3 Years of Calisthenics (Lots of info)

button

M, 170Lbs (77kg) / 6ft (183cm), 25 yrs old

๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ Hello! And welcome to my 3rd annual progress post!! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

Video version of this post (8 min) - here

Previous Progress posts: Year 2 & Year 1

Stats Sheet Containing: Achievements, Weight, Injuries, & Training Plans [referencing this doc so this post doesn't get too messy]

You also might remember me from the 'Every Push Up Progression' post I did a few months ago. So here is that if you want to check it out.

Now on with the good stuff!!!!!

Progress Pictures:​

2018 vs 2021

Posing

Bad Lighting and no posing (aka trying to look as bad as possible)

Favorite Achievements:​

\Full list w/ dates on the stats sheet linked* here\*

Skills:

Front Lever (6 Sec) | Better Form (4 Sec)

Front Lever Pull Up (Bad Form & Kipping but it still makes me happy)

Straddle Planche (Piked)

Handstand Push Up

+40 Second Handstand / Starting 1 arm Handstad training

Harder handstand variations

Weighted Calisthenics:

Chin up +135LB/61KG (this angle makes it looks like no rep, but I'd say its debatable)

Dip +160LB/72KG

Legs:

Nordic Curl (bad form)

Pistol Squat +55lbs

Starting Point:​

22 yrs old / 180lbs 81.5KG / 6ft 183cm

Some experience with bodybuilding, very inconsistently (didn't like it much)

2-3 Pull-ups

20-25 Push-Ups

Couldn't hold a tuck front lever (July 2018)

Could barely squat a barbell with zero weights

1000+ hours in both Rocket League & SSB4 ๐Ÿ˜…

Injuries:​

\More information on the stats sheet linked again* here\*

Ohhhh so many. Forearm Splints, Tendonitis, Chronic Neck pain, Sprained Shoulder, and a few skateboard falls.

8 months total of these past 36 months I havenโ€™t been able to train because of these injuries.

I regressed basically back to scratch at the end of 2019 (1.5 years into training).

It's given me a new respect for how precious strength is, how hard it is to actually make it to an elite level, and a lot of knowledge on how to rehab myself.

How I train:​

\My exact training plan is on the bottom of the Stats sheet* here\*

Split: Upper/Lower split for the past year. This year, weekly frequency is every 3 days, so a little bit more than twice a week. I don't train legs that consistently, usually only once per week, sometimes less...

Handstands: 1-4 times a week, 15-60 min, right before upper-body sessions, after leg training, or when I feel fresh on off days. There is no structure to my handstand training, which I think is hindering my progress (need to fix this moving forward)

Flexibility: Usually, train flexibility during/after leg days or before Handstand training. Iโ€™ve been very inconsistent with flexibility this year compared to previous years.

Strength Training Ideology:

I train with a loose structure and keep a focus on RPE/RIR and periodization. If that sounds complicated, itโ€™s basically going a few reps shy of my limits at the beginning of a training cycle, then adding reps/difficulty weekly, to get to something I can barely do. Rinse and repeat.

I say loose training structure because Iโ€™m very willing to break away from the plan if Iโ€™m feeling weak or particularly sore with an exercise. I donโ€™t do this with my main pushing or pulling exercise, but Iโ€™ve found that being flexible with the rest of my plan helps me manage my fatigue and DOMs much better. (I would not suggest this for beginners,

@button Holy crap man, amazing progress! The difference in physique, body awareness, and form are substantial and you should be proud as hell. Love to see the mix of strength with skills and weighted calisthenics too, keep it up and youโ€™re gonna be even more of a beast!

@bartbreen Should be the norm! I have plenty of days that I don't feel like I look good or strong, just the way real life is, not Instagram reality.

@button I just finished watching your YouTube video, I have to say - amazing journey. Congratulations.

What amazes me - how did you manage to gain muscle while being on a low protein diet? I thought protein was essential alongside working out.

@casemt9 I always kept eating protein as a priority on my meals above anything else. So although sometimes I would restrict what I was eating to cut weight, I never limited eating food that was mostly protein. I wouldn't necessarily say I ate low protein, but I almost never got to the quote-unquote 'optimal amount' of protein in a day

As well I have a protein shake or protein bar pretty much every day to try and make up for missing that optimal amount.

That being said I know there are plenty of vegan, frutitarian, low protein athletes that are able to still make progress, maybe less than 100% optimal, but still make gainz.

@sleepy321 I should have phrased this better, it seems like I've confused a few people here. When I aim to hit all my macros, I find that I'm usually shy of the protein goal and over on fat. I'm not intentionally eating this way, but I find that without being aware of what I'm eating, I usually eat too much fat and not enough protein. This is why I'll track calories occasionally to understand what I'm eating and try and correct it with better choices.

@casemt9 There is some myth about consuming 1g/lbs (~2.2g/kg) protein.

But most studies find no advantage of consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) protein. And some research find out that there is no benefit consuming more than 0.64g/lb.

But lets say you are aiming for 1.8g/kg. For 75 kg person that's 135g protein. With 2800 kcal diet like the OP it's almost sure that you will cover these protein needs without even calculating your macros.

I mean eating a 400g yogurt with 100g oats for breakfast it's like 25g protein. For afternoon - some stir fry 300g chick breasts with 100g rice(both weighted raw) is like 75g protein. And this like ~1800 kcal already. Add some eggs and a lot of bread for the evening and you will have like 130g protein.

@casemt9 The fitness industry has greatly distorted the amount of protein you need. Most people donโ€™t have the level of MPS necessary to metabolize the protein they consume. Studies show 0.8-1.2g/kg of body weight is enough. Iโ€™ve made gains eating as little as 50g of protein a day.

@sheilal Lmao ugh only at like 1500-1700 now, I got to champ 2 back in the day in 2s and 1s. I can barely stay out of diamond now and just like to try and freestyle until I get tilted ๐Ÿคฃ

@thunderinglegion1 I neglected to shave my beard, much to the dismay of my family so that my beard could be bigger in this post than any of my previous posts.

10/10 worth it so I could get this comment from a stranger online. Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜