“Renaissance periodization has jumped the shark” - Alex Bromley. Any thoughts on this video?

@auxier587 Depends on what's right, or more saliently to most people, what you believe is right. If you're a science guy, he has for a long time recommended full rom over lengthened partials for example (and even in a recent video with Menno, insisted on doing the lengthened-focused lateral raises with a full RoM for some reason, which is a nice way of tiring your front delts a bit without having a meaningful stimulus I guess). Or, for example, him saying the front squat is bad for hypertrophy is kinda odd to 90% of humans and the literature (which shows it to be just as effective if not moreso in a lot of cases compared against back squatting, though I don't believe this literature to have much meaning as it's typically over a short period of time to be fair).

If you're into the bro stuff, his insistence on nothing but full rom is wrong for the opposite reason as the science stuff, for example. His position on cheat reps being completely useless or borderline negative is odd, there's nothing negative about what is essentially a mini drop set at the end of Biceps curls for example (by cheating the weight up with hips/delts/traps and controlling the eccentric, the Biceps being stronger at the fully lengthened position AND humans being stronger eccentrically than concentrically allow you to meaningfully control the decent for quite a few reps beyond concentric failure) for example and nothing inherently superior about performing it in the manner of a traditional drop set (drop sets are probably more effective, cheat sets are more time efficient). They're two different things that accomplish different goals, but Mike says you should not be doing this form of cheat rep ever for some reason.

Mike has just always had a habit of being pretty dogmatic about things that are grey at best... then also saying "it all works just do it however you like but also you're wrong but also do it however works best for you hehehe *sex joke*".

@ainigma Do you know where his insistence on using full ROM came from? I’d like to know what led him to recommending that in the first place.

Also, could you elaborate how those lateral raises he demonstrated tire out the front delts? I assume you mean front delts would be the limiting factor as opposed to side delts? Thank you for taking the time to write out this response by the way.

@auxier587 A lot of his principles are based on his own experiences from what I’ve gathered. Especially the deloading. He has said that full ROM, tons of control, pausing in the stretch, etc. gives him the best SFR and feels the best on his joints.

@auxier587 I don't know where it comes from. It's a reasonable take that full rom is a safe middle ground for well-rounded development and whatnot, but I don't get how he arrived at full rom being the gold standard for everything.

His version of the lateral raises should not fail due to the front delts, however the front delts are going to be mostly responsible for getting you out of the start of the concentric phase when following Mike's form. Menno even made that comment himself that it's a way to add the front delt to the movement a bit. My opinion is that it won't be significantly stimulating for the front delt at all really, it's just a bit of extra work and commensurate fatigue for it.

@cbrooks624 Huberman comes out with some life changing advice though. Mike doesn't.

As a bodybuilder, Mike hasn't achieved a thing. He's a novice at best. Huberman is a bona-fide Rockstar in his realm. Mike isn't.

@piecebypeace What do you mean he hasn't achieved a thing?

He has his own company, coaches achieved clients, has an app, gives free good bodybuilding advise, is jacked. If you're talking in terms of bodybuilding show accomplishments, that's pretty dumb. He just doesn't have good genes to compete. His muscle insertions aren't pretty. Jared Feather who trains the same as him is an IFBB Pro and coaches other pro clients.

@piecebypeace
As a bodybuilder, Mike hasn't achieved a thing. He's a novice at best.

Is this relevant to any argument? Many of the best sport scientsts aren't the good coaches, many of the best coaches aren't the best athletes and many of the best athletes are horrible coaches. This is true for all sports.

@palesa His channel is built on applying his background as a sports scientist for competitive bodybuilders. I think it's fair to ask if he's had any meaningful results with people winning after following his advice

@giacmosuaviet He's applying his background as a scientist to discuss what the science shows and how you can apply that to your training the best for bodybuilding. It's not for competitive bodybuilders at all as a main point, it's for people hobbylifting semi-seriously with a focus on bodybuilding.

If you want to be a competitive bodybuilder why would you ever be focused on a YouTube channel alone instead of getting an actual coach? Working on a big youtube channel with daily videos, an app and also working at a college as a professor is way too much work to ALSO put in the time to coach a professional bodybuilder. His marriage would be dead and he would deserve it.

@piecebypeace Huberman peddles some good stuff, but also loads of shit.

AG1, AG1, AG1 (overpriced bollocks only attractive for the sales affiliate program), .... and out of the entire fitness etc. youtube world he had Jeff Cavaliere on, of all people, seriously?

Huberman may have started out as a "bona-fide Rockstar" but by now he's sold out and you have to take everything he shares with a large pinch of salt, weed out the good from the bad.

Just waiting till he gives that quack Dr Gundry a platform, praising how great his advice is ...

@piecebypeace Next to nothing he provides is actually life changing. He also pretty consistently cherry picks data points to fit into whatever stance he's taking. Huberman is CERTAINLY not a "bona-fide rockstar" in this realm. He is the Joe Rogan of this realm. He plays this calm "I'm not influenced by anyone I just tell it like it is" persona. But in reality he's heavily influenced by anyone willing to pay him enough money to peddle their idea/product. He's Doctor Oz with a YouTube channel.

Back