What’s in your water bottle at the gym?

@kmman Unflavored protein powder (Isopure) with some sort of sports drink, usually Body Armor Lite or (if desperate) Gatorade Zero.

One scoop makes it the consistency of a regular Body Armor or Gatorade, which isn’t bad, plus it let’s me start my protein consumption early. Hitting numbers some days is tough so it helps.

@te3390 I do this too. I workout at 5:30am, before I want to eat, and do 1.5 hour weightlifting sessions with squats at the end. I mix Gatorade powder, protein powder and pre-workout for carbs, caffeine, and a little bit of protein. Works great and much easier to get down than solid food for that early in the morning.

@kmman Just water.

A lot of people use BCAAs or the type marketed as intra-workout drinks. I really don’t think the timing of these things matter; I just go nuts with my post workout shake/meal

@johmars i like this idea, i've been bringing a shaker of pre workout and a water bottle cuz i like to keep the feeling of the preworkout topped up during my whole workout. do you recommend just drinking it all before you get there?

@lucyflor Can women take creatine? Is it recommended to take in general as soon as you become active/at the gym? I really want to start my fitness journey again and stay on my routine whenever I make it for myself this week since I been sick

@servingnovice Yes, take consistently (daily), and no need to "load". Creatine is one of the most studied supplements. Check examine.com or pubmed for research studies. Also search for studies related to gut and brain health. It does help me recover quicker and maybe increase strength gains (not size). I follow macros on a deficit (1390 cals, 105g p/130g c/50g f ), LHS 6 days / week on a 5-day split, run 3-4 miles 5 days/wk, and walk 2 days/wk. I didn't gain weight but think my vascularity decreased a little. (Not as vein-y in body parts like arms after lifting to failure.)

@lucyflor Creatine will cause your muscles to retain more water, which is why vascularity decreases. The flipside is the muscles will look more full with that extra water.

Back