, or even fit. Everyone starts at a different place, and goes for a different reason!
And - everyone started in the same place, so try not to compare yourself - especially to someone who might be a competitor and has been doing it for years.
Like others have said, scale. Learn correct form, and go from there!

@kycatt007 Just relax. Nobody is going to judge you. Everyone who is at the CF gym with you has been exactly where you’re at. Everyone is also more concerned with themselves to even notice how you do.

For what it’s worth, I’m always happy to see new people. That means more revenue for my gym’s owners, and it means it’s less likely my gym has to close its doors.

Also, the key is to not get hurt. Scale your weights. Pay attention to form over weight. Don’t try to keep up with the top performers because they’ll have years of experience or a super athletic background if they’re newer. If you stay healthy, you’re able to go back the next day…which is the goal of this whole thing.

@kycatt007 CrossFit is for everyone. Don’t try to keep up with anyone. Don’t try to Rx. Scale to your ability. EVERYTHING has a scaled version and if the scaled is too hard, there is a scaled version of the scaled. My experience is no one cares if your workout looks a little different. Peers applaud and encourage effort. I started CrossFit at age 49. 4’10” and 250lbs. I work as hard as I can. I take care to not get injured. I leave my ego at the door. I challenge myself. I surprise myself. I listen and differ to the coaches. I ask questions when I’m concerned. I get nothing but love from my peers. I’ve gained so much strength and confidence. Enjoy yourself. It’s the only form of exercise I’ve stuck with. I’ve tried a lot of things.

@kycatt007 You’ll legit be fine. It’s one of my fav things about CrossFit is that it scales really well for everyone. And that’s a really important point for group classes to equalise things for people so no one feels left out!

So if you’re new to it, you might do squats with just bodyweight - or sitting onto a box etc. and folks who have been doing it a while might do squats with extra weight to make it harder for them. But it means you’re both working out with the same intensity relative to your fitness levels! So everyone gets a similar workout - but scaled to where they are personally

Plus a lot of people will have been in a similar situation to where you are - so genuinely don’t worry! For me I find it exciting to learn all the new things etc so I don’t beat myself up if I can’t do them at first (which no one can unless they’ve trained before/elsewhere) and think it’s cool to spend time learning stuff! :)

@kycatt007 I (M/35) signed up for CrossFit exactly two weeks ago. Since then I've had my two beginner on ramp sessions with one on one coaching and just finished up my 4th CrossFit class last night.

While I have been doing barbell lifting for the past year and have (poorly) played some sort of sports/physical activity most of my life, I was still SO nervous for that first one on one session because I had no idea what to expect. Obviously it can vary from box to box but the coaches have been SUPER nice and helpful. The one on one session was very useful for my barbell technique because I had never had anyone help me with cues or really critique my lifting.

First class was hard, didn't finish the WoD but I was fine with it because all the advice I've heard is to not over do it in the beginning. Still nice and sore from the class last night and I expected to be sore from classes for months at least. But from my experience so far, at no point did any of the coaches or fellow CrossFitters (is this the right term?) make me feel unwelcomed or inferior. Granted, my box seems to be mostly middle aged people, but there were plenty of stronger/fitter guys and gals who have done nothing but welcome me with open arms. No one cared whether or not I finished a WoD or had to scale the workout. Everyone just wants to see me try and succeed in whatever way counts as success to me.

If you're worried about your fitness level going in, it's ok to be. You won't be good at CrossFit when you start because you've never done it. But you're going to be stronger than if you didn't do it.

Good luck and have fun. Enjoy the beginning of the journey!

@kycatt007 CrossFit is scalable. I work out with geriatrics and folks who don’t have legs. Just show up and put in the work. The coach will help you scale movements.

It’s easy to compare yourself to others, but at the end of the day you’re working out for yourself and not others approval.

If you just show up and scale the workout to your level, find joyful movement for about 40 min, eat well and rest a lot, you’re going to hit your fitness goals. But you have to show up and put in the work.

I’m excited for you! CrossFit changed my life for the better. I used to go to the gym and meander around for hours not knowing what to do. These workouts are quick, intense, and will make you a sweaty mess.

@kycatt007 I started CrossFit after having a baby, 30 lbs overweight and built like a dump truck (mom bod for the win.) You'll be fine! Scale everything you can - scaling helps a lot especially with push ups (push ups on knees or on a bar on the rig.) Your coach will know how to scale you, don't worry. The first few weeks is all about finding the level you're at, so it's a bit like a discovery process. You get to discover your skills and your limits and what can improve!

And always remember - everyone at the gym, no matter how badass they are has been in your shoes, knowing nothing and starting from ground level. You're going to do great!