Took a Dexa Scan before resuming gym [M35 / 96 Kgs / 6'1 ft - 30% body fat, overweight]

@jake99901 Continuing to progress after you hit an "advanced but not elite" level is challenging and does, in fact, usually require some real micromanaging unless you're really genetically gifted. I used 12-15% as shorthand, but I could have just as easily wrote "3-4-5," as in 3 plates bench, 4 plates squat, and 5 plates deadlift; or a 5:00 minute mile; or a any number of performance metrics. The point is that going from advanced to elite and breaking through really challenging plateaus requires a level of effort and knowledge well beyond that required to hit the advanced stage in the first place. Hopefully that makes sense.

@sdem2 I guess next target is 90kgs with caloric deficit and weight training.

And during this time if I want to reduce lower body (thighs and glutes) as you can see in dexa scan picture, anything unusual to be done?

3 times legs a week???

How does workout plan change to reduce lower body and gain upper body??

@jake99901 You could try upper body 3 times a week and lower body 2 times a week, or 3 and 3 if you have the time. In all likelihood, the pear shape will go away when you lose weight (more of a diet thing than a lifting thing).

@jake99901 If you can afford monthly dexa scans and bloodwork, you can absolutely afford some sort of hybrid training with a personal trainer. It’s not as expensive as you think and there’s lots of trainers that can offer some flexibility where they don’t stand and direct you at every session. Have them work up a 6wk program that you follow on your own, then check back in for a 1-1 visit every 6th week to reassess results. Something like that. Or spend that $$ for the same type of program for nutrition instead.

@jake99901 I'd recommend setting different goals for different time frames

- Daily goals: Did I get 8 hours of sleep? Did I hit my macronutrients for the day? Did I drink at least 2 litres of water?

- Weekly goals: Did I exercise the number of days I planned to for the week? Did I stick to my diet the entire week without excessively cheating?

- Monthly: Have I lost the weight I expected to lose this month? How many weeks did I meet my weekly goals?

- Bi-Monthly/Quarterly: How is my body composition changing? How are other health markers?

I'm doing DEXA scans every 4-6 weeks on a similar weight loss journey (5'10, started at 97.5kg working my way down to

@dawn16 Makes sense- what tech or app you use to monitor all this - I want a 24/7 on demand coach which can't be a human as that will be super expensive so an alternative app maybe?

I am mainly motivated by shape change. Weight loss is not my goal - its a byproduct to my goal.

Do things that will change the shape and not interested in weight targets as I am fine with 96kgs too. Is this correct thinking?

@jake99901 Probably not the right thinking. Shape difference will be predicted mostly by body fat % and musculature. To get to, say, 20% body fat at remain 96kg at 6’1 is damn near impossible without drugs and your entire life revolving around fitness and bodybuilding.

All of this stuff aside from Dexa scans is easily tracked just using my notes app on my phone to log when I work out and what I’m eating for the day. No need to over complicate things IMO.

@jake99901 Not what I meant at all. How aggressively you want to lose weight or recomp is up to you. Diet will play a much more significant role in weight loss. My point was just to not set unrealistic expectations that you can maintain 95+kg body weight and be 15-20% body fat (what you probably need to be at for a “brad pit from fight club” physique, if not leaner) at a height of 6’1.

@jake99901 I take a scientific approach and monitor closely, but that level of scrutiny seems excessive. I do weekly measurements of body parts and daily weights. Quarterly Dexa scans and blood tests.

@tongdtbds3 would love to know more about your approach and which specific tests you do and what variables you monitor from dexa?

agreed with quarterly tests.

Are you aiming for the fight-club end goal? (pic) or something nearby

@jake99901 Bi-weekly dexa scans and bloodwork might be considered a bit obsessive and could be counterproductive. I’m sure it makes sense to you right now, but seeing your data occasionally plateau or reverse trend (it will happen) can be very demotivating. Maybe consider quarterly checkups and focus on clean eating and minimal cheat days. Your diet is key to success.

@jake99901 Absolutely not. I find it pretty pointless and a waste of my time. I rely on what I see in the mirror. I tried tracking muscle density via bioimpedence and found it to be horribly unreliable. I take photos 4 times a year in the same workout clothes with the same camera angle and lighting. That really tells me how I'm progressing. I push really hard, eat well (started macrofactor in January, used to use fitbit for 1.5 years), get my protein, and adequate rest.