6 mos update - M/35/5’10

rkenoke

progress pic collage First pic is from 5/24/20 and last pic was from this week. Started the RR at the end of May. It was humbling to start with banded pull downs esp after being a gym rat in college. But then I got dumped in June and was sidelined after a car accident in October but i pushed through and am more inspired than ever! Shouts to meditation, PT, and therapy! If you’re thinking about making a change, just start! Even if it’s something soooo small, just collect those wins baby!

Currently no planned cardio. Twice daily 15 min longboarding sessions with my dog and challenging 5-10 mile hikes on the weekends. I also try to get yoga with Adrienne in at least once a week and have a 30 mobility regiment that I do 3x’s a week (should be daily 🤫).

Diet: I went vegetarian at the End of 2019 after watching the game changers doc. My family has a crazy history with heart problems so this was always something I wanted to do. Any day I didn’t eat meat was a win for me. Didn’t track macros, only wanted to get away from animal products. Eating about 2100 cals with protein shakes + creatine 3-4x’s week.

Here’s my 2020 workout. 3 sets of the following w/36lb weighted vest:
- ring pull ups(6-8x)
- squats (50lb dumbell x 12)
- ring dips (8x)
- deadlifts (50lb dumbell x12)
- ring rows w/elevated feet (7-8x)
- ring push ups 1-legged (12x)
- bicycle (70x)
- butterfly crunch slow (10x)

I clearly need to cut and shift my macros to more protein if I want to break past these baby gainz. Any pointers based on my body composition? I want to start working on filling/widening my chest by using a push-up circuit at the end of my sessions. Perhaps there’s a better way? Would love to fill in my peashooters too.

Here’s my 2021 routine. Please rip it to shreds!

2021 (20lb vest)
- ring pull up (elbow out)
- squats (1-legged asst pistol)
- ring dips (elbow out)
- deadlifts (50lb)
- ring row decline
- ring push ups (atomic)
- burpees (10x)
- mountain climbers (40x)
- Superman (20x)
- 3-way push-up (45x)
- banded compound crunch (10x)

Equipment:
155 lb band
125 lb band
2 adjustable dumbbells (50lb total)
Rings
Theragun

So grateful to this community. I’ve been lurking for a while and I just want to let all the other chunky monkeys or rail skinny folk out there that it’s possible. I know I’m no fitness influencer, but I’m totally cool with that. I’m a work in progress. Ive been ripped before, I’ve been heavier before. Consistency is the name of the game, like all things.

@rkenoke The thing is, starting callisthenics seems really difficult and scary, but once you feel them gainz coming in you can’t wait till the next session. I trained today and I’m so bummed that I have to rest tomorrow. I love chasing new progressions.

@sister_diane Ha hell yea man! As I get older my main priority is no injuries, at any cost. Sometimes it means calling it a quarter of the way through. It happens. Getting sidelined by an injury is the worst!

@pablo2210 Well, yeah, sort of. The word injury is not really clearly defined I guess. I usually go to my physical therapist when I feel like an injury is coming up. For example, last October my left shoulder started feeling a bit funky. Not super painful, but I definitely felt like an injury was coming in the next month or two. Now that is the absolute best moment to go visit your PT. Don’t wait until you can’t lift your arm anymore. Be proactive.

So for the past two or three months I’ve been visiting my PT every couple of weeks to work on better shoulder motion and mobility. The problem is not my training, the problem is that I should learn to move my body right. Seeing great improvements in my strength and stability already, which I will benefit from for the rest of my life.

About one year ago I also saw my PT for increasing my shoulder and thoracic spine mobility. They were absolute shit. Now that might not be classed as an injury by most but not even being able to do an overhead press because your shoulders don’t want to move in that direction sucks pretty bad. For those things you can definitely visit your PT.

And also, there’s about 7 PT sessions in my insurance package, so why not use them?

@pablo2210 100p! That’s why I see my physical therapist as well. I was doing chiro couple times a week but I find PT visits are better for working on imbalances and chiro better for pain management.

@rkenoke Damn impressive results! It's nice to see others who come from "the heavier side" and lose weight/fat while doing calisthenics, gives hope to the rest of us. Keep going, can't wait to see what the next update looks like.

@rkenoke I love the sense of honesty and humility In your post and that you talk about the emotional aspects of personal development along with the physical. You sound really cool. Also- amazing work on the transformation!

Back