Weekly Question Thread - Week of 7/1/2019

paparazi257

In the hopes of reducing the amount of low quality, simple, and beginner posts on the sub we are going to try a weekly question thread. It would help if users keep it sorted by new and check in every few days to help people out.

@paparazi257 Hey if I'm trying to bulk, should I continue following my current hypertrophy program or should I look for a program that is specifically for bulking?

@selenad No reason to change programs. With more food you should have higher recover-ability, but I would systematically add training volume as time goes on to further progress rather than throw a bunch more volume in right off the bat.

@paparazi257

Can someone look over my macros and see if my goals are appropriate in response?​

I'm fairly new so bare with me here.

Stats:

Male, 21, 6 ft 2 in

Weight: 188.5 lbs

Body Fat: 17%

---

Ideally I'd like to get down to around 9% body fat. However, I'm setting a current goal of 12% as to be realistic. As for my macros, I'm not sure if I should be focusing on cutting or bulking. As in, cutting will allow me to lose body fat over time, but would that also come with bulking? Or should I focus on getting down to a satisfactory body fat percentage and then begin bulking up? If that's the case, should I be focusing on cardio or lifting during that process?

Macros: the difference between cutting and bulking is 1000 calories according to a TDEE calculator that I used.If cutting should I focus on moderate, low, or high carbs? If bulking which do I focus on as well? MY understanding is that more carbs lead to our body storing in the form of fat for later use as energy, so wouldn't lower carbs be the best under either diet?

TDEE Calculator says:

Maintenance: 2,943

Cutting: 2,443

Bulking: 3,443

On any of these I'm not sure to focus on a 30/35/35, 40/40/20, 30/20/50 - or if it really even matters at all so long as I get the proper amount of nutrients and stay at my calorie goal.

If anyone can shed some light on a confused soul, It'd be much appreciated. Cheers!

@dawn16 How long have you been lifting? If you're just getting started it wouldn't be a bad idea to just eat at maintenance. With consistent hard training you should be able to recomp for a bit and maybe 6 months down the road you can reassess and decide to cut or bulk.

If that's the case, should I be focusing on cardio or lifting during that process?

Lifting should always take priority if your goal is improved body composition, weather bulking or cutting.

If cutting should I focus on moderate, low, or high carbs? If bulking which do I focus on as well? MY understanding is that more carbs lead to our body storing in the form of fat for later use as energy, so wouldn't lower carbs be the best under either diet?

You're understanding is incorrect. Our body stores energy as fat when our energy intake exceeds energy output, regardless of the macro-nutrient. Carbs are rarely converted to fat and stored, a process called de novo lipogenesis which is a much more metabolically demanding task. An over-consumption of carbs putting you in an energy surplus will still contribute to fat gain, but generally not by direct conversion to fat. Instead when you consume more carbs you simply burn more carbs for energy and less fat; leaving more fat to be stored.

Carbs are also the primary fuel for high intensity exercise like lifting, therefore having at least a moderate intake of carbs is important for lifting performance and muscle gain/retention.

On any of these I'm not sure to focus on a 30/35/35, 40/40/20, 30/20/50 - or if it really even matters at all so long as I get the proper amount of nutrients and stay at my calorie goal.

Don't use percentages to setup your diet, especially when it comes to protein intake. Protein needs should be based on lean body mass and if anything should be inversely correlated with calorie intake (as calories are brought lower relative to maintenance, protein needs are going to be higher).

Typically people will set calories, then protein (~1 g/lb being a good starting point), then fat (20-30% of total calories), then fill the rest with carbs.

@micah111 I appreciate the reply and I’m going to properly reply to it when I get a chance to sit down either later today or sometime tomorrow. Regardless, I wanted to say thank you for being the only person to answer and be willing to give me a bit of guidance.

@micah111 Quick question before I send a slightly longer one; given my stats (height, weight etc) would 2,443 (cutting) - 2,943 (maintenance) be a good daily calorie intake? That number seems high to me for some reason, but I’m likely wrong. That’s ran through the TDEE calculator.

@dawn16 Maintenance seems reasonable. Cutting calories would depend on the rate of loss you’re aiming for. A 500 kcal daily deficit would theoretically result in 1 lb of fat lost per week (1 lb = 3500 kcal)

Really these numbers should just be seen as an educated guess at best and the only way you’ll know for sure is stick with a certain calorie intake for at least a couple weeks and see how your body responds. Then make adjustments as needed to lose or gain at the rate you want.

@paparazi257 I'm trying to put my brother on a push pull Legs split. He's a beginner, so I'm putting together his diet for him in addition to giving him his workout plan. He wants to start off on a cutting phase. He is 16 Years old 5'6" 175 pounds. Based on a caloric calculator (with the workouts) his maintenance intake is gonna be 2714 calories. I'm going to put him at 2400 calories a day with meals that look just like this...
Workout plan:push (chest/shoulder/triceps): 3x5 bench press, 3x8 shoulder press, 3x8 tricep extensions, 3x8 shoulder flys
pull (back/biceps/forearms): 3 sets of pullups (or chin ups if you cant do pullups), weighted rows, 3 sets of normal curls, 3 sets of hammer curls
legs: 3x5 of squats and then whatever other exercises you want to do (weighted shrugs, calf press...)

Am I making any mistakes with this plan?

@heyyoo I can nearly guarantee his maintenance isn't 2700 at 5'6".

Why are you pointing him on a keto-esque meal plan? In fact, why are you making him a workout plan, pick a well established template that's freely floating around the internet. Your plan is three workouts, not a plan.

This isn't meant to bash you but more to make you realize that while you're trying to help it might be more efficient and to maybe go to someone with a bit more knowledge or relying on something premade instead of taking on the task yourself.

@commando95 Well, I got his base caloric rate at this site (with moderate exercise inputted) tdeecalculator.net. So, why would that be incorrect? and the workout plan is from a template. He's hitting this PPL plan every week with a rest day in between each segment since he's a beginner. The various muscle groups are being targeted by each portion of the plan. And, you are all the ones with more knowledge that's why I'm coming here :) . I have full faith in the workout plan I'm just trying to figure out a simple balanced diet that he can prep every week. I appreciate the feedback, but can you give more reasoning on how the caloric calculation is incorrect. And some concrete diet recommendations if you can? Thanks

@heyyoo I’m not an expert on this but my advice would be limit protein to his body weight in grams (e.g. 160 lbs = 160g protein), limit fat to 60-80g (don’t go lower than 60, fat is essential for hormonal production), then fill the remaining calories with carbs, preferably centered in meals pre and post workout

@paparazi257 I have progressed from beginner to intermediate and I am going from gym every other day to a PPL routine.

Here is my question, for me this would be more natural. Is there any actually reasoning for doing push then pull or does it matter as long as I am getting PPL 2 x a week?
  • Push
  • Legs
  • Pull
  • Rest
  • Repeat

@stdamage Getting the work in is by far most important. Doing Push legs lower has a benefit from not working same body parts two days in a row, which could potentially give recovery issues.