What do you eat before an early morning workout?

jonahmerchant12

Switching work schedules soon and am planning on being in the gym early. I don’t want to go in with no fuel but the idea of eating anything at 6-7AM makes me nauseous tbh.

Are there any hearty/easily digestible foods I can use to get some fuel in me? I’ve heard some people say dates, maybe applesauce but I’m not sure that’s enough substance…

What do y’all do?

@jonahmerchant12 I can only do coffee with some soy milk in the early morning before working out. But having a relatively large, carb heavy meal (pasta usually) the night before seems to keep me energized the next morning until my first meal

@abba74 This is a really awesome suggestion.

I seldom think about it, but carb-loading can make a massive difference. Thanks for the reminder, kind stranger

@jonahmerchant12 I think that the best thing to eat pre-workout is something high in easily digestible carbs and low in fat and fiber. Things that work well for me are bananas, rice cakes, pretzels, toast, and clif bars.

@jonahmerchant12 I am up at 05:00 each day and in the gym by 05:30.

I’ve never eaten anything before training as its too early and I have no appetite at that point.

I’ll take 40g of maltodextrin in my pre-workout to give me some extra carbs otherwise I feel like I am going to hypo by the end of a session.

I try to make my dinners a fairly decent size as this is effectively your pre-workout meal that is fuelling your session.

@jonahmerchant12 Second the great suggestions above of banana, some kind of smoothie/protein shake, or rice cakes.

(Also second that training fasted is awesome, and preferable for me personally!)

Otherwise, things with increased surface area can be digested/broken down more quickly... so powders, butters or gels, basically.

Ultra-fine oats mixed with water (tastes like bland oatmeal milkshake), for example, or a big spoon of nut butter.

If you're not against more synthetic stuff, you could experiment with energy gels just before/during the workout, and then crack on with some proper food once you're done :)

@jonahmerchant12 I struggle with this too. I used to do a protein bar but I hate starting my day off with something ultra processed and full of sugar. I started having toast and a banana and that seems to be enough!

@jonahmerchant12 OATMEAL! For the win! Overnight oats; quick oats, steel cut oats; whatever kind of oats. It’s low on glycemic index - so you’ll have slow digestion, a constant flow of wholesome carbs. It’s got protein too! Maybe throw chia seeds in there. Blueberries are my jam