19.3, an owner’s ignorance, and a culture of cheating

@will8764 The problem with a lack of standards in one area is that it will lead to a lack of standards in other areas. That's dangerous and stupid when it comes to Olympic weightlifting.

@will8764 My box takes the open very seriously and we don't have any games bound. Very strict on the box step ups and the lunges.

We did allow even more scales on the handstand push ups, but they really wanted to you to get upside down, even if you could only do 1 at a time.

No one at our box signed up online (We gave $20 to our box and signed up for 2 different teams representing new equipment that the box will get, based on who wins).

@will8764 I would say it depends on why the infraction is taking place. The 50' course COULD have been a simple oversight, and I suppose if nobody in your gym is fit enough to progress past the Open and everyone is using the same 50' course then...meh? Power cleans being counted for reps in 19.2...well, I would count them, too, IF that is is the full range of motion for that particular athlete (they better be doing scaled, though, if that's the case...) If they're a competitive athlete, however, and they're perfectly capable of a squat clean, a good wall ball, etc., then no-rep them for days! If they get upset at being no-repped then they'll start doing good reps.

@will8764 This is why I looked at “strict” hspu as a dumb open movement. Most gyms have members judging during the open nights. There is no way an average CFer is going to properly judge a strict hspu based on the official Cf standards.

It’s like last year. A friend of mine at another box and I were talking about 18.4(I think that was the hspu one) and I had said we had a ton of no reps bc of the standard. He goes “yea we didn’t have any”. Now, does he go to a better gym, yes but I saw quality athletes get no repped multiple times. The idea that no one got one was absurd and makes me think they weren’t doing it right and their judges were just letting it go.

I think most gyms have the problem where members are just laxed on being too strict with the judging. It is what it is.

@will8764 Rules is rules.

As far as the open goes, if an athlete does not preform the workout exactly how it is written, RX or scaled, don’t submit a score.

For example: 19.2 was going to be a short workout if I RX’ed and not challenging enough if I scaled. So I scaled the weight on the squat cleans and RX’ed the rest. My coach reminded the class that because I didn’t choose either RX or scaled I could not submit a score.

People that have a substandard workouts get substandard results. For 99% of us crossfiters the leaderboard doesn’t matter.
I’m there to have fun and get fit.

@will8764 I go back and forth on this issue. It annoys the crap out of me when people shave reps or somehow cheat during workouts. But unless we're talking about someone cheating their way into the CrossFit Games, that athlete is only hurting themselves and they will reap their own reward for cheating.

@will8764 what you are seeing is 100% a sign of what is to come and probably how the culture at your gym has looked for a bit. My gym has a very negatively competitive environment at the moment and it is completely top down because the owners aren't doing anything about it.

@will8764 Just IMO, you're being too sensitive. I understand that this isn't quite the standard but...it doesn't seem likely to actually impact anything for anyone. If what's going on is seriously incompatible to you, you should find another gym (not a snarky comment I'm serious -- find a place that is a good fit for you).

Back