Women’s vs men’s barbell

@123lx I thought about asking some other of the girls to go in together and buy some, but I still feel like sort of an ‘outsider’. It kinda feels weird bringing my own equipment in.

@123lx Either the monthly and yearly maintenance fees, there’s really no reason for them to have just 1 bar and to have to buy your own for a membership that you’re paying for.. I would’ve left that particular gym

@truthtellah My box has about 12 “women’s” barbells and 15 20kg ones. For some exercises I (a man) prefer the 15kg bar because I can focus on hook grip better and not worry about losing the bar. Deadlift is all 20kg, but snatch I prefer the 15. However I only use the 15 if nobody else needs it.

@janehenry C'mon, there are limits. I'm 6'2" with XL hands but asking me to hook grip an axle bar would be unreasonable. As a small-handed woman, OP's hand-to-bar ratio is probably not different from that.

@truthtellah No Idea how die hard your are into the crossfit

But You can always ask your owner if it is oke to buy your own barbell and store it at the gym.

for 200-300 bucks you can get some really good rogue/ rep fitness barbells

or even great secondhand eleikos

@truthtellah If the owner knows you have to use man's barbell and doesn't address it - change gyms as suggested by others. Barbell makes a huge difference, especially for drills and for having stable lifts in general.

@truthtellah I used to go to a gym that the more popular classes ran out of the 15k barbells. I ended up buying my own, putting a lock on it, and storing it at the gym. I’m not saying this is the right answer but it’s a solution. Your gym needs to do better!

Back