Would you guys be down for a 30-day L-sit/V-sit/Manna challenge so we could motivate each other?

My hamstring/pike compression is much better than it was a year ago, so I think I'm ready to start working toward my V-sit.

The thing is, I'm realizing I don't have the motivation to work on it diligently like I did for the L-sit. Maybe if I start a 30-day challenge for all of us to work on our goals, it would help all of us stick to our goals. What do you think? Yay or Nay?

@fromgenesistorevelation TL;DR Yes, I'm in

I've gotten more involved in yoga and fallen off the wagon with my L-sit practice, but yesterday in yoga class we did lifted lotus pose and it made me want to work on L-sit again.

I only got to one-foot supported L-sits, but I might be ready to try a tucked L-sit. Almost.

@fromgenesistorevelation What'd you have in mind Antranik? I'm down, might as well... but it seems like a V sit has three main things I need more of. Tricep strength for pushing the hips in front of the hands as much as possible, compression strength, and active flexibility. Two of those are just strength... it'll go up with a GtG month, but the real progress would take place over months of consistent work, same as normal strenght work... right? (I should be working on my flexibility daily for sure though).

Either way, I've been doing GtG on pulling for a while, no harm in switching to something else for a bit.

Fuck it, I'll take a video today of whatever I've got for a V-sit for form check Friday. Not sure if you wanted things to start today, but might as well get the starting point recorded.

@willy_b Doesn't have to start today... but if we are gonna go through with this, I'll be putting the resources/progressions up for the L, V and Manna so everyone of every level can get in on the action.

In regards to the flexibility taking a while, what I've been noticing is that by simply working the V-sit progressions (such as a one legged high tuck) stresses the active flexibility component of the move as well as triceps/compression strength at the same time. Will I be able to hold a V-sit in 30 days? Maybe not, but I'll at least be closer than before. And even then, there are varying degrees of the V-sit, so it's kind of a long adventure anyway.

@fromgenesistorevelation You may want to put manna as a separate challenge for 730-1095 days because it's extremely rare. Same goes for planche, but I guess some people can learn it in a year or less. But I would say it takes even longer to achieve full protraction. It took me more than 18 months to get it on parallel bars. I can't imagine how long it will take to get on rings.

@holisticherbgirl Haha I liked the 730-1095 days (2-3 years)...

But it's okay, people don't have to achieve a full L/V/Manna in 30-days... the point of this month is going to be to help get you focused and closer to your goals. It may take more weeks/months to hit the final goals, and that's totally fine.

@fromgenesistorevelation For sure... I think the OG strength chart even has a whole column taken up with V sit, where every 'level up' is adding a few more degrees. A vertical V-sit (90 degrees) looks like is about halfway through his intermediate level. Haha... if I end up with a solid 45 degree V sit in the next while though, I'll be pretty happy.

On the plus side, my leg lifts have gotten way, way more clean in the last two months, so who knows... maybe this is a good time to see where my real current record would be at. Any extra tricep strength would definitely help speed up my dip progression I guess. Anyway, sounds good Antranik.

@willy_b
if I end up with a solid 45 degree V sit in the next while though, I'll be pretty happy.

Same here! What hold time should we shoot for? 10-sec 45deg V? Anyway, looks like the response is good enough to make this challenge happen... I'll make a new thread when I have the resources put together, and I'll ask people to mention what progression and hold time they are at so they could compare one month from now.

@fromgenesistorevelation I am so in. I have never worked on L-Sits before (I just follow the sub in addition to /r/fitness for supplement work ideas) so if one is started it would be really interesting to compare the progression rates across various levels or experience. Plus, I just built a pull up/dip station so I have more reason to use it now.

@willy_b I like the idea of encouraging people to record videos. It could be for form check, or to inspire others, or just to share where we are; but I'm mostly interested in actually being able to see my progress. And it would be interesting to see other folks' progress.

@fromgenesistorevelation is an L-sit something one can work on every day (effectively)? whenever I work on compression my hip flexors get crazy sore and I take one day off them at least.

splits and squat challenges make sense because they are more flexibility related. this just seems like it should be done every other day with the strength training routine, but you all would know better than I. are there other helpful exercises that I don't know about to work towards L-sit?