Which documentaries or videos helped motivate you greatly in taking health/fitness seriously?

@mahitis Arnold is eternally motivating! I'm a woman and will never look as buff as he did (nor am I trying to lol) but he's so good at making you feel like fitness is a wonderful & fun lifestyle everyone should participate in.

@nataliemurphy1007 You know when I was scrolling through this subreddit’s search looking for docs to watch, I’d say that Brittany doc got recommended and upvoted the most in comments. I think I’ll watch it this week now. Thank you for sharing so much!

@savedsue Quick point, Brittany Runs a Marathon isn't a documentary. I found it motivational, and its a good watch, but definitely fictional.

However, if you do end up watching it and liking it, Run Fatboy Run with Simon Pegg is a slightly similar premise and also funny as heck :p

I'll throw in another vote for That Sugar Film, though. That one was great.

@savedsue Tbh MTV’s The Challenge. There are so many women with a wide variety of body types and they’re all STRONG. And there is a huge emphasis on strength and capability.

@jcsga I used to love that show! Is it still on? I'm a sucker for physical challenge/obstacle course shows AND trashy reality drama shows, so it scratches two itches at once for me lol

@savedsue Being in medical school and seeing the wide variety of chronic health problems that can take so much from people has been enough for me. Seeing how many terrible things are associated with type 2 diabetes, obesity, and other largely avoidable health problems is enough. Reading about Korsakoff syndrome is enough to make me never want to drink again. I wondered at first why medical students all seemed to be in really great shape despite having so little time for themselves, and now I know. Facing the reality of what could happen to you one day, every day makes you want to do everything you can to protect your body while you can.

@villa143love I work in disability and it’s a great motivator for me. I don’t want my problems list to take up a full page. All my Covid claimants who had long Covid issues or died also had very large BMIs.

@dawn16 I’ve always been an active person, but I’m getting old, and my body has been through two pregnancies that did some damage. So, I’m just always in pain now.

This week, we went to the grotto - a place on Georgian bay shoreline that’s quite rocky. I swam in the wavy, dangerous lake, and was shaking after, but figured, it’s a hard swim, and the waves were pushing me around quite a bit.

Then, we climbed around to see the actual cave part. And I had to pull myself up a rock ledge. And I was struggling. It felt like all my muscles were tiny strings encased in fat.

Bit of a wake-up call. If I want to be active with my kids, I gotta do something. Now.