3-Year Calisthenics Journey - Before and After - 6’8” 215lbs to 225lbs

@christopher3927 Unfortunately, I don’t really take care of my diet. I’d like to say I eat relatively clean and mainly home cooked meals.

Only notable things are is:
-I’ve completely cut out bread
-to maintain my weight I need to eat around 3500-4000 calories a day
-I don’t drink alcohol

@kema1212 I started rings in the last month and I agree: humbling 100%. I added them as part of weightlifting program and I find that they are a great addition. I am progressing on the RTO, dips, push-ups, pike push-ups, pulling exercises, but L-sit is nearly impossible. I’d be interested as a fellow tall guy how you overcame. What you say about videotaping and analysis is spot on. I definitely get more critical about ROM and form. Often I had to get honest and do 3 solid, controlled reps rather than 10 sloppy reps. You look awesome.

@dawn16 You’re not going to like my answer, but it’s just the cold hard truth especially for taller people. It takes a long time for your tendons to adapt to movements and also for your muscles to learn how to stabilize. My only advice is proper form and staying consistent - one month of rings is a very short time.

What sucks is you will not progress as fast as shorter folks even if you work at it harder. It’s something you have to accept but at the same time makes achieving movements that much more rewarding. For example, I am three years in and I STILL cannot achieve a strict muscle up, however I can do a pull-up with 90lbs added on.

@kema1212 For sure I am aware of those limitations. I’m taking a consistent and measured approach to the process—- having a blast at the same time.

@kema1212 Looks good bro. Keep that diet up and keep pushing yourself! You got this! Try eating a plant based diet and see how that impacts your journey, I bet your results will be sick!

@jgc Thanks man! I’ve thought about it - the only drawback is with the work I’m doing and my baseline rate I need around 4000 calories a day to progress.

I’m wondering how feasible that is on a plant based diet. Do you have any tips or resources?

@kema1212 I went to 3500 plant based. The secret is to get a shitload of different legumes and nuts. But I went back to protein powder and the occasional chicken breast because eating constantly was exhausting and I was unwilling to start including unhealthy sugars just to meet quota. I still have 15 bean soup 3 nights a week, fill up on fresh fruits every day for lunch, and get plenty of nuts for snacks. It's good habits even if you aren't 100% plant based.

@dgiharris Hey man, don’t worry you will get it! I highly recommend 3 movements that helped me achieve my first pull-up:

-Scapular pull-ups: going from a complete dead hang to an active hang for reps
-Active hang for time
-Pull-up Negatives: this is the key to achieving a pull-up as it is the eccentric movement of a pull-up. Jump up to the top of the pull-up and lower yourself as slow as possible to a complete dead hang. Try your best to maintain the same pace your entire descent.

When I first started I would do:

3-sets:
3 Pull-up negatives
10 scap pull-ups
20 seconds active hang
Rest

Good luck!

@dgiharris I'm still working on my first too, but I can definitely tell that scapular pulls and negative pull-ups have helped me develop my back a lot.
However I still miss some strength to initiate the pull-up from a dead hang.. still working on it
(6'9'' BTW)