Tips from experience: how I ended years of stagnation

clarissa_

I’m 35 years old, and after 7 years of weight training, I can say that I made more gains the past year than I did the previous four. The only time I saw gains like this were my first year or two, and I can absolutely attribute this progress to doing the following:

The first key is that I standardized and optimized my training. This is done by:
  • Sticking to a program, avoiding switching things up frequently.
  • Nailing the technique consistently. Making sure the target muscle is the limiting factor, not something else.
  • Staying close to failure. This recruits motor units better and allows you to gauge progress more accurately.
  • Working through rep ranges before increasing weight.
  • Working through lower rep ranges, not just 10-12. I found great success in the 6-10 rep range.
  • Getting sufficient rest between sets. I found that 3 minutes on working sets for compound lifts is a must. More is ok too!
  • using a log book to track progress, and have micro targets
  • not counting sloppy reps helped keep me honest in my technique (no point chasing numbers and sacrificing technique)
The second key is optimizing recovery. This is accomplished by:
  • getting an absolute minimum of 1.6 grams of protein per kg of body weight per day. Aiming for something as high as 2.2 grams.
  • Getting high quality sleep on a consistent basis: minimum of 7 hours. Aiming for 8+. Stopping blue light exposure 1-2 hours before bed time was a game changed.
  • Drinking enough water, but stopping a couple hours before bed. This varies from person to person, but if your pee is yellow as hell every time, you’re not drinking enough water
  • Addressed vitamin deficiencies. Not everyone has them, but I was low on vitamin D, and on vitamin b, and was prescribed strong doses.
Changing the mindset:
  • A great workout is one that builds on the previous session, and sets you up for continued progress on the next.
  • focus became a bigger factor in my training, when I start to feel unfocused, I don’t keep going and risk accumulation of junk volume.
  • avoiding ego traps, trying to outlift others. If I’m working on a rep range in an exercise using X weight, then that’s the weight I’m using during a workout. Not changing my weight to mach someone else.
  • I don’t allow myself to get caught in analysis paralysis — I just make sure I’m checking my boxes.
Final thoughts:

The main key was being disciplined and turning these guidelines into habits. At the end of the day, building muscle takes time… and not just any time, time well spent — stimulating growth, fueling it, and recovering from the process and doing over and over again. Enjoying the process, and seeking gratification from checking our boxes rather than of the result, will help us get the furthest in our conquest.

@clarissa_ I'm the same age as you and been BBing for 14 years consistently. You have some great tips in there 😃

I would add having a great song playlist, wearing gym clothes that make you feel and look good (flaunt those gains) and continuing to research from reputable trainers and scientists (Layne Norton, Dr. Mike Israetel, etc).

I also schedule my workouts in like a doctor's appointment so nothing gets in the way 😉

@pablo2210 It’s an individualized variation of the very standard PPL. You can find a great template on Built with Science. https://builtwithscience.com/fitness-tips/push-pull-legs-routine/

The exercise variations I perform are a bit different, but the set up is pretty much the same — with the exception that I start my week with pull instead of push though, mainly because when my chest is sore it prevents me from getting great scapular retraction on pull day.

I used to use a physical log book but I kept sweating on it and my hand writing can suck sometimes, so I’ve been using the notes app on my iphone to log.

Back