Why are my glutes so flat standing up?

marcusvef

Why are my glutes so flat but when Im on all 4s it’s real thick & jiggly? What is the science behind this?

I measure 46-48 in in the middle part of my butt but it doesn’t show up in photos even when I do that girl pose of pushing on leg out & the other behind like this https://www.google.com/search?q=gym...e-mobile&ie=UTF-8#vhid=w7pI1OfZIHlNzM&vssid=l

This pose actually makes me look flatter it’s the worst pose ever lol.. I do hip/glute thrusts, kickbacks etc all the normal butt workouts but I cannot take a photo or be happy with my results because I can’t see it or feel it??

Note: When I say all 4s I mean all 4s arched and NOT arched - butt in the air face nose deep into the bed not resting on my knees 😂

@marcusvef Well the poses you mentioned are classic ones for good reason, like any pose they’re gonna make the target body part look better than it is. Girls sitting on the sink and taking an ass selfie is another classic one. Bodybuilders don’t show their biceps off on stage by turning around and hunching over, so normal for your glutes to not look the same way in a non glute pose

Anyway as for your small glutes themselves the answer will be better / more training and patience. Hip thrusts are one great tool to build the glutes but they aren’t necessarily the best, probably shouldn’t be the most important exercise in a routine for glute growth and are commonly underdone anyway. As in people commonly don’t execute them as well as they could nor do they push for progression enough. I’m not saying you don’t, it’s just a common thing. Unweighted glute bridges and glute kickbacks are great for feeling the glutes but not so much for building them. The glutes are strong and need a lot of tension to actually grow.

If you don’t already, I would start pushing hip extension exercises more like RDLs and hypers. Really focusing on squeezing the glutes in a hyper can help you practice using / feeling them a lot more, and especially not just letting your low back take over too much. In that vid you’ll see I’m kind of struggling to lock my hips out because I’m trying to focus on my glutes doing the work. I could easily just snap all the way up mindlessly by letting my low back do plenty of work but then I wouldn’t feel the glutes doing their job as much. And RDLs are notorious for being hard to push. The movements feels difficult long before the glutes and hams actually reach their capacity so you’ll have to practice really pushing yourself on them. With practice you can probably handle a lot more weight than you think and with more reps than you think. That set felt challenging for me by the 8th rep but you’ll see I got 12 and likely had more in the tank.

Besides those, deep squat and lunge variations are also great glute builders. Biasing towards a wider stance and more hip dominant squat will help target the glutes extra though you don’t have to go overboard, it’s not like gonna take the glutes out of a deep squat no matter what style you use. Same for lunges and hip squats - putting your front foot further ahead will help shift some more work to your glutes.

Keep pushing for increased strength for reps on movements like that, and remember that glutes need a lot of tension and range of motion to grow, not just whatever’s going to make you feel them like kickbacks or glute bridges. Again those are good movements for isolating the glutes and isolation definitely has its place, but since you can’t load the glutes that much in those exercises they won’t be your best builders

Back