100 Push-up Challenge at 50 BPM

@roemknz If you google 'online metronome', a metronome comes up, and you then just adjust to 5 BMP. The best way to count it out (seems to me) to be to count 200, counting on each down and up ("1-2"). Of course, you could also not count at all, and just have a stop watch handy.

I've just tried it-I haven't down regular push ups for a long time, and have already done some hard shoulder work today- but it harder than I expected- I only got to 60 (i.e. counting to 120 on the down-up pattern). It was my pecs that gave way.

I'll try it again tomorrow, when I'm fresh, and see if I can make it.

Thanks for the great challenge!

@roemknz I started with 5 and went upto 25 in one set. Then stopped working out for 3 months, had 2 operations and one month Hospitalization..NOW I AM BACK TO 5. FUCKSKSKSKS

@roemknz What a great idea I'm going to try this later. I'm wondering what everyone's bench press max is? I'm 6'3 , 200 lbs, and can only bang out 225 for 1. Hopefully this style of training can help improve that.

@student101 I feel as if push ups really helped me bench press too. I’m 17, 195, and my one rep max is 340 lbs. the question isn’t whether there is or isn’t a carryover, it’s by how much (granted it may be slight but definitely evident).

@roemknz Does anyone have a recommended training plan for this? I can’t imagine just smashing sub-max push ups at 50bpm is the best. 2 mins straight requires some pretty serious core stability.

@rspooner Is your main issue with being able to do so many pushups or shoulder endurance? If you just struggle with the pushup endurance aspect I have posted a 100 pushups program (30 day cycle) you can follow. I also feel if you can up your push up count to this extent your core will be able to keep your body straight for the most part. And for shoulder incorporation too, I’d recommend moderately weighted paused push ups

@roemknz I think it would be my push up endurance. Or at the very least, working on push ups at that rate would simultaneously increase push up and core. I’d be interested in your program and want to join you in this challenge. This is awesome!

@rspooner For injury prevention, I'd make sure to do some sort of face pulls or band pull aparts or whatever the bwf equivalent of those is and also to do a lot of pull ups.

For core stability, I would do three different isometric holds. One in the pushup down position, one in the up position and the third could just be a standard plank. Then you do some progression with equal rest between the holds all the way up to maybe 3 or 4 minutes each. Regular planks actually progress fairly rapidly, so if you do this every other day it shouldn't really be a problem. This is probably overkill, and pushup training would likely be sufficient, but I think this would be faster, easier and potentially more optimal.

Then for pushups I would do both a regular volume progression for standard pushups, and then also the sub-max push ups at 50 bpm. If we want to treat this as a proper endurance sport (ie maybe shoot for a higher goal than 100 total), you could do a few days of volume work and then once a week go for a longer set. This weekly long set can be increased by a few pushups a week, trying to peek at whatever your goal total is.

@rspooner I got a free app called just six weeks. It says you will get to 100 push-ups in six weeks if you follow it. I’m on week five day three. It’s taken me about 9 weeks to get here (I stalled out at week 5 day 1 for about two weeks ) but I’m improving greatly. When I started I could do 24. At six weeks I got 48. I hope to be at 100 in about 4 weeks. They have a bunch of other workouts that cost 3 or 4 dollars each. I’ll probably buy them once I finish the push-up program.