What do y’all think of speakeasy gyms?

@dreamer6424 My gym has been opened, and appears to be taking public health guidelines seriously. But I'm still not going for the reason's you've outlined, plus the fact that I don't know that all the members are taking things seriously enough for the precautions to be effective. If that person 6 feet over is going out to bars and not wearing a mask, I'm not sure that wiping down the equipment is gonna protect me (and by extension my elderly parents).

But because I like my gym, I like the at-home programming they continue to provide, and they have been very thoughtful about both COVID and the CFHQ uglyness, I continue to maintain my membership. But I'm not really impacted by the pandemic, in that my job can be done remotely and I've not lost any income.

@thepostie That’s my concern is that so many of the people in my network don’t give a fuck and are definitely doing bars/social parties and whatnot. Then they go out in public like it’s everyone else’s problem to deal with.

@thepostie
plus the fact that I don't know that all the

members are taking things seriously enough for the precautions to be effective.

This is really important. The most important thing is to keep up with the social distancing, the second thing is being selective with who you want to break the social distancing with. You rather want to take that "risk" of not keeping distance, and being close to over an extended time, with someone you A) think is important enough to take that risk with (your parents for example, not Johny MissedARep) and B) someone you trust are doing their best not to get infected.

Crossfit or not, ironically, the first people who come knocking on your door to do something else than quarantining may be the ones you should turn down.

@dreamer6424 If it helps, my wife and I stopped our memberships because of exactly this sort of behavior. At the beginning of shut down our gym lent out equipment and was posting daily at home WODs.

Then they just decided that gyms were allowed to open again (even though state, county, and city guidance hadn’t changed) and they immediately went back to normal classes.

It hurts because we love the couple that owns our gym, and we are taking away money from their business. But at the end of the day we will not support that behavior

@anchoredbygrace Well, I don’t like to see businesses shooting themselves in the foot or people losing their community, but it’s always nice to hear from people who agree: if my job and service is to always do what is best for your health and wellness, then anything I do counter to that (like opening against guidelines) should leave a mark on who I am as a fitness professional.

Similarly, I’ve seen a local restaurant owner I used to completely support going to a new boxing gym in town and no one is following social distancing or wearing a mask and the facility is at capacity. She’s posting it all over social media. It makes me question her judgment and now I’m going to have to vote with my wallet and not give her my business. This isn’t watching someone do a stupid workout that has a risk of rhabdo where they’re educated about it and it will only impact them.

I just don’t have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to risk/reward when “risk” is related to a pandemic.

@dreamer6424 Are you saying you’re concerned that the restaurant owner is possibly contaminating restaurant patrons, food, etc. and that’s why you won’t patronize the restaurant? Or are you saying that you don’t like her personal decisions about where and how she works out and that’s that’s why you won’t patronize the restaurant?

@sunnysurfgirl I believe any exercise that gets someone off the couch is great. I don’t have a single opinion on “boxing” as an exercise that is negative. I am in favor of working out in ways that fuel your passion and I don’t mind if it’s Zumba, CrossFit, competitive double Dutch jump rope, interpretive dance, or boxing.

Boxing training at this gym is a contact sport. They spar. HIIT plus full contact, no masks, people doing other exercises within 6’ of the ring. A giant fan blowing stuff all over the place. She’s running a business where she comes into contact with people in her business 6 days a week and she’s taking absurd risks. She cooks to order, she serves food and she heads to her restaurant after her class.

I have a problem with that.

@crismate88 I wasn’t comfortable with that as a solution for my own gym space. It could mitigate it or it could exacerbate it. I guess the way I come down on it is: if you can have access to equipment and an environment appropriate to open gym doors, you can work out outside and remove the issue. Or, you know, wear a mask.

@delling1000 Negative flow rooms in hospitals are engineered as such and require doors closed and air is moved directionally by design.

There is no similarity between AirDynes, Rowers and a BigAssFan circulating air around a gym and possible out the door and the air flow design of a negative air flow space.

@delling1000 And to add, I’m sure you’re aware that in setting up negative airflow rooms, in addition to airtight rooms funneling air, workers in the room have to wear full PPE.

I’m just mentioning this because we’re literally discussing how people in gyms are working out in a space with open doors, cardio machines whirling, giant fans and not so much as a face mask.

@dreamer6424 That’s amazing that you chose to do the right thing, I wish there were more people like you.

It’s a pretty sad reflection of humans that we are in the middle of the biggest health crisis of our lifetime and they think they’re special and rules don’t apply. It blows my mind that when a vaccine is developed there’ll still be nimrods out there who won’t use it because they think the whole thing is a conspiracy.

Back