What’s the shortest time span you’ve made a progression from a beginner move an to intermediate or advanced move?

@orthodoxcrusaderuk Yeah, rows, pull-ups and deadlifts are all good for the posterior chain, front lever work too. I also recommend arch holds, arch rocks, and reverse-hyperextensions for the posterior part of the core.

@shelbycmr Planche has like 7 progressions, but it took me more than a year to progress from tucked to advanced tucked. On the way I found like 5 more usable progressions between tucked and advanced tucked. So no skipping progressions for me lol.

Also, this totally doesn't answer your question. I'm just dumping my frustrations.

@shelbycmr ive been able to stand on hands for a while but started training for free standing hspus and could do 2 clean after 2 months without every trying hspus at al before.

@shelbycmr Gonna sound weird, but one day I tried straddle back lever and held it for ~2 seconds. Never did any prerequisite, just pullups and dips. Am now on 7 seconds on a good day, this took a while to increase.

@shelbycmr It took me 4 months to unlock the full front lever from barely being able to hold a tucked front lever. The key: grease the groove, and choosing the correct progressions.

@orthodoxcrusaderuk For the past 4 months I've been working from home, barely going out. So I was able to GtG effectively. Basically every 20-40 minutes I'd spend like 10-15 minutes on the P bars/pull up bar in my room. If I had to guess I'd say I'm accumulating a 1 hours + of tut every single day.

In terms of progressions here's the things I learned. They are absolutely essential imo.
  • If you are stuck in progression A and you are under the impression that your next progression needs to be B but you are unable to hold B for even a split second, trying to do so over and over again will yield zero results. Absolutely zero. If you want to progress forward you need to go from progression A towards a progression that you can hold but for no more than 1-3 seconds, but you need to have the feeling of being able to hold it.
For example: when I started out I could barely do a tuck front lever. So I practiced it and in two weeks I was able to do a tuck front lever. I knew that the next step was adv tuck. But I just couldn't hold it. I wasted three weeks trying to do so with no progress. Than I had an idea, I'll do the tuck but then I will move only one leg into adv tuck. And surprise surprise I was able to hold it for like a few seconds. So I did that for another two weeks, and suddenly I could also do the adv tuck.
  • Whenever you feel like you are stuck on a front lever, try to learn to pull up from it. When I was stuck on the adv tuck front lever I put in the effort for two weeks straight and I learned to do an adv tuck front lever pull up, that gave me the strength to move on to the next progression.
  • The next epiphany for me was the half-lay front lever. I got stuck on the one leg adv front lever. Where one leg is fully extended and the other is in adv tuck mode. I felt like I was so close to a front lever at that point but I just couldn't do a full. And I was able to finally get it only after I practiced the halflay. Because the halflay actually makes you practice the straight position of the full front lever that you just can't get with one legged progressions

@sowingbird LOL ye was there

If you are stuck in progression A and you are under the impression that your next progression needs to be B but you are unable to hold B for even a split second, trying to do so over and over again will yield zero results. Absolutely zero. If you want to progress forward you need to go from progression A towards a progression that you can hold but for no more than 1-3 seconds, but you need to have the feeling of being able to hold it.

the progression I stopped on was Adv.1 leg front Lever just as you described leg 90° and could do like a straddle but with bent legs (straddle halflay ish) for 5 sec but sadly had to stop because my retraction was so shit it started to hurt doing human flags or even pinching my shoulderblades rn it's better tho :D thanks for everything!

@shelbycmr Planks, but doing them at the beginning of my routine.

Followed by lunges with weights.

I got those improvements almost a month in.

Of course there was other exercises involved to help the process, but I was blown away on how rapidly my gains came and they seemingly helped/worked in tandem with those other exercises.

Like, squats took a little longer to improve but the lunges were making making the process smoother?

As everyone here knows, the muscle groups all rely on one another to help each other, but I'm more aware of the planks and the lunges in quick time than the others.

@shelbycmr 3.5 weeks is not long enough to get significantly stronger to do harder skills that require this kind of strength. So instead I think you are gonna need something that:

1) Has a lot of technique in the skill

2) Perhaps looks cool or harder to average people than it is.

So a good candidate in that regard, I would say muscle up. In places like OG charts, it is still listed as a beginner level skil. But I think most average people would think it harder than that. And there is a good amount of technique involved in the move aye. So if you can bang out close to 10 pullups(you said you are doing L-sit chin-ups aye), then I'm sure you could learn muscle up in 3-4 weeks.

Another shot you can get is maybe like a 20s frog stand and then transition into nice clean headstand as smooth and nice as you can get it. It's a beginner skills again, but if you practice that for 3-4 weeks then you will get a cool and good looking shot of a skill that is not groundbreaking, but still looks like something that took 3-4 weeks of practice aye. And people who have never tried it, it's gonna feel just as impossible to them as anything that actually is more advanced aye :p

@dawn16 It's basically the organization of very similar exercises from easiest to hardest. You can make small changes like focusing your weight on one side, changing the angle of the exercise or the position of your hands and feet to make the movement more difficult/easy. You can just look up videos like squat progression/pushup progression/ pull up progression and they'll show you a bunch of variations.