What do y’all think of speakeasy gyms?

@stthomaschristian They're playing with fire. And putting it in writing (in an email to members) is just about the stupidest thing they could do, especially if the email is anything like "shhhh, don't tell anyone, but...." Anyone with an ax to grind can forward that email to health and safety authorities, a rival gym, the press, or even post on social media. Who knows who might be out there looking for someone to make an example of. And this doesn't touch on the very real risks of spreading COVID-19 through this practice. Even if the chances are slim, they're not zero, and if someone who works out there does come down with it (even if they caught it elsewhere), that opens up a whole new can of worms.

This is what my gym did and they ran online classes so it kept members paying throughout the shutdown. They probably had half the members put their membership on hold but my wife and I still had our income and wanted the place to be able to survive the shutdown so we kept paying. Lending out the equipment was smart because it kinda kept people on the hook to come back. Once they reopened they only a handful of members didn't return.

@stthomaschristian I live in California in Santa Clara county where all gyms have been closed since March (or at least are supposed to be...). My gym actually just opened Monday since we are not on the “watch list” for the state, but the county is still quite strict and “indoor fitness centers” must remain closed. So we are now doing fully outdoor classes, have to take an online symptom questionnaire upon arriving, get your temp checked. Classes are 8 people in a large parking lot, each person getting a 15’x15’ “WODpod” which has the equipment needed for the class, and paper towels and spray to wipe down everything after, and the coaches do a full mop of all the stall mats after each class too. No masks required in your pod, but once you leave you have to wear a mask. Ideally no use of restrooms but if desperate one person inside at a time and copious hand sanitizing etc. My gym is family owned and has gone from 400 members pre covid to 100 active members now and had to put all these crazy stops in place just to semi open up again (and only 4 classes of 8 people per day). My point in this is I have a friend who goes to a gym probably 5 miles away that has been open indoors for at least a month (distancing enforced supposedly). It’s really frustrating that they can get away with that while my gym owner has been following all guidelines and doing everything to be able to open and not lay off coaches or shut down permanently. Seems really unfair to me.

@okmaybe I’m in Contra Costa County, we are on the watch list :( my box never reopened but is offering weekly programming (was monthly but since the open date is unpredictable and we have already returned our lent equipment, the owners figured this was fair). My box won’t break the rules and just open, as much as everyone misses being there, they aren’t going to risk losing their business license and pay any fines.

@stthomaschristian I think the outbreak is way worse right now and most crossfit gyms are currently open in the USA and are currently acting like they care about Covid-19 more then they are actually trying to fight it.

Examples:

--Acting like you care: "Please wipe down all equipment you used today to prevent the spread of Covid-19 and keep members safe"

Meanwhile:

--Informing class to all go grab a barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell/weights etc at the same time

--Still using Airdyne bikes where people are breathing heavy and the fan is blowing it around to everyone else

--Not enforcing or requiring any distance standards while working out on a rig or spacing out rowers/bikes.

EDIT: it’s an airborne virus—very difficult for it to spread from touching a surface if you wash your hands

@heretoday This! Our box still has class sizes limited and taped off spaces, but everything else you said hits the nail on the head. Also, I've heard my coaches say things like it's hard to know how serious this is or working out can help prevent people from getting sick blah blah blah. Exercise is incredibly important for a healthy immune system but I struggle with the coaches sharing their medical/health opinions around something so serious and unknown.

Back