What did you do to lose weight?

@bunnylightheart When I was in my early 20s this was my daily routine as I was big into fitness and I was in great shape. In my 30s I actually gained more weight and it raised my cortisol levels so high I was constantly inflamed, bloated and getting anxious from the high cortisol. I switched to Pilates and yoga (low impact) and feel sooooo much better! I also try to eat more protein but stopped being so strict and followed a more “mindful” diet. I really listen to my body and what it’s craving.

@bunnylightheart Have you increased how much you lift over that time? Do you count calories precisely?
Do you build muscle easily?

Have you gotten your comps measured? I’d recommend that first.

If I feel stuck then I completely change up my approach.

Try changing 1 thing for a week and see what happens.
For instance, add more rest days with yoga and hikes. If you are lifting heavy, try easing up. If you are lifting light - add more weight.

or

Switch up how you are eating.
Try changing your macros. Add more healthy fats if they are low. Add or remove calories.

Don’t try all the things at once - the idea is to carefully isolate a variable. :)

@dann222 Yup I increase my weights! I really count my macros but I don’t have any goals on fats and carbs only protein. I need to get my comps measured too! Thank you so much for the tips!

@dann222 Agreed! Since I’ve seriously overloaded my weights, I feel like I have to eat A LOT to gain weight. If I only eat when I am hungry (I prioritize protein), I loss weight very soon

@bunnylightheart I was in the same position as you and got mine tested, it was raised and my doc told me to do more low impact work (Pilates, yoga) and she suggested ashwagandha too. I bought some off Amazon and it seems to be helping! I’ve lost 5 pounds since lowering my high intensity workouts, focusing completely on my calorie deficit, and taking the ashwagandha.

@fruty I second this. I lost more weight doing less, eating more and sleeping more (5’2, was stuck at 132 training 5-6x pw and eating under 1400, now at around 108, ate 1600 cals on average training 3-4 times per week)

@bunnylightheart Really it comes down to calories in/calories out. As long as you eat fewer calories than you burn in a day, mathematically it’s guaranteed that you will lose weight, how much will depend on how large your deficit is. It’s simple and yet can be frustrating! It sounds like you’re getting great exercise and making awesome health changes! Because you’re also gaining muscle, you may also be retaining more water (building muscle requires a lot of water!). You probably are losing fat, so while the scale may not be moving much due to muscle building, you’re getting healthier and more fit! Have you taken and compared your measurements? It’s possible you’ll see positive changes there!

@bunnylightheart Calorie deficit. No cheat days. Plan your cheat meal in advance. No more than once a month. Eat real food. Move your body in some way. And you’ll lose your last few lbs in 6 months. Or if you’re weight lifting and building muscle, you’ll definitely lose fat and look so much better even if your weight stays the same.

@bunnylightheart There's always an initial period in fitness where your body adapts to the new routine; you might experience water retention and inflammation and won't see any change, but don't give up and you'll start seeing results.

If your current activity level is really different from your previous one (think sedentary→very active) then the inflammation and water retention would be worse. Others have pointed it out but you might want to reduce the amount of exercise. And add stretches and massages for inflammation.

@bunnylightheart Is there another metric you can use? Like an article of clothing that’s tight right now? It’s motivating to have another way to ensure your body is changing. Taking measurements helps too

@bunnylightheart I’ve been going to the gym for 3 years now. I started about 140 and I’m just now stable at 126 pounds (I’d like to lose more but my weight is very slow in coming off). I did recently add a 45 minute walk in for my work lunches and I’m starting to notice the scale creeping down. It can take awhile, just focus on eating well, exercising, and getting your steps in. Good luck!