CrossFit culture…

@godwrestler Every gym is different. That was exactly my experience at my first gym.
I told the owner and asked for my money back (they garanteed your money back if you weren't satisfied within the first 90 days). You can tell the owner. It's good for then to get that kind of feedback so he relays it to his trainers.

@godwrestler The super fit people are there to train, not make friends.

Trainers not explaining is a bad thing, but it could just be that they're used to everyone knowing what they mean. You have to speak up. That could suck, but it might help.

Was said cocky kid a trainer? Was he trying to help? It's weird to me that you started by complaining that nobody seems to want to talk, then got pissed that somebody gave you advice.

The culture is not universal, but honestly I kinda feel like you need to figure yourself out a bit instead of judging the box. If you're upset that people won't talk to you and then also upset that people do talk to you, I don't think the problem is the gym.

@godwrestler "Kid, young enough to be my son"... Ok Boomer! Haha

Being new in a crossfit gym can be intimidating for a lot of people even if you claim to be an extrovert. I think it's a mixture of new environment with being in a class setting where you see friendships but dont know people or their personalities yet. It will get better. Dont take the people being standoffish as off-putting. Some people are d-bags, some are introverts, and some just dont want to bother others who might not want the attention (me) so its not all bad vibes here, just different personalities.

You'll get better. Workouts will still suck. You'll get to know people and make a few friends over time. Just keep going. Dont take it personal, just try to beat yesterday. It might be a class and some people are stronger and more fit but this is your journey.

@godwrestler Absolutely talk with your coaches and explain your feelings. I am both a coach and long term athlete and CrossFit can be for anyone. Cultures vary by gym and class time, and it may take trying another time to get with a good group. As others have said, a 5:30am class may have people who are more focused on getting in a workout and getting out than chatting, but your coach should always be there to make you feel comfortable.

@godwrestler I found CrossFit the very opposite. I’m an introvert and by the 2nd weeks multiple people starting up conversations and had a partner wod buddy already.

I’m also at a small-non competition style box.

@godwrestler I would say that CrossFit can be elitist in its programming; the tendency to have workouts where only Games contenders can do them as designed is a constant implicit "this isn't really for you". That said, the boxes I've been to have been good about scaling and supportive of newbies. If the coaches aren't explaining the movements or why they're asking you do an exercise a certain way, they're doing a bad job of coaching.

@godwrestler Stay away from the top athletes, they are smug. And find you a gym that has some like minded people. That culture is not universal but if you join a gym with a lot of top athletes, that’s what it is gonna be like. There is a level of ego and pride that comes with it unfortunately.

@godwrestler Sounds like you’re attending a more competition focused/serious gym. My place is very social and everyone is welcoming and nice and it’s really really chill. Some people have actually left due to this, because they’re looking for more of a box like the one you go to. Different strokes I guess

@godwrestler Agree with a number of other comments - could just be your gym or the class culture and not necessary CF as a whole. I am not very competitive and started CrossFit in 2013 just looking for a good workout. I have found this community to be super welcoming, supportive, and encouraging overall. Try another time slot if you have the flexibility and if you still get that vibe, try another gym. Membership is expensive and you deserve to be trained by accommodating coaches alongside supportive classmates!

I found myself looking for a new gym recently and luckily the first place I dropped in at was the one I joined. I had been stalking local gyms’ social media for months and honestly one of the most telling things for me was the kinds of athletes they posted to their feed (real people vs. their very obvious top performers).

@godwrestler This could be particular to your box/class, I'd try a different time schedule (if able) and see if you click better with other athletes. Not everyone is out there to compete and some people are more extroverted and/or welcoming to new people than others.

No one, other than the Coach, should comment on your form *unless* you were about to hurt yourself and especially when scaling; never let people bring you down for doing Ring Pull Ups, Knees-Down Push Ups, or smaller Box Jumps, they all work wonders when done right and the whole deal of Crossfit is its scalability!

As for the lingo, you can pick it up over time or look it up, there are tons and tons of articles, and the main site explains all of them. Lots of people have a hard time learning them, I know I did lol.

edit: Clarity

@godwrestler My box is the opposite, people are nice and helpful and patient. For reference I’m 5’7 and was 232 lbs when I started and 42 years old with asthma. So it’s not like I fit the mold

@godwrestler That is not my experience in any way. Every single person, at one point or another, has introduced themselves, helped me when I looked lost and told me good job after class. Coach checks in every single class.

Back