3 Years of Calisthenics (Lots of info)

Update: I did the calisthenics workout after lurking like a fucker for about a year. Thank you for the inspiration to get off the shelf and onto the floor. Peace

@rubesrubio Short answer: Yes

Why are there no examples? Because most intermediate/advanced athletes understand that being dogmatic is never efficient or most effective to reach their goals. They would rather do whatever it and use ALL of the tools available to them rather than trying to prove someone else wrong.

@rubesrubio I still wonder the same (being far past the beginner phase), though I've read/watched a few convinced folk say that reps are reps, added weight or not; put in the work to break down the muscles and you'll see progress.

I've DEFINITELY made a lot of progress over the years on bodyweight alone but I don't look impressive. I've got a few rare comments but I'd put my lack of progress in recent times on not eating enough rather than not adding weight.

If it helps: my max in chins (narrowgrip, hollowbody) is 18 and 30 on dips.

@rubesrubio Science says yes, in a direct comparison to higher weight low rep to high rep low weight both sides showed significant and similar gains.

The tldr is adding weight adds that extra strain your body needs to progress (in less reps/time) in order to get the same amount of muscular exhaustion you need to do significantly more reps without the weights

Also to note: the study found the high rep low weight group did have slightly lower gains in their max weight. So if that is important to you then investing in the weighted work outs is beneficial but not necessary 100% of the time.

There’s actually a lot of study’s showing the benefits of rotating workout regimes benefits gains in the long run.

@rubesrubio Eventually you'll need to go up in weight to tear the muscle effectively depending on what size you want to get to. I would imagine there is an achievable "size" you can get to with only light weights (most of that look will come from shedding all of the subdermal fat). But you can't look like a bodybuilder without adding weight. Most people don't realize how heavy their body is, so when you start to throw it around in strenuous ways, you're bound to grow. But you will only get so 'big' with just the weight of your body (since that weight will remain more or less the same, or even decrease).

@am0516 Yes, for biceps and external rotators, but never for main compound exercises. But when I was recovering from injuries, I found it waaayyy more effective for gaining back strength to do machines and basic bodybuilding exercises. Much easier to load super light and get strong mind muscle connections.