What’s your relationship with alcohol?

@chefdoodle Haha well that’s good that some people appreciate my idea of a holiday 😂 I miss meditating while hearing the waves crash, I did that every morning while I was in Bali a few years ago ☺️

@cdlara381 Oh also since it will be autumn make mulled cider without alcohol. Or you could have a super low alcoholic drink like kvass or non-alcoholic beer (some have low amounts of alcohol). Or Mexican hot chocolate!

@chefdoodle Oh I would never stop drinking mead or home brewed beer (they’re supposed to be non alcoholic but because of the fermentation process they will have a low amount) they’re my childhood favourites, yes I had these as a kid because they have hardly any alcohol, u can’t really get drunk on them 😜

@cdlara381 That’s how I started. Made some rules around when to drink like not after work to wind down, not after a difficult day, not if I have an intensive exercise before or after, etc. At some point I got so used to not drinking that it was easy to say no altogether.

It’s also easier this way in the communication towards other people. If they know you don’t drink at all they won’t try to make you drink against your will. If they do even after saying you don’t want to they’re just shitty friends or they have an alcohol problem they don’t want to face.

It also saves you from having to check which alcoholic drinks are vegan or not which can be a real pain!

@caroline100 Yeah I’ll probably not tell my friends that I won’t be drinking so I don’t make a big deal out of it, I’ll just drink alcohol free bevvies and pretend that I’m drinking (not pretending I’m drunk tho 😂)

@cdlara381 It’s skill that needs to be developed. If you develop a habit of reaching for a drink to relax, you train your brain to think you need the drink to relax. Discomfort won’t kill you, and you’ll need to be uncomfortable for awhile while you sort out how to engage without booze.

No one really wants to hear that, but after years of therapy addressing some pretty crippling anxiety (among other things), I’m another data point that it’s possible.

To be fair, I think many sober people find being around really drunk people a bit jarring. So it results in changing your social life a bit. For example, I started going home early on nights out once people started getting too drunk to have a real conversation. I used to get FOMO about that, but after seeing how my life improved, I started to care less.

Back