Working out with babies requires sacrifice from the entire family

@venutianpunk Yes! My daughters are 7 and it’s a but easier now. What really helped was, ironically, Covid. No gyms were open so my husband and I turned the garage into a gym. We’ve been adding to it since then. It makes it much easier to just jump into the garage to squeeze a workout in and the added benefit is modelling healthy habits to the kids. They know we workout because it helps us feel good. They have their own small dumbbells for the times they want to join in. I still don’t have the time I did before kids, but make it work how I can. Sometimes it’s a big leg day, others it’s a quick 20 minutes just for the endorphins.

@venutianpunk I've only managed it because my kid of the same age now does her own sports three times a week and I can go then, because my partner works shifts and I work during the day.

@venutianpunk I'm the dad, but this resonates so deeply with me. My kids are in elementary school now and it's STILL a struggle to find the time. Between work and family, everyone gets a chunk of my time. Except me.

@redeemedsinner As a father of 3 young kids, I had to move beyond the idea that I get to workout AND have a full night of sleep.

Short nights filled with interruptions will happen. I train anyway.

I lift and run, and do it all before 5:30am, or during my lunch hour at work. Which means it doesn't take away from family time or put any additional burden on my wife.

Oftentimes my long runs will start as early as 2-3am, or earlier, so that I can be back before my family wakes up, and around for breakfast/getting ready for school.

Investing in home gym equipment can be an absolute life changer, you don't need to spend time commuting to and from the gym, and can train right there, and if your family needs you, you can stop your workout, take care of the baby, then get back to it.

@bettie 2am 3am? Delulu schedule for me, as the kids say. But I'm more of a gym rat anyways. Also gym doesn't open until 7am...so it's evenings for me. 🥲 good for you being able to maintain that schedule.

@redeemedsinner My daily morning run is usually 4-8 miles, once per week it's 16-20+, and once per month I extend that one to 26+ miles, occasionally reaching 50+ miles and beyond, but usually 26-40ish

I average 70-80 miles per week, with 2-3 lifting days

@mom2nhl My wife and I start getting ready for bed right after our kids do, according to Garmin I've fallen asleep by 9:01 on average over the last year, and been awake by 4:23, for an average of 7:22 of sleep per night.

@mom2nhl When you run ultramarathons you have to learn how to run through the night on low sleep. Hundred milers can take 24+ hours depending on the course, and if you've never ran on low sleep in the dark, it can be a struggle, so practicing it makes a big difference.

This weekend my wife is going out of town with the kids to visit her sister, and I'm starting my long run at 6pm, with a plan of running straight through the night until the following morning! Lol