What's the equivalent to the 1,000 lb club or a sub 20 min 5k in other fitness domains?

samleebr423

Basically a difficult and impressive but achievable feat, that reflects that you're a serious and high-level intermediate in that fitness domain. One that takes years of training but is the goal of many people who are serious about the domain/sport.

You can list multiple feats, and the fitness domain could be anything, like sprinting, cycling, swimming, diving, climbing, parkour, etc.

Other than my 2 examples in the title, other examples I can think of are a sub 6 min mile in running, 1/2/3/4 in powerlifting, the human flag in calisthenics, the splits in flexibility/stretching, dunking in plyometrics, etc.

@sprinkle Calisthenics is so weird.

I was able to learn the muscle-up within an hour with a decent strength base, and did one-arm pushups with each side on my very first attempt last week.

On the other hand, I have been trying to learn a basic handstand hold for a year now.

@yunderdahl0101 I really think it's a mental issue with muscle-ups, at least if you've got the requisite strength, meaning once you've felt yourself going up once, your body will know what to do to replicate that motion. I've coached a few people to their first muscle up--granted, they were all stronger than your average gym rat--but once they were able to understand the path their body needed to travel, it was very achievable. Don't be afraid to start by kipping or using momentum either--strict muscle ups aren't far behind. If you have access to an assisted pull-up machine, those can actually help too if you keep the pad up and use your body to push off the machine.

On the other hand, for my handstands, I'm far behind in mobility and balance. Sadly I think these are things with no easy fix--I just have to chisel away at them slowly. It's awesome that you can handstand hold so easily though, I'm a bit jealous every time I see people do them at the gym.