[29M] Been training since 2021, not seeing much progress. Please help?

@ladydenise226 Depending on your goals, which sounds like are a muscular body, you’re not lifting near enough weight, or doing enough reps, or exercising frequently enough.

@ladydenise226 Your volume and weight is way too low

I plateaued with calisthenics too, but I never was doing this low volume set/reps

I didn’t add weight but it was 100 reps minimum, you’re not even hitting 1/4 of that

It’s good that you’re getting exercise in, but you’re barely getting any type of hypertrophy with this regimen

@vvshinedownvv I'm feeling a bit lost about how many reps I should aim for during my workouts. That's the part that's confusing me the most right now. Also, I only have about 1.5 hours max for each training session. How can I manage to fit in a full-body workout like yours with 100 reps?

@ladydenise226 Doing the RR listed in the FAQ takes me roughly an hour M/W/F (mobility work is done on off days). It goes into the detail on what to do. I am seeing significant progress and I’m eating in a deficit. 5’7 150lbs eating around 130-150grams of protein a day (even on off days).

@ladydenise226 Don't worry about how many reps. Just keep doing reps until you literally, physically cannot do another one. That's a set. Rest a few minutes and then do it again. Do at least 3 sets per exercise.

If you have to do a crazy number of reps to get to failure, that's when you add weight. Shoot for being able to do between 5 and 30 reps.

Personally, I don't like doing lots of reps, so once I can do 10 reps with a given weight, I add about 10% more weight which usually knocks me back down to 5-6 reps.

It's good to keep track of how many reps you are doing so you know that you are progressing. But if you aren't going close to failure, you're not gonna grow.

@ladydenise226 you are not lifting enough, especially if you've been hitting this for 3yrs consistent.

you are a little fat, the bulking worked a little bit I see some muscle gain beneath it all, but you're still overall 'soft.'

lift big, sleep big, eat big, get big

@harcle I actually want to understand the ideal weight for squats and the frequency at which I should progressively add weights to my routine. I didn't see any guidance for how often I should add weights or how much I should add in the subreddit training guide. Can you offer some guidance?

@ladydenise226 In the weight lifting world, there is a thing called "training to failure" and "reps in reserve".

Training to failure means you do an exercise until you are unable to make a single additional rep without compromising your technique.

Your muscles are so tired that you physically cant do the lift the way you are supposed to.

Reps in reserve means you stop a certain number of reps before reaching the failure point as described above.

Training to failure is universally agreed to be the most muscle growing way to do a single training session, however it makes you fatigued for several days after and it is more beneficial to train more often, so people generally train with 2-3 reps in reserve.

So how to pick your weights?

Simple you do which ever weight makes it so you reach your desired reps with about 2 reps in reserve.

Generally for growing muscles you want to aim for between about 8-12 reps, in which case the weight you pick should be too heavy to lift 15 times (with correct form).

For example, if you were physically unable to do 15 squats in a row with 7.5lbs, then 7.5lbs would be the correct weight for you.

And yes, this is supposed to feel hard!

The lest few reps you should be really pushing your self to complete.

Part of training is also to train your will power.

@ladydenise226 For some context about why people are consistently mentioning the 7.5 lb squat: After three years of training with consistent progression and recovery, it would be pretty normal to barbell back squat with 1.5x to 2x of your bodyweight in added weight. It would also be pretty normal for your bodyweight to go up considerably in that time period, so something like 225-315 lbs would be pretty normal for someone who started at 100 lbs and trained and ate for three years.

This is not to say that you are in an unrecoverable place at all. You have built the core training habits that need to underpin any serious fitness endeavor. While the numbers I described above are common for people who train hard for three years straight, training for three years straight is much less common. You’ve got the most important part down, now to add the sort of load progression that puts the “hard” in “hard training.”

@ladydenise226 For squat and deadlift you generally add 10lbs per week, though at your very low weights I would say find your 1 rep max or close to it and then cut back to like 85% of that and start adding weight for reps

Should add that you can do smaller increments once it gets heavier, but once 5lbs becomes too much it's best to cut back again and start building back up.

For your weight you could probably jump to a 50lb squat as a starting point and be perfectly fine but follow your body cues on what you feel comfortable with.

Sidenote that you'll probably need a barbell soon if not already if you're looking to squat with weights

@ladydenise226 Your volume is low. You did 6 sets of back work in a week. Id you did 3x8 then they probably weren't intense or hard. It's recommended to do 10-20 of hard sets per week. Back is huge in terms of musculature, so at the very least train way harder ( closer to failure) and train with more sets (10-20 per week).

@ladydenise226 this is not enough exercise for one day and you are doing it for a week?. heavier weights, more sets, more exercises.

otherwise pretty much waste of time imo.

@ladydenise226 You're not at a crossroads, you just need to keep going in the same direction but much harder. You're going too light, not doing enough work, and not eating enough.

You need to at least double your weekly number of sets per muscle group, which will mean adding an extra exercise for each movement pattern. This won't take that much longer if you're properly pairing exercises, and the results will be profoundly better.

Be much more aggressive with your progressions in intensity (safely). You are vastly stronger than the weights you're using for Squats and Floor Press, for example - literally by an order of magnitude in the case of squats. Under pressure you could leg press 150lbs right now.

All skinny guys, me included, need to face the fact that they do not really know what eating a lot entails. You simply cannot trust your appetite, instincts, or estimates. A PB&J, protein shake, and avocado is the amount of calories you should be eating by accident every time you pass through the kitchen. Track your calorie intake for a week, calculate your TDEE, then do whatever it takes to create a 10% surplus over this number, with 100g of protein per day.

You already built the habit, made some progress, and learned a lot, but you just need to step on the gas if you really want results. You'll get there.

@ladydenise226 A PB&J and an avocado. You haven't changed your diet except for adding more fat, sugar, and a couple slices of likely sugar-filled bread to it... 🤦‍♂️

Pay attention to your macros and caloric intake and don't just "add a snack".

Push yourself harder, don't just keep using 7.5lbs weight for 4 years and expect any change.

@ladydenise226 Let me tell you what i did to become more jacked then my brother who had a 3 year ahead start then me.

stuck to a high protien diet (eggs,chicken,beef) and ate alot.
weight trained but with intensity, if you are not making weird faces on your last rep you are not training hard enough. Add drop sets at the end of each exercise so for example ill do a drop set on my last and third set of bicep curls and again on the last set of hammer curls and again on the last set of preacher curls.
you need to give your muscel time to rest. So dont train the same muscle before a 48-72 hour period
you dont need to go to the gym 6-7 times a week 4-5 is enough but it depends on the intensity.
work in the 8-12 reps range which means that at by the time you are unable to do another rep you should fall within this range. After you are able to do more then 12 reps increase the weight.
full range of motion and slow essentric.

This all seems like alot but it isnt when you get used to it which will take like a month.

@ladydenise226 Mostly body weight with those added weights and amount of volume doesn't seem like you'll be hitting the intensity needed for muscle growth. Are you training to failure? Training should feel hard.

@ladydenise226 Yea my dude, you need to scrap your current workout and start lifting if you want to be muscular. Like others have said you should be getting to the end of 3 sets of 8-12 and be struggling to get the last rep in.