What’s my weak lower body muscle group?

tigger69

I can squat only 90lbs x 12 and I cant even go that low but I can leg press 350lbs x 8.

I wonder why my squat is so weak. It’s almost same as my standing barbell row at 88lbs x 10.

I can do 75lbs x 10 on a leg extension machine.

I tried going heavier but it outbalances me and causes pain on my lower back.

@tigger69 Common novice misconception. You're not legpressing the whole 350lbs. Leg press requires very little skill compared to the squat. Practice the skill and reduce load if necessary if squatting deep is important to you.

Seems like you have form issues in the squat too. Take videos and submit a form check.

@tigger69 You also have to consider that gravity pulls straight downwards. On a squat the movement of the weight is also straight so you are acting against gravity with all of the weight. On leg press machines usually you push the weight on an angle. You will generally be stronger on leg press.

@tigger69 The barbell squat is a very technical lift that requires skill. It recruits other muscle groups to stabilize your body throughout the movement. This is also why the squat is very benefitial.

Lower the weight and work on your form. Focus on quality reps with full range of motion. Strength will follow once you get better at the movement.

@tigger69 Leg Press is a scam. Smith machine too. Those are assisted machine meant to supplement only for form correction or when you are injured, if you are expecting to gain muscles those are not effective but im pretty sure some would say otherwise.

if you want to gain muscles lift heavy (3-5 reps) on compound workouts such as deadlift, squat and bench.

@tigger69 If you dont believe me (rightfully so, because this is reddit!) then read books of mark rippetoe. If you're not convinced still by mark rippetoe then by all means continue using smith machine and leg press after all no "fitness" expert can gate keep how to gain muscles.

@tigger69 Master your form first (including core engagement) then progressive overload. Track your progress sa squat and be patient with your progress. Leg press and squat do not necessarily target two exact muscle groups.

@tigger69 Uuuuy top favorite exercise ko ang squat hehe. I agree with the comments here. Quality and proper form first before getting obsessed with weight.

I would suggest to start with just the bar without the weight. From here take note of yourself. Are you using feet (sole, ball, heel) kinda like a tripod? Are you bracing your core? Are you breathing properly? Are you rounding your back?

You may also check your mobility. Baka super tight and restricted na mobility mo sa lower part ng body.

If you have IG, you may check Squat University. Meron din ata silang Youtube channel. Madami ako natutunan sa kanya to the point na nabili pa ako nung book nya na The Squat Bible haha.

@quirkymango I lose my form sa lower part ng movement kahit walang weight involved. Di ko ma butt out, nag ttilt forward ung hips kaya nagccurve ng lower back. Upper back stays straight and fine though.

@tigger69 Yung coach sa gym namin two weeks ago bigla ako sinabihan while I was doing a squat na I do more mobility exercises kasi parang may off daw sa akin and hindi ko sya nailolower masyado. Sabi ko, ay medyo nga parang diko feels masyado yung squat ko ngayon. Then I did more mobility exercises than I did pre-workout. Ayun laking ginhawa when I did the lower part of the squat. I also put a band between my knees to make my knees more stable. I guess sobrang off day ko talaga that time. Wake up call for me to do more mobility exercises diko napapansin kasi minsan masyado na pala tight ang muscles ko and joints.

This is just one aspect though. Di natin alam if may hidden medical condition ka that affects how you squat. Pero wala naman masama if you do more lower body mobility exercises.

@tigger69 from experience, i think it all boils down to your form and relative strength (correct me if im wrong). i cant stress this enough, proper form is so important in the squat (if not most). so i suggest try lighter weight and practice proper form over and over again, hindi na sasakit back mo. from there you can build up the strength to squat more and more as time passes by. it might take you some times, but you have to trust the process.