Weekly Question Thread - Week of 9/2/2019

paparazi257

In the hopes of reducing the amount of low quality, simple, and beginner posts on the sub we are going to try a weekly question thread. It would help if users keep it sorted by new and check in every few days to help people out.

@paparazi257 How common are gym injuries? I got injured somewhere between my right pec and shoulder and have been going to medical centers. Still haven't recovered after going for 2+ weeks. What can I do?

@richardthelambheart
I don't know if I'm breaking the rules by doing this but I missed the weekly routines thread by a bit and wanted to give my comment some more exposure because its important to me.

You can always ask any question in this thread.

64kg weight.

That puts your maintenance around 2100 calories with lifting included. [.]

I've eaten based on hungryness this month after a slow bulk at around 2600-2800 kcals and I think I've lost some amount of kgs, probably muscle too; I'll try to gradually get to 2800kcal again.

Rates of weight gain for novice lifters

[.]

• 180 lb intermediate: Aim to gain ~3.5 lbs per month while crushing it at the gym. (1800.75%*2.5)

For you as a 140lb intermediate, this would be 2.6lbs per month. 0.65lbs per week. Requiring a surplus of 300-330 calories per day.

and I think I've lost some amount of kgs, probably muscle too

Are you weighing your food?

My idea was to do day4 and day5 in one day.

That's fine

Also, do you feel like this program has enough volume?

How long can I stay on this program?

Try it out as it's written at first, get a feel of the recovery, see if you are progressing and then adjust the volume as needed. If you re progressing in some way, either in weight moved, reps, weekly volume etc then you are doing well. Progress to the next level of the program when you feel you need to do so in order to keep making progress.

@paparazi257 I’ve been doing the r/fitness PPL for almost 5 months now and haven’t done a single deload week. Should I do them? When and what should I do? I didn’t really realise people did them.

@paparazi257 I’m coming to the end of an 8 week PPL program and I am planning a deload week before starting my next 8 week block. I also want to retest my 1 rep maxes though, would it be better to do this before or after my deload?

@paparazi257 Any tips for cardio?

Been running around my neighborhood, trying to get into cardio after about 8 months of lifting weights.

I enjoy it but goddamn it’s hard! Did my second session today and I could only jog .2 mile according to google maps.

@paparazi257 It is universal across health experts and workout books that exhaling during the strenuous part of an exercise to avoid injuring the body and to make it easier to perform the exercise. Everything I seen from youtube videos to Arnold Schwarzenegger's books state the emphasize of exhaling. This is particularly true in weightlifting where as you lift up the object it is essential to have exhalation as part of your workout because you might really injure yourself from the stress.

However as I start benchpressing with heavy barbells its very difficult to keep counts of my reps. In fact a few time as I pushup the barbell while I'm counting, I notice saying the next rep as I do the lifting up process does all the same exact stuff exhaling does. Not only do I feel less strained and feel it much easier to carry the barbell up saying the rep than not exhaling or saying anything at all, but I feel many of the same benefits exhaling during lifiting does such as ease of body and elimination of tension during the lifting part of the benchpress and more. Like when I count the rep out loud I'm doing an action that effectively substitutes exhaling.

So is counting reps rather than exhaling OK in its place? I mean its so damn hard to keep count of my reps in my mind because of the heavy load I'm doing and trying to exhale while counting in my head each new benchpress is also impossible for me and puts big enough a mental strain I almost lost my grip several times and I actually had done so that the barbell fell on me and I needed help to pull it up (and wa sin the hospital for a week).

So inmy recent workouts I stopped exhaling since its distracting and instead just stuck to counting since it seems to bring the same benefits exhaling does (and I have to anyway since the weights I added are so heavy its damn difficult to keep track, even impossible as I near finish a workout!).

Is this OK? Can verbally counting substitute the exhaling process?