Why is 60 minutes classes the standard? 90 minutes classes would be much more efficient

@christianman02 It all comes down to one thing, space. If you have the space, none of things these are issues because there isn't any competition for space. I was at a very successful gym that had a 300+ member Crossfit affiliate, any dedicated oly area, a dedicated powerlifting area (both with active communities), spin, room for group fitness and yoga, plus on floor with a traditional "globe" style gym. The only think that made it work was its size. People are paying for the space to do the things they love, without the space, you just lose them to bigger or more specialized gyms.

@christianman02 I'm one of those who uses my crossfit gym for powerlifting training, as there is almost always equipment I need available and the space to use it. Occasionally I need to adjust my assistance lifts, but it is rare, and I'm willing to do it as overall I save a ton of time and effort compared to trying to do the lift at a commercial gym. Even more so when I'm prepping for strongman contests. Important caveats though. My gym is fairly big with lots of rack space, and even then, if there are huge classes going on and they need the equipment, I know they come first. The gym does run a powerlifting focused strength cycle with in house meet every year so there are other people doing it some times. I'm also willing to pay the premium for it, not a lot of powerlifters are. It helps that I like to still do crossfit classes for my cardio work on non lifting days. Even with all that, when I start my peaking programming I'm going to try and make it to a dedicated powerlifting gym a few times.

@bldssphq My suggestion is if you have a series of afternoon classes you could make your first and last classes 90 minutes. Our gym open at 3:30, but it could start at 3, then run a 4:30,5:30 hour long class for the working people who need to make it home after an hour of work, then a 6:30 90 minute class again

@bldssphq My gym does this with their Competition track. One 90 min comp class Mon-Wed and Fri, Sat. I feel like this along with open gym throughout the day satisfies a majority of those wanting to compete or need more than what the 60 min classes offer.

@bldssphq 90 min is a huge ask for folks with other commitments outside of the gym. That's not even counting the time in transit, etc. Carving close to 2 hours out of your day for working out on top of actual work, family, etc., isn't feasible for a good chunk of people.

@lovedandblessed
Like I mentioned in another comment."I actually almost included this (get ready + drive + stretch + drive + shower ) in the original post because it is actually in favor of my argument.Say you spend 2 hours in total, just to "train" 35 minutes... whereas spending 2.5 hours would net you 70 minutes... 25% more time, 100% more yield!"

@lovedandblessed Yes, I actually do... 22 months old & 10 months old actually. My wife is stay at home so it helps significantly. My reality with time isn't the same as most people so I guess my expectation are off.

@bldssphq Your situation is different, and it seems like you have the luxury of time to train for 90+ min a day. Good for you...but if a gym is posting 90 min classes, that would be a hard no for me because in my life, I don't have the flexibility in my schedule to commit to that much time in the gym 5+ days a week.

@bldssphq Or don't do a strength day and a metcon on the same day? That's the way Linchpin is structured. Heavy days get the respect they deserve and aren't rushed through because you've got another workout to do on the back end. If people want to stick around and do a strength cycle or something, that's their choice. I've followed Linchpin for years and this works just fine. Easier on my 43yr old broken down body too.

@bldssphq I mean, the whole point of CrossFit is kinda based around the high intensity aspect of it meaning you get more of a workout in a shorter window of time…

60 minute classes are plenty enough for average Joe.

For those serious about it, you’ll find they out in extra time on top of that which others just don’t want to put in / can’t put in.

@bldssphq Something that you're missing is the law of diminishing returns. Doubling the time on strength work will not double the results, it'll probably only add 20-30% depending how much volume you're doing in the first place.

@bldssphq Even on a squat-focused program, there is no need to squat more than twice a week. Sika Strength has a great video on it.

Also, you said you have been training for 18 months, trust me, those quick gains will slow down even with 2-hour sessions.

@bldssphq It all depends on how much volume you're comparing to and what you are training for.

E.g. for strength training going from 3 to 6 sets/week might add 20%, but going from 6 to 9 might only provide a marginal benefit. Strength is driven by intensity (%1RM), less by volume.

Hypertrophy is driven more by hypertrophy but even there diminishing returns seem to really set in heavily around the 8-10 hard set/week mark.

As for getting better at crossfit? No real data, but since crossfit is a sport of more volume in less time I'd guess volume is important. But the question is whether that really is the goal for most people.

Sources to look into for more info: strongerbyscience (strength), Eric Helms (str + hypertrophy), Brad Schoenfeld (hypertrophy), ..

@bldssphq I think in addition to all the great economic and personal schedule commentary we have to get back to basic principles:

CrossFit was not designed as a multi-part daily program. The whole premise is get in, hit one constantly varied functional workout with maximal relative intensity and get out. The point of CrossFit was never to be good at exercising, the point was to get fit so you could do more with your life OUTSIDE OF THE GYM. CrossFit is not about doing more - it's about doing less in the most efficient way possible.

.....but as an affiliate owner, the money stuff really matters too. It would be unfair to say it doesn't.

Back