What’s a little trick that made a huge difference in your form?

@bkrolex The best tip from my physiotherapist has been to imagine two diagonal lines running from my shoulder blades to the hips and to pull my shoulder blades in that direction rather to engage the back.

This has been a game changer for rows, DL and my posture in general. I also think it's a better cue than rolling your shoulders back or "putting them in their pockets" as it follows the shoulder blades' natural windshield wiper movement.

@jicurry1937 Thanks for this. I just tried this while just standing and it’s much easier for me to visualize for some reason then back pockets. Been having some difficulties with rows and DL recently, hopefully this will help!

@marci I think the pulling towards the center / spine really helps. When I visualize pockets for some reason they're always next to my armpits if that makes sense. I wasn't able to engage my back muscles prior to this and it's seriously completely changed my form. Hope it helps with your lifts too! :)

@bkrolex Imagine that deadlift is like a reverse leg press, so it's not a "pull the barbell up" movement, but a "push the ground away" movement. That made a huge difference for me!

@ch3apshad3s I tell this to everyone I teach to deadlift as well, since it was what got me to understand when I was learning. People just want to pull which messes up your back so bad.

@ch3apshad3s Yesssss this totally helped me too, I also started deadlifting without shoes, helps me to really push through my feet. I tried converse/vans but doing other things in the workout like lunges hurt my feet, the canvas didn’t have enough give or something so shoeless it is

@bkrolex One of my knees tends to track inward if I'm not paying attention, so I always start with a deep body weight squat or two and watch them to get into the right position. I catch myself being careless every time I fail to do this.

@bkrolex 1) If you have knee issues, best bet is to not exacerbate it. You can always try out other compounds!
2)If you’re against this, look up dynamic/static breathing. Take in a breath before you go down, hold, and once you’re at a sitting position and about to go up, the moment you go up, release your breath. This will help stabilize your core.
3)Also, get flat footed shoes (converse, Nike blazers) or good ol taking your shoes off (although be careful about your toesies)
4)Have your trainer place their forearm vertically across your spine as you go down so you know how it feels to have a straight back.
5)Don’t shoot straight up. Keep it gradual and slow. Otherwise you’re going to injure your knee a lot more as you’re more so using the ball of your foot vs your heel
6) get on the stair master for about 5 min before doing squats to help warm you up. Than do dynamic stretching. Allows for additional mobility and less prone to Injury

Back