YOU WHO CAN PLANCHE: What was you training plan?

praylove

I'm done screwing around with my training.

I've got goals, people.

Exactness is very much preferred if you are kind enough to give your regimen.

What kind of frequency and volume were you performing? What ratio between isometrics and dynamics? Set/rep ranges?

Also, would you say that planche training is much different at all in approach to any other movement?

i.e. If X sets of Y reps Z times a week of exercises A B and C got you the planche, do you think that exercising say the front lever in the same format would be just as effective?

All answers are appreciated to the extreme.

I thank God a forum like this exists.

EDIT: Someone asked me at what stage I am. I can hold tuck planche for about 7 seconds. Not very good.

I am 5'8", 155 lbs, 18 years old, can hold a human flag for maybe 5 secs, can do maybe 5 consecutive straight-legged muscle ups, and can do about 12-16 consecutive chest-to ground 1-arm pushups (good form, no torso twisting).

I can hold a straddle front lever for maybe 3-4 secs.

Working on a back lever.

I just wanna make real progress.

EDIT 2: Wow I guess lots of people are frustrated about the elusive planche...

@praylove I can't planche yet, but i want to throw this in:

He claims that properly training planche less frequently than other exercises can lead to better progression, because the muscles/ligaments in the elbow pits take longer to recover. It's an interesting insight, and you can think about how it will affect your straight arm strength training.

@praylove As someone who canNOT do the full planche, I hope my advice is still valid.

OP, you really want to know how far you are away from planche? Buy a pulley and set up a counterweight dream machine.

This method has brought me from 16s tucked planche to 3s 1leg advanced tucked planche in just over 6 months, training just isometrics for straight-arm strength.

Lots of people think there is a 'magic bullet' for getting the planche 'fast'. The bottom line is that it takes a long time unless you are already phenomenally strong in both your muscles and your tendons (or you are unbelievably light). If you're a year away from it, does it matter whether you get there in 0.9 years or 1.2 years? Remember, the faster you go, the greater your chance of injury, and the further you delay your getting the planche.

IMHO, the most important thing for these long term projects is quantifiability. Whether you are marking centimetres off the floor in planche lean or reducing the counterweight on your dream machine, as long as you're making quantifiable progress, you know:

1) how fast you are going,

2) how long it will take to meet your next milestone goal

Lastly, keep in mind the hand position of your planche will determine the stresses your elbows and wrist face, and so how much tendon preparation is required:
  • Hands back: most stress on biceps and medial epicondyle
  • Hands forward: most stress on the wrists
  • Hands 45° diagonally forward: I believe this stresses the brachialis the most, but is kinder on the biceps and wrists
  • On Paralletes: This should be similar to Hands 45°.
EDIT: I did not answer your question about sets x time.

I train 4x a week, at different planche variations (different shoulder angles), at different hold times. For example:
  • Mon: Adv Tucked Planche, -7.5 lbs, 3x30s
  • Wed: 1Leg Adv Tucked Planche, -12 lbs, 4x15s
  • Fri: Half Lay Planche, -37.5lbs, 3x25s
  • Sat: 1Leg Adv Tucked Planche, -25lbs, 3x30s
You could probably go harder at 5s sets, but to accumulate appropriate volume, you'd have to do many many sets, and ain't nobody got time for that.

I use /@deborah123's isometric prilepin table as a guide for sets x time.

@praylove Here's me when I could do a full planche:

I was training planche 3 times a week amongst other exercises so a total of 6 times a week, purely for strength. In my opinion the best way to train planche is extremely high intensity to develop neuromuscular changes the fastest. That's if your tendons can handle it.

My routine would go something like this:

-Warm-up with 5x3 secs advanced tuck and a few advanced tuck pressups.

-attempt the hardest advanced tuck position by extending my legs until failure. Repeat 20 or so times until I got bored.

-maximum intensity planche leans until failure for a similar amount of reps.

Don't bother with trying to get 30 seconds tuck planche or all that nonsense, it will only slow your progress. I don't think I could even hold a 15 second tuck planche when I could perform the full planche.

EDIT: If you are over 6 foot or weigh over 80kg, don't bother. For reference I am 61 kg and 5'7".

@dawn16 I'm just over 80kg and working my way towards it (hopefully) following Gymnastics Bodies programming....

Will have to come back in 18 months or so and let you know if I made it or not!

Just started frogstands.....

@dawn16 Thanks, will have to see how far I get. I'm training 3x a week at the moment, so putting a fair bit of effort in. The other 3 days are weight lifting and one rest day.

Stop asking the same question, guys. You can do the math yourselves. He says if you are over 6 or 80, it's not impossible, but extremely difficult.

FitnessFAQs can almost do a full planche and he hits both of those marks I think. He can do straddle planche.

Back