When I run on the treadmill I am dying after just half a mile. How can I make myself go longer?

@thisisme123 No. You can do HIIT with anything in a weight room. Circuit training is a great example of HIIT. Pick 3-5 movements and do something like an EMOM.

@thisisme123 Start slower or shorter and push it out slowly over time. Don't worry about how shitty the first time you do it are.. Depends on where your fitness is now and what your focus is on. Running is just very weight sensitive. The lower weight, and leaner you are, the easier running is. Then it is just about doing it consistently. Running for me didn't get easy until I was at a weight that was much lower, with a lower body fat percentage, then I had in my adult life. So for me much of my change was just my diet and losing weight to run faster. And it has nothing to do with age. I am 48 now and 25 year old me couldn't run as far and as fast. I just have a lower body fat percentage and weight then I did at 25 now and I focus on endurance things so I am better at it then him. For me it just time and consistency to work up to it. When I started I picked a distance and speed I could do and then I slowly pushed out the distance and speed over time. If you are in weight loss mode you might want to do lower impact things like walking, hiking, until you get there. I took the first year of my weight loss to do that and only really added in running in my second year of loss when my weight had gotten to a more reasonable level. I started my changes 4 years ago. I couldn't even run 1-2 kms when I started. Today I am 48 and typically do 15km in about an hour when I go out for a run so a 9.3 MPH pace.

@thisisme123

Good God, are you trying to kill yourself?

Scale that shite back.

Intervals.

Now, this might sound easy, but I don't know where you are. My standard walking pace is 3.3. My "slow jogging pace" is 4 mph.

Jog 30 seconds. Walk 4 minutes 30 seconds. Repeat 5-11 times. (total time 30-60 minutes)

Next session, 1 minute on, 4 minutes off. If it's easy, 1.5 on, 3.5 off. Then 2 on, 3 off. Then 3 on, 2 off.

Then I have faster jogging pace and slow jogging pace. My "faster jogging pace" is around 5 mph. Repeat a similar process of faster jogging and slower jogging.

6.2. only time I see that are sprinters who do they running start thing.

@thisisme123 Don’t stop just go slower, then go faster again. When you can’t keep up that pace anymore go faster then drop back to that pace you didn’t think you could keep up anymore. Just keep going at any speed possible but just keep going.

@thisisme123 Music. Find a playlist you can lose yourself in. Or watch a show or listen to a podcast.

Alternatively, focus on your breathing and your form. Deep breath in the nose, out through the mouth. Lift your toes on your stride. Try to not bounce too much.

Between those things I can usually let my body do the run without me getting in its way.

@thisisme123 Rotate thru different run routines. The treadmill probably already has different programs in it for varying the speed and/or incline. Since you can't run more than half a mile, start slow. Below is a program I learned in a college PE class. I simplified it since you can't run a mile yet, but be consistent in your training and it will come with time.

Workout A: Slow jog for time, aim for 10 to 15min at a speed you can maintain.

Workout B: Walk/jog for distance. Set a distance goal and slow jog with walking breaks until you reach the goal. Try and make your walking breaks no longer than 1 minute. These breaks are for recovering so you can push hard again.

Workout C: Sprints. This is like the heavy weight day. Do a 100m sprint as fast as you can. Take 1 to 3 minutes to recover and repeat. Then do it again with 200m twice.

Assuming you don't have any other health concerns or weight that would hurt your joints, each week push yourself a little harder. Make the timed run longer. The distance run faster. And add an extra sprint to the sprint day. When you are up to 4x100m and 4x200m, add one or two 400m sprints at the end. As you get stronger instead jog/walk days, you'll do run/jog. Once a month do a performance test and see how fast you can run that half mile and later make it a 1 mile test.

@thisisme123 You’re running very fast for your fitness. Run slow. 6.2 is a 9 min mile which is hard to sustain if you aren’t a consistent long term runner. Start at 4.5 which is about 12-12.5 min per mile and a more enjoyable pace to start.

@thisisme123 Download a running plan. I started running by like walking 10 minutes then running 10 minutes then walking 8 minutes then running 12 minutes etc. and it starts off lower than that.

This is all to build your endurance. Also, damn run slower to start.

@thisisme123 I also do cycles. Run at a manageable pace for 4 minutes, slow down for 1 minute, and do this cycle a few times until you reach your goal.

Works easy if you are on a treadmill.

@thisisme123 You say you can't run any further, but you can, physically your body will be able to run MUCH further than that, I guarantee you. It's your mind that's stopping you.

Push yourself harder and you will run further.

@thisisme123 Run

Can’t do anymore?

Go sit down in the locker room or somewhere, pull out your phone, call your grandma and say hello or watch tik tok…..

Got your breath back?

Heart rate normal?

Not all hot , flushed, etc?

Good…. Now go again

Even if you don’t do another half mile

Maybe you do two more minutes or 30 seconds until you have to rest again

Build up

If you want to spend x amount of time at the gym exercising, stay at the gym all that time

Within a few weeks of doing this dailu, each time you are working out it will increase longer and longer

Sooner or later your rest breaks will be shorter, not as many, and one day non existent

Back